Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2016, 12:37 PM   #201
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't bother with that. I just tell them to call or text before they are about to come. Then it saves a bunch of that scheduling madness - at least from my end.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 12:41 PM   #202
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have bought an incredible amount of stuff off Kijiji. My truck, guitar amps, guitars, wheelbarrow, doors, garage door, and on and on.

Always make it simple. Make a call early evening or on weekend, get an address and tell them I'll be there in 30 mins. As soon as they start making it difficult I forget about it and move on.

"Will let you know, my brother might be home I'm not sure" "How about next week?" "I have it on hold for someone, can you call back tomorrow?"

I don't even bother at that point.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2016, 01:58 PM   #203
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Group Buy?
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-business-indu...teLocale=en_CA
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GP_Matt For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2016, 03:04 PM   #204
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
My latest issue is getting people to commit with 100% certainty to a date/time to come by to do the transaction.

Me: "OK, lets do the deal at $X. I can meet anytime after 6pm, what time works for you?"

Buyer: "Yeah I think tomorrow works for me. Send me your address"

Dude, I'm busy and happy to meet at a time of your choosing. However, I'm not going to waste a glorious Sunday evening just sitting around waiting for you to (maybe) show up sometime Sunday. Next!
You can't wait around for anyone. Set a time that works for you. If the person can't make it, or stands you up. Forget about them.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:29 PM   #205
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
You can't wait around for anyone. Set a time that works for you. If the person can't make it, or stands you up. Forget about them.
Oh I'm definitely not waiting around. My goal is to negotiate a firm fixed time in advance.

Unfortunately I seem to be attracting buyers who don't operate on a schedule.
I-Hate-Hulse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:19 PM   #206
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Let's Talk About Kijiji

Had a guy yesterday evening who never bothered showing up. I was just working from home anyway, but next time I'll set a strict time.

If he contacts me again he can go and stuff himself. I'm not selling to him now on principal.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:28 PM   #207
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

This pisses me off so much.

Private companies that use kijiji not to list anything in particular but as a general ad for their business, not in the services section but in the buy & sell. Even that wouldn't be so obnoxious, but some - like the one above - spam the #### out of the listings, including every possible keyword in their ad, and post four times a day so the whole section is stuffed with their ads.

... On an unrelated note, if anyone has a suggestion as to where I can get some 245 40 r19 Pirelli performance tires for cheap with more than 50% tread, let me know.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2016, 04:33 PM   #208
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did you try ALBERTATIREDEPOT.COM?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2016, 04:40 PM   #209
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Did you try ALBERTATIREDEPOT.COM?
Spoiler!
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2016, 12:28 PM   #210
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
This pisses me off so much.

Private companies that use kijiji not to list anything in particular but as a general ad for their business, not in the services section but in the buy & sell. Even that wouldn't be so obnoxious, but some - like the one above - spam the #### out of the listings, including every possible keyword in their ad, and post four times a day so the whole section is stuffed with their ads.

... On an unrelated note, if anyone has a suggestion as to where I can get some 245 40 r19 Pirelli performance tires for cheap with more than 50% tread, let me know.
I think these companies have an app that lets them automatically reload the same ads everyday. Ive seen some companies load the same ad daily for weeks, months, etc with no changes in the ad (or price) at all
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 12:44 PM   #211
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i had a laser printer for sale on kijiji for a while and after very limited interest i moved it from $10 to free.

one guy wanted me to meet him at a c-train station with it, and then a woman expressed interest in it and after making arrangments for her to pick it up on three different days (i was planning on leaving the printer on my front porch for her to pick up), she sends me a message telling me that she forgot she did not have a car and could not pick it up - i did not even respond to that message

i took the ad off of kijiji and have put the printer in my donate to kidney clothes of the diabetes folks pile of stuff
Old 08-25-2016, 01:49 PM   #212
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I reported a bunch of annoying ads that were posting "wanted" ads in for "offering" sections.

Looking at phones is a horrible mess. Look up as specific a model of phone and memory capacity as you can and you still have to sift through people's ads like "will trade for iPhone" or similar crap.

I don't know if reporting does anything. It makes me feel marginally better.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:17 PM   #213
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Love Kijiji.

Next time I have something of minimal value (~ $20) I want to conduct a social experiment of sorts.

Leave the item on the driveway/front lawn and tell the person to put the money in my mailbox, or under the front mat.

See how many people comply, or if people take the item and run.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:13 PM   #214
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never had an issue with leaving stuff out and having an envelope in the door.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2016, 06:35 AM   #215
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
Love Kijiji.

Next time I have something of minimal value (~ $20) I want to conduct a social experiment of sorts.

Leave the item on the driveway/front lawn and tell the person to put the money in my mailbox, or under the front mat.

I don't know about kijiji, but I'm almost positive if you did that with someone on CP you would get the money. I think that if you said the price was something like $18 and just asked people to leave it in the mailbox CPers would leave you $20 the majority of the time. Probably because even the anonymous people here are only so anonymous.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2016, 11:14 AM   #216
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
Love Kijiji.

We do this all the time with selling. Never been stiffed but my wife does throw in the line of "don't be the person who destroys my faith in humanity by not leaving the money in the mailbox' when communicating with them.

Always get the money, and on top of that usually some sort of acknowledgement - e.g a thank you and happy face on the envelope with the $ in it, or follow up message from people saying thank you my kid or whoever loved it.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RedHot25 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2016, 07:04 PM   #217
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another gear grinder - idiotic part out requests that effectively render the entire item useless.

(This comes via the same moron I mentioned above who can't work with specific times and dates, just on a different ad for something else I'm selling for $100)

Struggler: "Hey, can I have one wheel off the stroller? I just need to replace one wheel. I'll give you $10"

Me: (debates sending snarky reply, presses "block this person" instead)
I-Hate-Hulse is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2016, 11:36 PM   #218
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some times I think I should just go trolling on kijiji. Reply with wired trade requests, delivery times and lowball offers.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 01:17 AM   #219
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Some times I think I should just go trolling on kijiji. Reply with wired trade requests, delivery times and lowball offers.
So in other words, you want to blend in with the crowd?
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2016, 10:16 AM   #220
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

best one I had was when I posted winter tires off of my pilot. I get a reply asking if I would be willing to trade for a washing machine. I forward the email to my best friend because I thought it was funny, and my buddy tells me to ask if it's a front load. Anyways, we go back and forth haggling on the winter tires for washing machine and now dryer, and then I get a phone call from my friend laughing is arse off. It was him all along.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote