Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2019, 05:26 PM   #801
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think most here understand that this wasn't a black and white case, and really something that wasn't deserving of something more punitive. It's disappointing he got what he did, and the judge should be chastised for coming up with that. People driving drunk and killed have got less. I hope there can be some justice for him in his appeal (if he chooses to do so), because it really helps nobody.
bluejays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:03 PM   #802
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://www.ngnews.ca/news/regional/...-people-83219/

Drunk guy drives cement truck into family, gets 8.

Not that it matters, but ... you can't do this kind of thing.
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:34 PM   #803
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

A large truck is a dangerous weapon. Drivers of those trucks owe the rest of the population a duty of care.

I truly feel symapthy for the driver and of course the families, but the accident was avoidable and as humans, we need to appreciate our actions have consequences. We need to hold ourselves accountable IMO.

I don’t know the right answer. And vengeance is the last thing from my mind. But that doesn’t mean I don’t think the driver did something absolutely horrible here.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:41 PM   #804
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nobody wins in a case like this. Prison time won't bring the victims back, true. But no one is suggesting a harsher penalty would. But you can't just let the person directly responsible to just walk away. They need to be held accountable, and serving time in prison is a way to do that.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 11:25 PM   #805
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

An 8y sentence = out on parole after 2-2.5 years I would guess, which seems ok to me. I think 6 years would have been more reasonable, but either way this guy will never be the same. I doubt he cares about the extra 3-6m of jail-time right now.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:51 AM   #806
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
An 8y sentence = out on parole after 2-2.5 years I would guess, which seems ok to me. I think 6 years would have been more reasonable, but either way this guy will never be the same. I doubt he cares about the extra 3-6m of jail-time right now.
It is an exceptionally severe sentence, especially taking his immigration circumstances into account. He does have an opportunity to make submissions that he not be deported in writing but has no right to an appeal hearing and it is exceedingly rare that such discretion is used to set aside removal for someone who is given such a severe sentence.

At least he will most likely go to minimum security but given that he will have a deportation order, he won't be eligible for day parole or early parole despite otherwise qualifying and will go directly from release on parole to detention for removal, which will be carried out immediately.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 01:05 AM   #807
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Off topic, say if you are a naturalized Canadian citizen, will you get your citizenship revoked and be deported back to your country of origin?
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 01:07 AM   #808
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Off topic, say if you are a naturalized Canadian citizen, will you get your citizenship revoked and be deported back to your country of origin?
No. If the same accident takes place the day after his citizenship ceremony, there would be no immigration consequences.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fan in Exile For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2019, 09:32 AM   #809
Redlan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
His sentence is that he will live with this for the rest of his life.

Eight years seems a bit like piling on to me. But I understand the need for a penalty that is somehow representative of the loss (though that is of course, entirely impossible).

There is no win here.

Why do people keep putting themselves in someone else’s position and assume that they feel the same way that you would feel? Pretty presumptuous.
Also I don’t get the idea that consequences are a “win” or “lose” scenario, especially when 16 lives were lost and so many more impacted. That probably is your point, I just don’t ever see how, as an observer, looking for win in this tragedy is going to directly benefit or be a detriment to those involved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Redlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:33 AM   #810
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlan View Post
Why do people keep putting themselves in someone else’s position and assume that they feel the same way that you would feel? Pretty presumptuous.
Also I don’t get the idea that consequences are a “win” or “lose” scenario, especially when 16 lives were lost and so many more impacted. That probably is your point, I just don’t ever see how, as an observer, looking for win in this tragedy is going to directly benefit or be a detriment to those involved.

So what are you suggesting?
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:54 AM   #811
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:

Empathy and the ability to have it is one of a humanities best qualities actually.

You may think it’s presumptuous but it’s how we broaden understanding.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2019, 09:56 AM   #812
Redlan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
So what are you suggesting?

Sorry that I singled out your post, my comment was directed at multiple sentiments and posts. I get that you and I may “have to live with this the rest of {my} life” if it we were found guilty of a similar tragedy, but to project ones own values and feelings into the guilty parties persona does not mean that is what they feel as we would. There is going to be a long lasting impact from this incident, and my thoughts are with those who are/were innocent, not those that are guilty.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:00 AM   #813
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
No. If the same accident takes place the day after his citizenship ceremony, there would be no immigration consequences.
And nor should there be.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:12 AM   #814
Redlan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Empathy and the ability to have it is one of a humanities best qualities actually.

You may think it’s presumptuous but it’s how we broaden understanding.

I do not disagree that it is one of our greatest qualities. However, empathy in this case should focus on the victims. I tell you one thing, the thought of me losing a son to a tragedy like this evokes a SUBSTANTIALLY stronger emotion than the thought of me being found guilty of taking 16 lives.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:14 AM   #815
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
I do not disagree that it is one of our greatest qualities. However, empathy in this case should focus on the victims. I tell you one thing, the thought of me losing a son to a tragedy like this evokes a SUBSTANTIALLY stronger emotion than the thought of me being found guilty of taking 16 lives.

This seems presumptuous.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:19 AM   #816
dre
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

How would you feel if it were your son driving the truck?
dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:23 AM   #817
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Again I will ask..if 8 years for taking 16 lives seems excessive, what is the appropriate punishment? (Again I will point out it is more likely than not he will be released in less than 5)

Or should there be no punishment instilled by the justice system...but only in this case?
Old 03-23-2019, 11:30 AM   #818
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Again I will ask..if 8 years for taking 16 lives seems excessive, what is the appropriate punishment? (Again I will point out it is more likely than not he will be released in less than 5)

Or should there be no punishment instilled by the justice system...but only in this case?
There is no appropriate punishment. That is the point.

Nothing will change the tragedy, nothing (punitively) will aid the victims and those affected.

8 years, 5 years, 20 years, even 2 years, really changes nothing. It won't change the outcome, it won't help avoid the next incident, it doesn't change the punitive value of the exercise, there is no need to 'make him think twice next time', there is nothing to be accomplished from the length of the term.

That does not mean that there shouldn't be jail time, just that there is no right answer, or even a particular goal to be achieved by the length of it - other than, something had to be done and he had to pay a penalty.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2019, 01:17 PM   #819
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this is the first case where the deportation provision seems very severe. I don’t see any likelihood of reoffense here. The 8 years doesn’t bother me too much as being on parole in 2-3 seems reasonable as their needs to be a consequence despite a lack of intent but then being deported from your life is too severe for this crime.

Does he have a family here or is he a single guy?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 01:53 PM   #820
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
i was thinking it woujld be interesting to know what the families thought of the sentence, my guess is that they are likely all over the map similar to how we have different opinions....almost a year to see this come to some conclusion
Chances are that most will be satisfied with how high it is for the crime he was charged with, though obviously a few will always think it is too little. That's natural.

Chances are also that many of them will feel differently when his parole comes up. That's when it will really hit them that he is 'free' while their relatives are still dead. That's going to be the next big emotional-legal hurdle for them.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote