Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2016, 04:51 PM   #21
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I wonder how much raising the minimum drink prices have really killed the bar scenes in Alberta and BC, especially the ones that cater to younger people and university students. When I was organizing an event out here a few months back, the manager told me that business has been steadily declining for a few years and that it was a citywide thing. There have also been a few bars I know of that have shutdown or changed owners over the fast five years or so.

I've also noticed that most people I hangout with are either having/finding more house parties to go to or drinking most of their booze at home and then just buying one or two at the bar, or sneaking in a flask.
About the time I quite drinking, coincidence? I think not!

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:08 PM   #22
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going to really miss those sweet washrooms, and everything that happened in there!
calumniate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:23 PM   #23
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Pubs need to be resturants essentially. All the drinking business goes to the Beerhall places like National, Wurst, Craft...etc. Basically places that offer more of a lively atmosphere.
I remember when most bars and pubs in this city didn't serve food. Period. Bars were for drinking.

Quote:
I wonder how much raising the minimum drink prices have really killed the bar scenes in Alberta and BC, especially the ones that cater to younger people and university students. When I was organizing an event out here a few months back, the manager told me that business has been steadily declining for a few years and that it was a citywide thing. There have also been a few bars I know of that have shutdown or changed owners over the fast five years or so.

I've also noticed that most people I hangout with are either having/finding more house parties to go to or drinking most of their booze at home and then just buying one or two at the bar, or sneaking in a flask.
After the last energy industry crash, the only thing that kept many bars in this city alive was 2 for 1 and 3 for 1 drink specials.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:49 PM   #24
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think it's a demographic thing. Alberta had a huge influx of 18-22 year olds over the last 15 years of boom. So when this started the bar scene was the thing. As these people aged into their 30s and had kids clubbing decreased and your craft beer lounges took over.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:00 PM   #25
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Uggg this one hurts. I honestly kinda liked the Drum more than the Ship.

Yeah it's gone downhill, but man it was one the last hold outs of a $20 burger & pint (with tip) for lunch in this city. It was still my go-to for a bite before a flames game, or after work beer with friends/old co-workers.

About a decade back a friend and I had to ban ourselves from Dub at the Pub's $9 jugs in the Bamboo Lounge.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regular_John For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2016, 07:10 PM   #26
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

#### it, I'm going down to the Drum Saturday night for one last hurrah. Might even bring a jacket so I can get the "Shot of Jager and Coat Check for $5" deal.

Ali, get the Chicken Tandoori pizza ready around 1 am....

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2016, 10:20 PM   #27
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:

I dont know, why would I go to a place like The Drum and Monkey or a typical pub on a Friday night over somewhere like Wurst where its way more lively and fun? I guess if you want a chill night to talk but I dont think most people are spending their going out budget on chill nights anymore....
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:07 AM   #28
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
I dont know, why would I go to a place like The Drum and Monkey or a typical pub on a Friday night over somewhere like Wurst where its way more lively and fun? I guess if you want a chill night to talk but I dont think most people are spending their going out budget on chill nights anymore....
Well the Drum used to not be a chill place. I've had some crazy ass nights there before. It used to get absolutely packed, and loads of good-looking women to go dance with in Bamboo.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2016, 08:56 AM   #29
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

My main memory is a Sled Island gig where Duchess Says tore the roof off the Bamboo Lounge, and another group had the whole room singing Under Pressure in karaoke.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:02 AM   #30
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Has bamboo lounge been around since the days of "radio city block" with the night gallery & the taz? Or was it called something like venom then?

If so, it was the very first placed I used a fake ID at - Good times. Always sad to see coming of age landmarks disappear.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:07 AM   #31
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearFart View Post
Has bamboo lounge been around since the days of "radio city block" with the night gallery & the taz? Or was it called something like venom then?

If so, it was the very first placed I used a fake ID at - Good times. Always sad to see coming of age landmarks disappear.
Bamboo was there when the Bermuda Triangle was there.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:37 AM   #32
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone remember Werx? That place was in that location for a couple years.

Good times. Not as fun as The Castle, Night Gallery or obviously the Republik.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote