Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-06-2015, 11:01 AM   #1
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Skiing (boarding) 2015 - 2016

Figured it might be time to start a new thread.

Where are you buying season passes this year?
Any big trips planned?

I'm looking to get into boarding more this year. Been too long. Hoping to maybe get out 10-15 days this season. Not sure what the best location is for short day trips either with a buddy or even alone to get a few runs in.
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:25 AM   #2
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Probably going to go a lot less this season from what has to be an all time high last season.

Having a mortgage sucks balls.

Still planning a couple trips to Kimberly though so hopefully they see some snow this year, unlike last year.

I got really lucky last season hitting 3 powder days despite the lack of snow overall. El Nino is sticking around again this winter so who knows how it will go.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:37 AM   #3
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Got my family pass for COP and I can't wait to go at least to there every weekend. Sprinkle in some Louise days and it should be a nice winter. Another month or so to go.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:44 AM   #4
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

3 days of CAT skiing booked in Revvy, and going to try to make it out to either Powderking or Red/Whitewater this winter.

And tons more backcountry. Got some new Fritschi/Diamir bindings and getting the new Line Sick Day Tourist. So stoked. Hoping for at least a mediocre snow year.

Headed out hiking by Cirque Peak last week. Was so tempted to pack the skis up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Ha ha!
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:51 AM   #5
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Probably going to go a lot less this season from what has to be an all time high last season.

Still planning a couple trips to Kimberly though so hopefully they see some snow this year, unlike last year.

I got really lucky last season hitting 3 powder days despite the lack of snow overall. El Nino is sticking around again this winter so who knows how it will go.
How did you manage that? Last season was the worst season in decades here. Unless you don't go very much at all to start with. I only made it out 7 times last year and that was with me trying to go as much as possible!

I'm hoping this year is the best season ever. But I already have a bad feeling it's going to be like last year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchlandsselling View Post
Figured it might be time to start a new thread.

Where are you buying season passes this year?
Any big trips planned?

I'm looking to get into boarding more this year. Been too long. Hoping to maybe get out 10-15 days this season. Not sure what the best location is for short day trips either with a buddy or even alone to get a few runs in.
Castle Mountain is my favourite hill so I usually have a ski card for there, as well as Louise. Last year some family members went to one of the big hills on Montana (can't remember the name) and they said it was well worth it. So I'm gonna try and hit that up this year.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:52 AM   #6
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yeah my buddies are talking about doing some back country stuff this year... But it's mentioned every year... I guess we'll see what the snow is like. I could actually afford to go more often if we actually end up taking the avy course and doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
How did you manage that? Last season was the worst season in decades here. Unless you don't go very much at all to start with. I only made it out 7 times last year and that was with me trying to go as much as possible!
Lots of my friends and my girlfriend got really heavy into skiing last year so there was a big push to go often. I think I skied some where in the 15 range. Lost count but lots of overnight trips helped pad those numbers. Also got super lucky with snow too.

Kimberly, Sunshine and Kicking Horse all had ~20cm days when we went. We weren't even chasing snow. Just dumb luck.

Last edited by polak; 10-06-2015 at 11:56 AM.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:08 PM   #7
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think I skied some where in the 15 range.
15 is a record!?

If you ever take that AST and ever want to head out to something relatively low risk let me know. I'm always up for heading out.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:10 PM   #8
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

With el nino this year I am very hesitant to book any trips this year.

Might head to kelowna over new years since I have free lodging there. Hit Big White or something.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:40 PM   #9
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
With el nino this year I am very hesitant to book any trips this year.

Might head to kelowna over new years since I have free lodging there. Hit Big White or something.

Same. Got burned by Whistler last year, will definately take this year one snowfall at a time
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:43 PM   #10
mrbanffgirl
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

If you are looking for good used (and some new) at great prices, come up for this swap. loads of gear, clothing - boots skis and boards.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:49 PM   #11
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll probably be mostly at Louise for resort days with the occasional Castle trip. I'm still recovering from ACL surgery. I want more touring days as a result (the up isn't as hard on the knees as the down). Maybe some slackcountry too.

Kunk, Polak, if you want to do a touring day somewhere I'd be down - you guys both have AST1 and all gear right?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2015, 04:58 PM   #12
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
you guys both have AST1 and all gear right?
Yup got it all last December. Which reminds me I should probably run through the book this fall for a refresher.

Since you mentioned Castle, on either Sundays or Mondays (don't recall), they open up their CAT skiing terrain to skinning or bootpacking up. Nice groomed CAT track to skin up, great pow stashes on the way down. Need beacon/shovel/probe and min groups of two.

Last edited by DownhillGoat; 10-06-2015 at 05:03 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2015, 04:59 PM   #13
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Big group again this year got the cheap Nakiska passes, drank more beer than boarding at the hill last year.

Montana booked, and lots of Sunshine/Louise hopefully this year again. Bring on the SNOW!!!
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:11 PM   #14
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Got the bargain Nakiska passes again. I understand they added more snow making equipment?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:03 PM   #15
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Count me in for a CP touring day too! Did my AST1 last year but I'm always looking for people to learn from.

Last year was brutal. I went on a weeklong trip from here to Whistler (and back) in February. The only snow during the entire trip was 3cm at Sunshine! On the bright side, I did get to check Delirium Dive off the bucket list!
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2015, 01:04 PM   #16
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So where should I be looking at getting a pass/passes? At what amount of attendance is a pass worthwhile? Looks like Nakiska and Norquay are the closest and I missed some impressive spring sales.
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:16 PM   #17
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

As per usual my work (Sports Rent) is starting our October tune special doing complete ski tunes for $25 and boards at $30. Drop them off anytime in October and we'll have the ready for you before the hills open!

Also if you're looking for some used gear we have a bunch of adult options for skiing/boarding and xc skis as well. Our website has all the gear listed currently for sale. http://www.sportsrent.ca/current-sale-items/
fleuryisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fleuryisgod For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2015, 03:56 PM   #18
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleuryisgod View Post
As per usual my work (Sports Rent) is starting our October tune special doing complete ski tunes for $25 and boards at $30. Drop them off anytime in October and we'll have the ready for you before the hills open!

Also if you're looking for some used gear we have a bunch of adult options for skiing/boarding and xc skis as well. Our website has all the gear listed currently for sale. http://www.sportsrent.ca/current-sale-items/
I might stop by this weekend, been looking for new equipment!
Looch City is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:01 PM   #19
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Since you mentioned Castle, on either Sundays or Mondays (don't recall), they open up their CAT skiing terrain to skinning or bootpacking up. Nice groomed CAT track to skin up, great pow stashes on the way down. Need beacon/shovel/probe and min groups of two.
Hahaha I know, I've been doing that for a while (not alone) and they weren't happy about it but couldn't really do anything. So I guess they eventually gave up and are now just trying to keep it to a couple days per week once it's already tracked. It's great, you get lift access 80% of the way in and if you feel like switching it up just go back to doing resort skiing. The hill is basically made for frame bindings.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2015, 08:22 PM   #20
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchlandsselling View Post
So where should I be looking at getting a pass/passes? At what amount of attendance is a pass worthwhile? Looks like Nakiska and Norquay are the closest and I missed some impressive spring sales.
Personally I prefer doing the snow cards. You basically have to get out to the same hill ~16 times before a pass pays for itself (last time I checked). Cards give you more flexibility, variety, and you can usually get deals on lift passes if you stay on hill, which you don't really get with a season pass. No idea how hard/often you ski, but I'd be bored with a seasons pass at Norquay. IIRC they still have a good mid-week sale on though.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post: