Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2011, 07:20 AM   #41
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
Wizard & Glass (the 4th book) might be the best in the series after the first one.

I won't say I enjoyed the last 3 as much as the first 4, but you should absolutely finish the series.
I'm with you, I loved the 1st and 4th book. Will probably make a point of reading them again sooner rather than later. I really hope one of the movies is just Wizard & Glass. Gunslinger goodness.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:54 PM   #42
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Cancelled...

http://cliqueclack.com/tv/2011/07/21...tower-tv-show/

Quote:
If you didn’t catch the news, word came down earlier this week that Universal dropped the forever-in-development film adaptation of Stephen King’s enormous Dark Tower series. With Ron Howard at the helm, the news came as a bit of a surprise. In all honesty, though, it was only a bit of a surprise. The series is huge, spanning seven novels (and an eighth follow up in the works). I’m not sure how it ever could have been translated to the big screen, even with a talent like Ron Howard directing.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:14 PM   #43
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I read they are going to other studios right now (Howard and Co.) to see if another studio will finance it.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:18 PM   #44
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:04 PM   #45
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thing is still out there:

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/stephen...-brian-grazer/

Stephen King's 'The Dark Tower' Headed to HBO According to Producer Brian Grazer

Yesterday the Internet began buzzing from an interview snippet with producer Brian Grazer discussing the stalled production of The Dark Tower, a multi-platform adaptation of Stephen King's seven-part fantasy western epic.

The project was originally planned as three films with Universal Pictures with a television series expected to fill in the gaps in-between the films as there was simply too much material in King's book to satisfy only a trilogy of films and it sounds like they aren't deviating from those plans, but where the films and TV shows will be housed remains up in the air.

The project, as it was presented, fell apart when Universal passed back in July '11, though Grazer has always remained optimistic saying attached director Ron Howard was "trying to get outside financing to make it, and distribute it through a major studio." Well, it seems there is some movement on that front.

First off, Grazer was quoted by The Playlist saying, "We found a way to cut $45 million out of the budget without changing the scope and actually giving it a good ending… In the $140 million draft, the ending wasn't quite as satisfying. Now, we've got $45 million, $50 million out of the way and a really satisfying ending. It's gonna get made."

Okay, so it's going to get made and on a $90-95 million budget, and I have to assume he's referring to the first film in this case, but where will it get made?

In speaking with MTV he says, "We're going to do that movie… We'll do the TV with HBO and the movie… to be determined." Grazer's pause before "to be determined" leads me to believe there is a leading candidate for the feature film portion of the project but he didn't want to say too much, but he is clearly confident in HBO and also says he believes they'll be able to maintain Javier Bardem as the story's lead character, the gunslinger Roland Deschain.

You can watch the video with Grazer below where he also briefly mentions the potential "Arrested Development" film.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #46
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Slight update, Russel Crowe on board and Javier Barden out?

http://www.deadline.com/2012/08/warn...is-in-the-mix/
Old 08-04-2012, 11:07 PM   #47
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

That makes more sense. For this thing to really draw the general audience to make it worth it's budget and immense scope, you need some star power draw.

While Eastwood in his prime immediately comes to mind as the archetype of this role, Crowe fits too if you think about the majority of the books as being the story of a middle aged knightly gunslinger that has seen better days (living in a world that has seen better days too).
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:44 AM   #48
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Looks like its Matthew McConaughey and Idris Elba

Stephen King @StephenKing
It's official: The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed. #DarkTowerMovie @McConaughey @idriselba
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2016, 08:08 AM   #49
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:
Default Dark Tower Movies AND TV Series

Based on Elba's tweet, I figure he's the gunslinger and McConaughey is the man in black.

https://twitter.com/idriselba/status/704679302781083648

.@McConaughey you have one new follower. #DarkTowerMovie https://twitter.com/stephenking/stat...74793145159680
Old 03-01-2016, 10:12 AM   #50
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The revival of the Dark Tower wasn't at all hurt by the development of the Stand and potentially other movies in the King Universe. Likewise the development of 'universes' as a whole are the biggest thing in hollywood at the moment.

McConaughey was first linked to Flagg in the Stand, and there is a real possibility that he is looking at this as a longterm project.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1648190/...=tt_cl_sm#cast (current crew list)

Aaron Paul is also rumoured to be circling Eddy.

I'm not a fan of Goldsman at all, and his current work on all of the horrible Transformers movies is a testament to his quality, but Grazer and Howard are solid (and I hope not too family friendly). It's interesting that they brought in two 'artsy' guys as writer and director. That could be a good sign.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:40 PM   #51
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

I am so excited for this! For anyone who hasn't read the books I highly recommend them
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:00 PM   #52
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never read the books. It doesn't look like a horror, but more like a futuristic dystopia... Which would be a horror to experience...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:17 PM   #53
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I started reading The Dark Tower while on vacation last week. I'm about 70% finished but I'm not completely into it yet. The parts that I do like, I really like, but so far it feels a little slow. Does it pick up or is the first half of the book a strong indication of the series?
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:50 PM   #54
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Each book is quite different. I don't know how I would describe the whole series.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2016, 05:03 PM   #55
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Spoiler!

Spoiler!
Old 07-15-2016, 03:06 PM   #56
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Hmm not a fan of this art direction. He looks like a magician or strolling on the set of Doctor Who.

I guess I always envisioned something very different from the books. Sort of a romantic fallen empire and a bizarre wild west frontier.

There's a girl with leopard print heels and another with white sneakers
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:42 PM   #57
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Idris Elba looks badass but why is M. McConaughey doing his best blue steel impression.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:05 PM   #58
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Hmm not a fan of this art direction. He looks like a magician or strolling on the set of Doctor Who.

I guess I always envisioned something very different from the books. Sort of a romantic fallen empire and a bizarre wild west frontier.

There's a girl with leopard print heels and another with white sneakers
I always envisioned combination of run down Wild West like unforgiven combined with a GOT type fuedal world where the gunslinger grew up combined with a steam punk style dystopia.

So that first picture is pretty close for me
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote