Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2016, 09:12 AM   #201
Kswiss
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just saw this movie yesterday with my brother. Not a good movie. So many plot holes, unanswered questions. Also way too many characters were introduced with absolutely no real back story. Honestly I didn't think the Joker was all that great. They could have done so much more with these awesome characters.

Hype sells, so Ill give them that.
Kswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:14 AM   #202
Kswiss
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Also I though those random Harley Quinn jokes were just jammed in there for no reason. No one really reacted to her jokes.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:40 AM   #203
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I didn't think the Joker was all that great. I don't think the writers did Leto any favours but IMO he was too over the top.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:34 PM   #204
Kswiss
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah, and apparently even Leto was disappointed with how he was used.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:01 PM   #205
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsieve View Post
2. The storyline and lines given to the actors and actresses were terrible. Leto and gang could only do so much with what they were given. I don't understand how the criticism doesn't fall completely on the Director and whoever wrote such an awful, pointless story.
Apparently the whole production was quite rushed, and there wasn't much time to write the script.

Writing good dialogue is often especially time-consuming. (Or so I've read.)
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:09 PM   #206
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went and saw this movie last week I think. I fell asleep for about 30 minutes as it rambled on through the interminable introduction.
Dan02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:47 AM   #207
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I actually went and saw this again last night, my nephew wanted to go. Since I had zero expectations the second time around I actually enjoyed myself, I just checked out for the horrible parts and watched it like a 90's action movie. There are a few shots in there that are straight out of the comics that I missed the first time. But I am convinced the best parts were all in the trailer.. which is usually a sign of a bad movie. So many loose ends.. the editing, all over the place.. what a mess. To bad.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:18 PM   #208
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

(Addressing what was going on on-set, good lord that is not how you direct a movie. You might have one loose cannon of an actor, but in this case the director was joining in. What the hell.)

This movie was comparable to the Punisher in quality and story. The Dolph Lundgren Punisher.

I could watch Margo Robbie eat toast for two hours.

If they are going to do weak backstories on everyone, and fill them all full of cliches, I would have rathered they just started the movie and didn't have a single flashback. Build the characters through story. Such as when they were all sitting in the bar discussing their crimes. One of the only cohesive scenes in the movie.

Up until now Ayer has done a number of small character driven movies such as End of Watch. This movie contained none of the touch that made him marketable as a director. The smart move for him, in terms of his career, would be to admit himself into rehab (as a way of explaining to the world what the hell happened here).

This movie successfully ruined Enchantress as a potential villain in a Justice League Dark. How can you not make an undead possessing witch scary? Go watch the Conjuring, give the witch superpowers, and then come back and make this movie again.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:26 AM   #209
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched this movie last night.

+ Will Smith.
+++ Margo Robbie. Sex appeal aside, she did very well capturing some sort of Kim Bassinger feel from the original Batman moments. And she had a perfect amount of crazy.
+ Diablo
+ Joel Kinnaman
+ Afflecks Batman Cameo
+ All the action sequences that didn't involve the Enchantress

- Jared Leto's Joker. Thug Joker didn't jive with me, worst iteration. Still goes Jack Nicholsons Joker then Heath Ledgers then the O.G then the cartoon one.
- Killer Croc. Meh.
- Aussie Boomerang guy. Was really just screen fodder. I didn't really see the point.
- Witch and Warlock combo (Enchantress and her Brother). Reminded me of a terrible version of Anne Rices Akasha and Enkil with a terrible ghostbusters rip off for their plot. Where is Rick Moranis as a dog when you need him?
- More Katana please. And that soul swallowing sword needed to be a heavier influence.

Story was essentially Ghostbusters #1. Meh. The action was cool. Soundtrack helped.

Still better than Soups vs Affleck.

EDIT: They built Enchantress up so eerily well in the first throws of the movie too, then decided to vomit all over whatever edge they had with her. It was almost Exorcist like and then....splat.

Last edited by dammage79; 08-24-2016 at 04:46 AM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:41 AM   #210
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally saw this on Sunday.

I thought the first 20 minutes were rough, but once it got going, what a fun flick. Really enjoyed it. Will Smith, Margot Robbie were fantastic. I actually really enjoyed Leto, and really liked where they took Joker/Harley's relationship.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:01 AM   #211
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was meh.

It could have been great.

Split the intro out into a Harley/Joker movie given them more time. Cut out a few of the squad and make a tighter movie. You need to fix the motivation for the squad as well a bit and make the Villam work but this is a movie where you lament what could have been in the right hands.

These big movies need to be made smaller. The avengers series works because of the relationships. The down time between the set pieces make or break these movies.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:46 PM   #212
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
- Aussie Boomerang guy. Was really just screen fodder. I didn't really see the point.
This is Captain Boomerang's role...He's a ridiculous character from the 1960s that is still somehow being used today. He has the dumbest ability and the fact he was introduced to face off against the Flash, who can move at the speed of light, is absurd.

His basic role is to be a mouthy group member who gets taken out easily.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote