Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #21
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
I could live with 8-10 HD channels (TSN, TSN2, SNW, SN1, Score, AMC, HBO, CTV, Global) and be completely satisfied. Interesting.
you forgot CBC for HNIC

me personally I would only need TSN, TSN2, SNW, SN1 and CBC. The only time I watch TV is hockey, with the occasional Jays game in the summer.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:05 AM   #22
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
you forgot CBC for HNIC

me personally I would only need TSN, TSN2, SNW, SN1 and CBC. The only time I watch TV is hockey, with the occasional Jays game in the summer.
Well, if you don't get AMC for The Walking Dead, then you're not one of the cool kids. For shame.
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:25 AM   #23
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finny61 View Post
I'll just remain pessimistic on how this will play out.
Sadly that's my impression as well. Yes they "can" un-bundle channels, but I'd be shocked if the providers went full on a la carte and still kept prices reasonable.

"Oh sure, you can pick any channel you want for only $5/month (plus additional system access fees/taxes/regulatory recovery fee, system enhancement fee) but why not consider our most popular KableKlassics Package*? For just $30 you get over 30 channels! A savings of x% from our a la carte pricing!"

*The KableKlassics package can not be combined with any a la carte channels but additional KableKlassics add ons can be purchased for an additional charge
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #24
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilKiller View Post
Well, if you don't get AMC for The Walking Dead, then you're not one of the cool kids. For shame.
any TV show I watch I just download, the only thing I ever watch "live" is sports
Old 07-22-2012, 11:00 AM   #25
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
any TV show I watch I just download, the only thing I ever watch "live" is sports
Really?

I try to watch as much as I can on TV prior to downloading it. If it's my last option though I will (Futurama).

Though I do hope one day soon we will move away from the cable model and most things are on demand.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #26
taffeyb
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Let's see the pricing for the individual channels before we start toasting this....What would be ideal is if we can get various channels from different providers through the exiting infrastructure. TSN from Bell and TLC from Rogers....etc...that would lead to competitive pricing...no different that the phone companies having to allow competitors access to their networks...
taffeyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #27
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
you forgot CBC for HNIC
I forgot nothing.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:02 PM   #28
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, there's no way they're going to price this so they make less than they are now.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #29
Red Ice Player
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I can't wait to drop TLC from my line up. I would happily pay extra to have that piece of crap channel disappear forever. What a waste of an HD slot.
Red Ice Player is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red Ice Player For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2012, 02:00 AM   #30
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Really?

I try to watch as much as I can on TV prior to downloading it. If it's my last option though I will (Futurama).

Though I do hope one day soon we will move away from the cable model and most things are on demand.
I work midnights and have some insomnia issues (which has me sleeping alot of evenings), so I can never catch shows when they are on and if I do I am behind (which drives me nuts) so without a PVR it's either download or don't watch and I refuse to set an alarm to wake up for anything TV related other than the Flames.

To be honest alot of the stuff I end up watching will also be in the summertime when there is no hockey, or I will be so out of the loop I won't even know about a show until a season or 2 are finished. Unfortunately I am not in a position where I have much disposable income so paying the prices associated with purchasing full seasons are usually out of my price range, so I will download full seasons in the summer and watch them then.

Last edited by Alberta_Beef; 07-24-2012 at 02:05 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #31
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any idea when this is going to happen?
Old 08-21-2012, 03:17 AM   #32
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
Any idea when this is going to happen?
damn you! lol. I seen this was bumped and I was hoping it had new info
Old 08-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #33
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Ice Player View Post
I can't wait to drop TLC from my line up. I would happily pay extra to have that piece of crap channel disappear forever. What a waste of an HD slot.
What? You don't like quality programming such as "My Gipsy Redneck Wedding," and "Fat People Who Wear Wedding Dresses," followed by "Midget Gastric Bypass Stories?"

Remember when TLC actually used to be educational? Remember when the History Channel actually used to be historical? TV is a barren wasteland and a sad reflection on society.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #34
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

In half? more like 90%. When this happens I am only ordering sports channels. That's it. Everything else can be downloaded/streamed.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #35
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Which is why all your hopes of this actually being good should be dashed.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #36
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
We are all just counting down the days when our bills can be cut in half. Can't wait, its going to be awesome. Wouldn't want to own the stock in these companies though.
LOL...why do I have visions of Fotze turning blue as he continues to hold his breath... I know, I know, green text.
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #37
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
In half? more like 90%. When this happens I am only ordering sports channels. That's it. Everything else can be downloaded/streamed.
You really think these crooks are going to make it cheaper? They'll make TSN and every other sports channel $10 each.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:20 PM   #38
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

If may cable isn't cheaper after cutting 90% of my channels im cancelling it. Cheaper to go the bar for every flames game probably
Old 08-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #39
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
You really think these crooks are going to make it cheaper? They'll make TSN and every other sports channel $10 each.
Well it's not just the cable operators. Sports are by far the most expensive channels on cable/satellite television for the distributors.. TSN and Sportsnet gets about $16 per subscriber a year, whereas CBC News gets about $6, Comedy gets about $4, YTV gets about $3 and The Score around $2.50.
(All the numbers for each channel are here BTW: http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/publicatio...l/ipsp2011.htm )

Last edited by Julio; 08-22-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Julio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:56 PM   #40
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
If may cable isn't cheaper after cutting 90% of my channels im cancelling it. Cheaper to go the bar for every flames game probably
15 games a month would be at least $150 a month, and that's if you're the worst bar patron in the world.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote