Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2020, 09:10 AM   #1821
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
What’s left for Calgary without the flames? This pretty much says it all on this debate.

Look I understand why its being funded and built. However this notion that its a benefit for the masses is total bunk
It's a benefit only insofar as it ensures the long term tenancy of the Flames in Calgary. Without a new building they will move on. I don't think snyone here is pretending otherwise, but for the Flames to remain in Calgary for the next decades is itself something a lot of people will consider positive and beneficial.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:13 AM   #1822
BurningSteel
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
Enjoyment for relatively few. The VAST majority of calgarians cannot afford to attend events at the saddle dome, never mind what it will cost to attend something in this place.

And most who can afford to attend a flames game once or twice a season are likely very content with the saddledome

I only go once/twice a year and I actually dread it. The event itself is fine but the concourse and bathroom crowds and the appearance all suck to me.
BurningSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:16 AM   #1823
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know it is anecdotal, but there is a bit a pride as a Calgarian when you have someone who has grown out side of hockey culture and when introduced starts to live and breathe Flames colours. That is why it is unique having a major sports club in your city so people can have these sort of sport awakening. Next thing you know, a kid 15,000km away is wearing Flames colours.

My wife had a co-worker from Australia that was introduced to hockey a couple seasons ago. Guy just had a blast at a game and came back to the office bouncing off the walls with his experience. Single game turned into a bunch from the office looking for deals on stubhub and the like to go as a group. So when his work visa is up in a year and he heads back, he will be taking all his Flames jerseys and experiences with him.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
JBR
Old 02-04-2021, 06:06 PM   #1824
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread title is outdated, but figure to bump this one, and perhaps a new thread can be made once the design is released, which should be this spring. But even without the renders released yet, a construction start date has been set for this August.

Major work set to ramp up in 2021 on BMO Centre expansion, new arena and Stampede LRT station revamp

Quote:
The design of the new arena, which will replace the Saddledome, is expected to be unveiled this spring and construction is slated to begin in August. Both new facilities are pegged for completion in 2024.
Joborule is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2021, 06:34 PM   #1825
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

That disgusting LRT station (and pedestrian ramp and bridge) is coming down for something wayyyyy more modern and accessible. Can’t wait!
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2021, 06:51 PM   #1826
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
That disgusting LRT station (and pedestrian ramp and bridge) is coming down for something wayyyyy more modern and accessible. Can’t wait!
But will it maintain its brutalist charm?!!?
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:59 PM   #1827
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
But will it maintain its brutalist charm?!!?
(Unfortunately) No.

Old 04-07-2021, 08:51 AM   #1828
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBR View Post
Chatter on SkyriseCities forum tonight suggesting there is bad news coming next week about this project. Yikes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Any details? Is Nenshi stepping down before August or something? Just thought it my be related to Nenshi's news about not running and the election in October. If for some reason he stepped down before the election, I could see politics ruining the day once again.
I am not an expert in this, but if the City pulled out of the agreement due to an upcoming election after negotiating and and I am assuming incurring design costs, who the heck would ever enter into another massive project agreement with them?

Delays sure, but I can't see the City coming out and saying the project is cancelled until the new council has had a chance to vote, seems bad faith and incompetent.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mull For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 09:41 AM   #1829
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Construction costs have gone sky high. I would not be surprised if it’s now considerably more expensive to built. I really don’t get where the money’s coming from on this one, both from the Flames and the city. The Flames revenue has got to be well below zero, maybe losses of 50-100 million dollars.

Why would a cancellation be surprising? Is it even remotely responsible for a broke city and team to afford such a luxury?

Although it could be a major announcement that they will remove the toilets, like the Oilers did.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 04-07-2021 at 09:59 AM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:44 AM   #1830
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol, wouldn't this just be the icing on the cake of a crap season. Bad team and a canceled arena.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:46 AM   #1831
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Lol, wouldn't this just be the icing on the cake of a crap season. Bad team and a canceled arena.

Maybe it's the motivation the organization needs.

'We thought we entered into an agreement with an NHL team, since that doesn't appear to be the case we need to revisit our position...'
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 09:47 AM   #1832
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
If this deal actually does get cancelled, I think it would spell the end of the team in Calgary and it would absolutely poison the water between the City of Calgary and the NHL.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:53 AM   #1833
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
If this deal actually does get cancelled, I think it would spell the end of the team in Calgary and it would absolutely poison the water between the City of Calgary and the NHL.
I would assume for how optically bad this would look for Calgary to cancel the deal, that this will not happen. The city recognizes that this project is just as important for them, as it is for the Flames.

The absolute worse I can imagine happening is a delay in construction since they said it was suppose to begin this August.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 11:08 AM   #1834
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Arena Negotiation Discussion v2

The good news hype train for this team just keeps on rolling!
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:35 AM   #1835
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

If the city pulls the plug on this, say goodbye to the team. They will have no motivation to stay and would abandon ship relatively quick. If the Flames leave and the CFL collapses that’s it for sports in this city. I’d imagine the owners would sell off or fold the Hitmen/Roughnecks and we would truly be left with nothing.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:40 AM   #1836
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Familia View Post
If the city pulls the plug on this, say goodbye to the team. They will have no motivation to stay and would abandon ship relatively quick. If the Flames leave and the CFL collapses that’s it for sports in this city. I’d imagine the owners would sell off or fold the Hitmen/Roughnecks and we would truly be left with nothing.
Why would the owner's want to sell one of the most lucrative franchises in the entire CHL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:43 AM   #1837
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Familia View Post
No way, surely Bettman will go begging to the city like he did in Pittsburgh or just have the NHL buy the team like he did in Phoenix. Right?
Old 04-07-2021, 11:48 AM   #1838
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Why would the owner's want to sell one of the most lucrative franchises in the entire CHL?
Why would the owners all stick around to own nothing but a Jr. hockey team? Part of the reason the Hitmen are lucrative is because of the tie ins with the Flames and all of CSE’s properties. If the two biggest properties leave or fold (Flames/Stamps) I personally don’t see the point of CSE existing anymore. I’d imagine maybe one of the owners would keep the team as a pet project but the majority owners would probably cash out. WHL teams don’t print money hand over fist. So many teams have relocated. Can you honestly imagine Murray Edwards sticking around to own only the Hitmen? Just my opinion, but I don’t see these upper level owners who thrive on prestige sticking around to fund a couple minor league teams.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:51 AM   #1839
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well this should be fun. Kk will be doing flips in his grave if this falls through. What a slap in the face.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:52 AM   #1840
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

It might be worth waiting to be sure that mass gatherings will be possible sometime this decade before breaking ground.

It seems possible that we may be in for several years of mutations that make it tough to get COVID sufficiently under control. We'll hopefully get closer to life as usual, but packing stadiums may not prudent for some time to come...
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote