Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-25-2016, 08:49 AM   #1241
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

With some talk of a fairly weak draft depth-wise after a certain point, I wonder if the Flames might be better off asking for picks from next year instead of this one. It obviously delays the gratification and progression of an asset, but it may be a smarter thing to do long term....assuming of course next year's draft is better than this one! Anyone know how next year is looking?
Old 02-25-2016, 08:51 AM   #1242
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
A late August/ early September signing of Russell might be okay. I would take him back at his current salary.
I wouldn't. If they keep the supporting cast of a mediocre team, they'll continue to be mediocre.

There are only about 9 guys currently on this team that I hope are still here in 2 years.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Backlund, Frolik, Ferland, Bennett, Giordano, Brodie, Hamilton and Wotherspoon. Everyone else can go.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:55 AM   #1243
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Isn't the draft really weak after the top 10? I would target a prospect for Russell or Hudler.
Top 15 or so look solid.

The thing about getting picks back is they are currency. Gives Treliving the flexibility to try and package picks to move up, or for a good young player (like Hamilton). Imagine EDM picks 2 or 3 and Chia decides the smart move is to draft Chychrun, might be a good opportunity to trade up from spot #4 so we could draft a Finn.

Prospects would be good as a return but draft picks are useful in multiple ways.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2016, 08:55 AM   #1244
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree but Ferland really needs to show he's better then he's been playing most of this year. Backlund I think should be traded if we can take advantage of the situation from a desperate team otherwise keep him. Wotherspoon has been solid in some games and just not good in others but I agree they should give him time to see how he progresses.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:58 AM   #1245
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
A late August/ early September signing of Russell might be okay. I would take him back at his current salary.
no, no , no just no. If he is resigned he will be played in top 4 and we need someone that can move the puck into the other end instead of just jumping in-front of everything. Would rather sign Schlemko to Russell's current contract than Russell at Schlemko's current contract
Old 02-25-2016, 09:00 AM   #1246
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I agree but Ferland really needs to show he's better then he's been playing most of this year. Backlund I think should be traded if we can take advantage of the situation from a desperate team otherwise keep him. Wotherspoon has been solid in some games and just not good in others but I agree they should give him time to see how he progresses.
For those young guys, when I say I hope they're still here in 2 years, I mean that I hope they're still here because they progressed into full time players that are worth keeping around.
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2016, 09:01 AM   #1247
loob job
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetric View Post
I think when a deal does go down for Drouin it will be something like

Drouin + Carle
for
Wideman + Sieloff + 3rd

something like that give or take. I dont think they will get a top end prospect, but a couple B level prospects/picks and a roster player. With their cap situation that would also mean cap coming back in any deal.
, will take way more than this. Montreal offered them Beauliaue and McCarron and Tampa turned it down.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:05 AM   #1248
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

gotcha. I really want Ferland to turn into the kind of player we saw in the canucks series but he hasn't really shown much progression at all.

I do agree that having Russell on this team past monday would be a mistake. I think the team needs to cut ties with most of it's current players and I don't understand why so many people want to bring some guys back. If they're young and still developing, I can understand but guys from this team who are what they're going to be already need to be looked at differently. No need to bring back Russell or Wideman, suggesting bring back Jones should be a crime, and I'd rather pick a fan from the game to be in net then either one of the current Flames goalies.

It's time to change and develop into a good team not keep the same bad team together and hope for the impossible.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:12 AM   #1249
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I don't disagree with what you are saying on some of the offers, but Drouin hasn't done anything this season to make one believe he'll be a quality player. There is a lot of risk associated with taking player like this.
You're going to be shocked when you see what Yzerman gets for Drouin. Two years ago he was considered one of the top three 18-year-old hockey players in the world. Nobody's stock plummets as fast as you're suggesting. Not unless they blow out an ACL and then get busted driving 160 with a bag of coke.

There's a reason half the teams in the NHL have expressed interest in Drouin - talent like that is extraordinarily rare.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2016, 09:17 AM   #1250
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
I wouldn't. If they keep the supporting cast of a mediocre team, they'll continue to be mediocre.

There are only about 9 guys currently on this team that I hope are still here in 2 years.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Backlund, Frolik, Ferland, Bennett, Giordano, Brodie, Hamilton and Wotherspoon. Everyone else can go.
Russell is pretty far down the list as far as Flames problems go IMO. I see what you're saying, I wouldn't sign him for his reported ask that's for sure. Russell isn't total trash though, he's a solid #5. The problem is when he gets leaned on too heavily.

Why we suck:

-goaltending
-special teams
-overall team defense
-having a bottom 4 of Russell, Wideman, Engelland and Smid. Personally I view Russell as the best of this bunch
-Mediocre bottom 9 forwards

This team has issues, but Russell by himself isn't one of them. Total team construction is the issue here. Do you thing a team like Chicago is going to turn to poo because they trade for Russell? Of course they won't, he's a solid depth defenseman who apparently wants an albatross contract. For now though, he's a solid rental for a good team looking for depth. There's a reason he's highly sought after, he can't be as bad as people say around here. I just don't believe random internet guys are better hockey guys than actual NHL GMs. Russell must be decent to have multiple teams interested in acquiring him.

For me, I wouldn't mind Russell back, after we've traded him, and assuming a guy like Wideman is moved and Smid is gone (bought out/LTIR). If those things don't happen, I don't want him back. I certainly don't want him re-signed before the TDL. It would have to be a situation where we get some kind of discounted rate because he went unsigned for a couple months.

The following D core would not be bad and expecting more might be out of line with reality.

Brodie
Giordano
Hamilton
?????
Russell (signed for 3x3m at most)
Engelland/Nakladal
?????

(If Nakladal keeps it up I would like to see Engelland moved)

????? could be anyone. A young emerging surprise or a UFA/trade. There are holes but that's not a bad framework for a rebuilding team. Ask the team up north, defensemen are not easy to acquire and take forever to develop. I don't think fans appreciate how good our D is considering we're still rebuilding. There's three really good pieces there, but they need support. Russell can be a guy like that but he needs better support from his peers in the bottom 4.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:18 AM   #1251
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetric View Post
no, no , no just no. If he is resigned he will be played in top 4 and we need someone that can move the puck into the other end instead of just jumping in-front of everything. Would rather sign Schlemko to Russell's current contract than Russell at Schlemko's current contract
I would love if Schlemko came back. I think him and Russell would make a great bottom pair. Obviously we are still missing a true #4. Not an easy problem to solve. If it's not Russell in there, it's probably going to be another mediocre guy for now. I agree that Schlemko is better than Russell fwiw.

Last edited by Fire of the Phoenix; 02-25-2016 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:21 AM   #1252
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
You're going to be shocked when you see what Yzerman gets for Drouin. Two years ago he was considered one of the top three 18-year-old hockey players in the world. Nobody's stock plummets as fast as you're suggesting. Not unless they blow out an ACL and then get busted driving 160 with a bag of coke.

There's a reason half the teams in the NHL have expressed interest in Drouin - talent like that is extraordinarily rare.
And the year before, Yakapov was considered one of the top prospects in the world too. I think teams have interest in him because of his potential and low cost. Tampa is realistically being forced to trade him, debate it all you want but Drouin is playing for them or their farm and is just sitting there. They have to trade him and teams know that so his value is going to be less then it originally was and he's also not really been amazing so his value isn't going to be crazy.

I don't think Tampa will give him away but I don't think he'll get the best return at the deadline either.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:22 AM   #1253
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would much rather push for a trade with Dallas to grab Nichushkin if they're dangling him rather than grab Drouin.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:23 AM   #1254
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loob job View Post
, will take way more than this. Montreal offered them Beauliaue and McCarron and Tampa turned it down.
they want help now as well as for future so that offer does not help them now would be why they turned it down.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:24 AM   #1255
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post

It certainly seems one of us will be surprised. I hope we get to find out in the next few days. I'm pretty confident I won't be the one shocked, not after seeing the number of trades that have gone down the past couple of years. I mean, who would have thought you would see Hamilton moved for just draft picks, or Shinkaruk for only Granlund, Sutter for crap, and Oshie for next to nothing? And these were guys playing well or with an established body of work. We'll see how it plays out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2016, 09:24 AM   #1256
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Gotta think Drouin ends up in Vancouver. Benning seems to have no problem overpaying for what he wants.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:30 AM   #1257
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Gotta think Drouin ends up in Vancouver. Benning seems to have no problem overpaying for what he wants.
I think this will happen too. Would not be surprised to see a Horvat/Drouin swap. Horvat is a Gillis pick and Benning manages those like he's dealing with a rodent infestation.

Acquiring Granlund makes so much more sense if there is another move involving a center coming. If it were any other GM, I would almost expect it. This is Benning though, so it's probably just a bad move.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:31 AM   #1258
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Farhan Lalji @FarhanLaljiTSN
Hearing that #Blackhawks have serious interest in Hamhuis & Vrbata. No word yet on whether Hamhuis is willing to waive NTC. #Canucks
Old 02-25-2016, 09:35 AM   #1259
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
And the year before, Yakapov was considered one of the top prospects in the world top.
Yakupov has NEVER been as highly thought of as Drouin. Not before he was drafted, not right after he was drafted. Drouin was drafted in a much, much better year. I think at least 8 players from Drouins year would've gone ahead of Yak if you put him in that draft, maybe more.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:42 AM   #1260
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Farhan Lalji @FarhanLaljiTSN
Hearing that #Blackhawks have serious interest in Hamhuis & Vrbata. No word yet on whether Hamhuis is willing to waive NTC. #Canucks
Interesting. The only players that Chicago has to even out a trade of this kind financially, are Bickell and Scuderi. I would think that they would hold negative value, so the return would be.... Dano+?

Although the Canucks are losing three D to UFA next year, so I would think that the player involved would be Scuderi to make something like this work. Not the worst idea in the world for Vancouver. I wonder how they will make it horrible somehow.