Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-20-2016, 10:17 PM   #21
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

My favorite technique for burgers has to be cooking them on the flat top. Grilled is nice, but it's hard to beat the crust a griddle gives you in terms of flavor, especially when you have nice fatty beef.

This is using my 1/2" thick steel plate that I put right on my BBQ. Initially I got it for cooking pizzas, but it makes a mean griddle too.

spoiler for size

Spoiler!
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2016, 10:34 PM   #22
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
My favorite technique for burgers has to be cooking them on the flat top. Grilled is nice, but it's hard to beat the crust a griddle gives you in terms of flavor, especially when you have nice fatty beef.

This is using my 1/2" thick steel plate that I put right on my BBQ. Initially I got it for cooking pizzas, but it makes a mean griddle too.

spoiler for size

Spoiler!
Good point. I use this one for burgers but also really useful for doing peppers and onions or bacon.

http://store.weber.com/accessories/c...grillware/1385
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2016, 09:52 AM   #23
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oatmeal, bread crubs, starch...? Unless you enjoy meatloaf on a bun.

Talk to a professional chef and you want a ~30% fat / 70% protein ratio. With this ratio the patty is optimally juicy and flavorful, without the need for a binding agent like egg (which takes away from the "meat" taste). Ideally you grind your own meat or have the local butcher do it for you.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:55 AM   #24
TomLeeMC
Backup Goalie

Exp:

-Ground beef
-cooked bacon cut into pieces
-finely chopped onions
-onion soup mix
-egg
-soda crackers.

I've got a spice rub I'll season them with as well and let em sit for a few hours before bbqing. If I'm making them just for the wife and I or camping with the boys I'll throw in a whole shwack of Chillies and Jalapenos. Boom delicious Death Burgers!
Old 07-21-2016, 09:56 AM   #25
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Are burgers easier to cook and do they turn out better if you freeze them in a patty stacker, then grill them from the frozen state? Seems to me they might hold together better.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:01 AM   #26
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Moose or Elk
Egg
Onion
Garlic
Salt
Pepper
A few table spoons of BBQ sauce
Old 07-21-2016, 10:03 AM   #27
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Are burgers easier to cook and do they turn out better if you freeze them in a patty stacker, then grill them from the frozen state? Seems to me they might hold together better.
I always form them and let them rest in the fridge for a few hours. Never fall apart that way.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2016, 10:18 AM   #28
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You won't get a high enough internal temperature before the outside is done cooking. If your burger won't hold together from raw then you've added too much stuff and handled your meat too much (3...2...1...)
Old 07-21-2016, 10:36 AM   #29
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't freeze mine per se, but after I form the patties I do put them in the freezer for 30 minutes or so to get them nice and cold, maybe a few degrees colder than my fridge would make them. That way when I throw it on the hot grill I can get the nice crust on the outside while keeping the inside juicier.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:44 AM   #30
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Oatmeal? Really? Not sure if I'm getting punked here or not
No way man, I'm serious. The best homemade patties use oatmeal as a filler. If you want pure meat, have a steak. I vary the receipt a little each time, but oatmeal is the key. Typically it's lean ground beef, oatmeal, egg (optional), salt/pepper, worcestershire sauce and sometimes a little hot sauce for extra flavour. I find the oatmeal does increase the cooking time though. So put it on a little longer unless you want pink burgers, which is a whole other thread.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:59 AM   #31
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
No way man, I'm serious. The best homemade patties use oatmeal as a filler. If you want pure meat, have a steak. I vary the receipt a little each time, but oatmeal is the key. Typically it's lean ground beef, oatmeal, egg (optional), salt/pepper, worcestershire sauce and sometimes a little hot sauce for extra flavour. I find the oatmeal does increase the cooking time though. So put it on a little longer unless you want pink burgers, which is a whole other thread.
I guess I'm not clear why anyone would want a "filler" in their burger. That's what you find in those cheap no-name frozen patties at superstore. You also need fat for proper moisture, flavor and searing - it's science.

