Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2016, 06:58 AM   #261
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarMeter View Post
I'm heading to Louise for the weekend. Looking at the web cams I'm very scared. It looks pretty bad up there. Has anyone been to Louise in the last couple of weeks?
Was there last week. Lots of runs closed, lots of grass showing. For some reason the top of the world chair is closed, which I found odd since the back side should see less sun and have a bit more pack left.

It's basically front side skiing for full price right now. I've got a free day left on my card and IMO unless they get a spring dump it's not even worth the free day, unless you're planning on just sitting in the beer gardens.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2016, 09:21 AM   #262
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Was there last week. Lots of runs closed, lots of grass showing. For some reason the top of the world chair is closed, which I found odd since the back side should see less sun and have a bit more pack left.

It's basically front side skiing for full price right now. I've got a free day left on my card and IMO unless they get a spring dump it's not even worth the free day, unless you're planning on just sitting in the beer gardens.
Ya, I was looking at the web cams and and saw a lot of brown. Didn't look too appealing, Screw it I'm still going to go. Thanks.
CedarMeter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:17 PM   #263
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

I usually don't mind 1 day in April and I have a free day at Louise, but doesn't sound worth it this year?

How often do you guys wax your skis? What about edge sharpening? How many days out.

I got out 8 days this year and took some tree/rock damage on the edges. Pretty minor but I'm wondering if I should get the full tune.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:51 PM   #264
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post

Top of the World is closed Monday to Thurs, says so on their site. Were you up on a closed day? It looks like you get $30 off with a louise card, and can bring a friend for a discount:
http://www.skilouise.com/news-and-in...2016-04-14.php

Given the forecast, I wouldn't be going up this weekend...
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:24 AM   #265
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Top of the World is closed Monday to Thurs, says so on their site. Were you up on a closed day? It looks like you get $30 off with a louise card, and can bring a friend for a discount:
http://www.skilouise.com/news-and-in...2016-04-14.php

Given the forecast, I wouldn't be going up this weekend...
Yeah. Didn't realize they were closing it mid week. I don't ever recall them doing that in April before, but then again they're usually getting mid-April dumps.

Ramen/Sushi bar is closed for the season. Everything IMO points to them gearing down earlier than expected.

As far as discount goes, we just got the regular card discount, IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
How often do you guys wax your skis? What about edge sharpening? How many days out.

I got out 8 days this year and took some tree/rock damage on the edges. Pretty minor but I'm wondering if I should get the full tune.
Entirely depends on snowpack and what you're riding on.

Resort skis my general rule of thumb for waxing is about every 5 days, 10 if conditions are better or I'm lazy (as opposed to every 15-20 for my backcountry gear). Haha although when I worked in a tech shop it was every time out.

Sharpening about the same, but I go by feel a bit more than times out. If you can run your fingernail across the edge and it scrapes the surface of your nail off, it's sharp enough, and you can probably get away with just de-burring the damaged sections (although I'm also saying this not knowing the extent of your damage, I'm assuming minimal).

Either way, I do a full tune either at the end of every season or the start. Always good to have a base grind to keep the edges and base flush to start the season (if you're tuning your own gear during the season especially).

I'll throw a shoutout to fleuryisgod at Sports Rent and suggest taking your gear there in October:
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpos...1&postcount=17
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2016, 01:21 PM   #266
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks for the advice. Based on this year's meh conditions I should probably get them fully done.

I did remember the October deal! I also keep my eye on groupons.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:15 PM   #267
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

RCR has there early bird season pass sale on now. Sale is on until June 25. For Nakiska it is $259 for an adult and $599 for a family. They also have RCR multi-mountain passes available for students in grade 2 next year at $20.

https://skircr.com/product-retail-pa...axo_resort=323
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:06 PM   #268
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

First Snow (Teepee Town):

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...gust-1.3731253
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post: