Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #81
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:
Icon31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
There are lots of cases of people moving up in groups. Heck watch shows like Intervention, or even some other shows. People move up the groups. They don't move down.

There are lots of cases of people that start with weed and end of as meth or crack users.

There's rarely if ever cases of people moving down.

I think your making an incorrect assumption based on absolutes that aren't there.
But what's more common, the scenario I described or the one you described? Honest question, as I don't know the answer. It just seems from personal experience, though that it is more commom to stay within those groups.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #82
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why am I not shocked that captain crunch is against weed being legalized and is making a case that weed is a gateway drug?

I honestly can't believe people are still in the same mindset of reefer madness. Did I wake up in the 50's? I don't smoke weed and think it's a waste of money but good god it's far less of a problem imo than booze. If I had to pick between driving home and having to dodge people high in traffic or drunks in traffic Ill take the stoners any day of the week.

Whens the last time you heard of a stoner father ruining his family with his getting high? Or someone having one too many joints and beating the crap out of their wife? Or killing someone because they said something stupid and the weed caused them to overreact and flip out.

It's simply amazing how propaganda around pot will NOT die down. Let people smoke a god damn joint in their house if they want to ffs... and in the words of David Cross, not have to worry about being anally raped in prison due to mandatory sentencing laws. (this applies to USA not us but same idea)
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #83
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
A big concern i have on this issue is people who drive while high. It concerns me the same way that drunk driving does.

Any word on the existence of a breathalyzer equivalent for marijuana?
Yeah, that is my concern. Without a non invasive way to test impairment levels it is going to create issues with driving laws, or other laws where operating something while impaired can cause death or bodily harm.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #84
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Whether marijuana is legalized or not.... isn't police detection a problem RIGHT NOW?!?

How does making smoking it at home legal change that problem?

And why do I get the feeling that most people's problem with legalization comes from the fact that Justin Trudeau is backing it and that if Harper was for it, they would find reasons to be for it as well?
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #85
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannigans Law View Post
Why am I not shocked that captain crunch is against weed being legalized and is making a case that weed is a gateway drug?

I honestly can't believe people are still in the same mindset of reefer madness. Did I wake up in the 50's? I don't smoke weed and think it's a waste of money but good god it's far less of a problem imo than booze. If I had to pick between driving home and having to dodge people high in traffic or drunks in traffic Ill take the stoners any day of the week.

Whens the last time you heard of a stoner father ruining his family with his getting high? Or someone having one too many joints and beating the crap out of their wife? Or killing someone because they said something stupid and the weed caused them to overreact and flip out.

It's simply amazing how propaganda around pot will NOT die down. Let people smoke a god damn joint in their house if they want to ffs... and in the words of David Cross, not have to worry about being anally raped in prison due to mandatory sentencing laws. (this applies to USA not us but same idea)
I don't know if it's just people like him. I have smoked a lot of weed in my lifetime especially when young and it would have ruined my life had I continued on the path. I've seen what it's done to friends that had a lot of potential when young that got chronic and are now nearing their 40's working at grocery stores, painting, working construction, etc. When it comes to paying child support, the bills or buying a 1/4 of pot these guys always buy the 1/4. Always! Making it acceptable and readily attainable opens up a lot of potential issues for a less productive work force, more relationship problems, and more wasted youth.

Maybe I'm wrong but this is my opinion as I lived that life and saw what it can do and I don't want my boys to go down that path and would rather it remained illegal.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #86
smoothpops
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don't know if it's just people like him. I have smoked a lot of weed in my lifetime especially when young and it would have ruined my life had I continued on the path. I've seen what it's done to friends that had a lot of potential when young that got chronic and are now nearing their 40's working at grocery stores, painting, working construction, etc.
What about the people that are getting criminal records just for smoking a joint. Their lives are being ruined too. It stays with them for life, and most of them due to that record can't even get those jobs you mentioned. throw in mandatory sentences (which are being implemented in Canada) and people are going to jail for having a joint.
smoothpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #87
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don't know if it's just people like him. I have smoked a lot of weed in my lifetime especially when young and it would have ruined my life had I continued on the path. I've seen what it's done to friends that had a lot of potential when young that got chronic and are now nearing their 40's working at grocery stores, painting, working construction, etc. When it comes to paying child support, the bills or buying a 1/4 of pot these guys always buy the 1/4. Always! Making it acceptable and readily attainable opens up a lot of potential issues for a less productive work force, more relationship problems, and more wasted youth.

Maybe I'm wrong but this is my opinion as I lived that life and saw what it can do and I don't want my boys to go down that path and would rather it remained illegal.
Some people just can't moderate themselves, but why should everyone else be penalized for their character flaws? If someone is going to be a loser in life, they'll find a way. The same things can be applied to alcohol and gambling. There are millions of pot smokers that simply choose it as their libation (for lack of a better term) and are still successful and happy in life.

Heck, some people can't control their eating, but that doesn't mean junk food should be illegal. Or some people can't control their spending, but we still allow credit cards. Some people can't drive safely going faster than 80km/hour, but we don't set the speed limit based on those people. All of those types of people can have negative impacts on society, but we still balance it with the personal liberties of others.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 07-28-2013 at 03:50 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #88
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannigans Law View Post

You should REALLY try re-reading this thread.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:49 AM   #89
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stor...gton-post.html

Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau says he smoked marijuana about three years ago, after becoming an MP, and also revealed his late brother Michel faced a possession charge before his death in an avalanche.

In an interview with Huffington Post Canada's Althia Raj, Trudeau said his brother's legal trouble over a small quantity of marijuana was one of the experiences that influenced what he has called an "evolution" in his thinking on marijuana laws.

Trudeau told the Huffington Post that he has smoked marijuana five or six times in his life and that he does not do other drugs and doesn't particularly like to drink alcohol or even coffee.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #90
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I never know whether I believe he's telling the truth, or just telling us what he thinks will make him popular.

Its funny how quickly his evolution happened on changing grass laws. Pretty much happened after the polls came out on legalization. It was at last years liberal convention that he voted against it because he believed that legalizing would increase consumption. If you look in 2010 he was even against de-crimilization of grass because it wasn't your moms grass.

His brother died in 1998, so he's telling a bit of a fib, his evolution changed based on what made him more popular.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #91
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's likely a lot of politicians' "tough stance" on marijuana is based on their party and perception of polls of their base, and not their actual beliefs.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #92
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a load of nonsense. The timelines don't even add up. He was against legalization when he smoked it 3 years ago FFS.
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #93
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

To me he's like that Kristen Wig character on SNL who has to make up stories to one up everyone in the room because he thinks it makes her popular.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #94
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not happy with the Conservative, and if Paul Martin was still the leader of the Liberal Party, I would likely vote for them, but if Trudeau wins the next election, it will be an embarrassment for this country.
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #95
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, I would think about it with Paul Martin, even though he showed himself to be a bit of a boob when he sat back and let a vindictive Jean Chretien basically destroy him and his party.

But I always thought that he was a fiscal conservative with some liberal leanings, but as close to central as possible.

After that the Liberal's have managed to roll one boob after another out in terms of electing leaders.

I would have probably seriously looked at the Liberal Party if Marc Garneau had taken the leadership, but lost a ton of respect for him when he withdrew from the race.

I don't respect Justin Trudeau at all. I think if you look under the dictionary at the definition of "full of poop" his touseled haired head is pictured right there.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #96
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember being embarrassed when Paul Martin met with George Bush and in every picture of them together Martin came across as a giant groupie.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #97
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I remember being embarrassed when Paul Martin met with George Bush and in every picture of them together Martin came across as a giant groupie.

bull####...........oh wait

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #98
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry to interrupt the back-patting and camaraderie, but are you actually attacking Trudeau for agreeing with something popular now? I get that you two aren't ever voting for him, but this is beyond absurd now.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #99
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
What a load of nonsense. The timelines don't even add up. He was against legalization when he smoked it 3 years ago FFS.
I don't support the Liberal party so I am obviously biased but it's pretty clear this man is not ready to be Prime Minister. Pretty scary to think that he's going to get a lot of support.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #100
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Sorry to interrupt the back-patting and camaraderie, but are you actually attacking Trudeau for agreeing with something popular now? I get that you two aren't ever voting for him, but this is beyond absurd now.
It is pretty odd that the majority of politician's stances on this are so out of sync with the general population. Seeing as typically politicians just pander anyway.

I'm guessing block voting and public endorsements from law enforcement groups and soccer moms have a large part to do with this.

Tags
better than crack , bureaucracy , duuuuuude , funions , gateway , high drivers