Your recipe is literally a meatloaf recipe:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/me...t-loaf-1233712

...but to each their own I guess.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:00 AM   #32
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

- Lean ground beef
- Bread crumbs or soda crackers or Panko (whatever is handy and needed because of the key ingredient)
- 1 egg per 2 pounds of beef
- Cumin!!
- Cayenne
- chili powder
- Lots of garlic
- Pepper
- A & W seasoning salt
- PC chipotle & beer BBQ sauce (key ingredient)

Normally I am not a fan of bread crumbs when I make burgers, but if you are adding in a BBQ sauce you need to have enough stuff to soak it up. I tend to make 1/3 to 1/4 lb patties and freeze them since I make so many at a time (usually a giant Costco package of meat at a time). Plus then there are always burgers around that are quick, easy and better than fast food when that urge hits.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:01 AM   #33
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a big believer in the dimple method, it really help the patties not develop that ugly bulge during cooking.

I'd like to find a patty press that has a dimple built in though.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:11 AM   #34
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearFart View Post
I guess I'm not clear why anyone would want a "filler" in their burger. That's what you find in those cheap no-name frozen patties at superstore. You also need fat for proper moisture, flavor and searing - it's science.

Your recipe is literally a meatloaf recipe:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/me...t-loaf-1233712

...but to each their own I guess.
I've never made meat loaf, but I would imagine it uses more oatmeal than I put in my burgers. I also add finely diced onions and garlic. Again, if I want nothing but meat I eat a steak. If I want a burger, I want flavor and texture. Also, I don't think store bought burgers have oatmeal in them. I agree that you need some fat and that's why I said lean ground beef versus extra lean. Oh, and meat is never the same after you freeze it.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:17 AM   #35
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
I'm a big believer in the dimple method, it really help the patties not develop that ugly bulge during cooking.

I'd like to find a patty press that has a dimple built in though.
The one I linked in post #5 works perfectly for making dimpled burgers.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:23 AM   #36
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
The one I linked in post #5 works perfectly for making dimpled burgers.
I guess the old one is discontinued. This is the new one. $12

https://www.amazon.ca/Prepworks-Prog..._title_kitchen
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2016, 11:24 AM   #37
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess one thing I should have mentioned is I hate onions. HATE EM! Awful things. Only onions I can tolerate is green onions. White or red? Vomitron.

That being said, I don't mind the flavour so onion powder is fine.

Tons of good suggestions guys, thanks.

What is this "dimpling" method though? I have one of those pattie formers from like the 70's. It obviously forms the patty but also puts a cross cut pattern into the meat, is that dimpling?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2016, 11:24 AM   #38
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
I've never made meat loaf, but I would imagine it uses more oatmeal than I put in my burgers. I also add finely diced onions and garlic. Again, if I want nothing but meat I eat a steak. If I want a burger, I want flavor and texture. Also, I don't think store bought burgers have oatmeal in them. I agree that you need some fat and that's why I said lean ground beef versus extra lean. Oh, and meat is never the same after you freeze it.
I haven't made burgers in years with filler and I have never used oatmeal so I'm not sure how burger texture is different between 100% meat vs filler patties but wouldn't it potentially be better to use 100% meat and a quality bun to find the texture you desire?

Meat quality, seasoning and cooking technique are all important factors for a good burger but something that is often times overlooked is the bun. The type of bun can easily make or break a burger. Toasted vs not-toasted, buttered or not, soft, white or whole wheat, etc is all very important. I use a variety of different buns depending on the type of burger I want. When I just want a quick delicious burger I like to go with a dinner roll that is buttered and toasted. With the dinner roll it reminds me of an In-N-Out burger.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:30 AM   #39
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I guess one thing I should have mentioned is I hate onions. HATE EM! Awful things. Only onions I can tolerate is green onions. White or red? Vomitron.

That being said, I don't mind the flavour so onion powder is fine.

Tons of good suggestions guys, thanks.

What is this "dimpling" method though? I have one of those pattie formers from like the 70's. It obviously forms the patty but also puts a cross cut pattern into the meat, is that dimpling?
You just want the patty thinner in the middle because it contracts towards the middle as it cooks. Leaves you a nice even flat burger when it's cooked instead of the hockey puck shaped ones.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:32 AM   #40
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Just push your thumb 1/3 of the way into the top centre of the patty. It allows some of the steam to escape and proteins to contract in a controlled fashion, maintaining the patty shape during cooking.

When you see non-dimpled patties cook and become those awkward rounded baseballs, its supposedly because the expanding steam ballooned the center upwards.
The Following User Says Thank You to NuclearFart For This Useful Post: