Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2019, 03:29 PM   #81
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

I for one is excited to see what Smith does tonight. His confidence is obviously sky high and hes played some of his best hockey this season of late.

I have total confidence in Big Save Dave to get his game back on track when he gets the chance, so why not ride Smith now till he falters? Let Rittich watch and wait for his chance to take back the net. Sometimes hunger is a great thing.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:36 PM   #82
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I'll go with a 7-5 Flames prediction as the Flames find their scoring chemistry and proceed to go on a bit of an offensive roll following this game
How many goals does Bennett get called back?
Old 02-20-2019, 03:40 PM   #83
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
I for one is excited to see what Smith does tonight. His confidence is obviously sky high and hes played some of his best hockey this season of late.

I have total confidence in Big Save Dave to get his game back on track when he gets the chance, so why not ride Smith now till he falters? Let Rittich watch and wait for his chance to take back the net. Sometimes hunger is a great thing.
Smith still has worse numbers than rittich. What sort of message does this send to BSD?

"Hey Dave, we know we gave Mike about 25 starts and he was pure garbage, and you had top 5 goalie numbers through your first 20. Recently though we think you've come down to a top 20 tendy range so instead we're gonna keep going with this guy who has worse stats than most of the goalies who have started for philly this year. Hes almost got his save percentage back to .9!! Sorry, we just have a long history with mike and frankly we dont like you."

How are we supposed to build rittichs confidence this way? He is a far more important asset both immediately and long term. Mike smith should be playing in the ahl right now. I would be discouraged if I was BSD.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2019, 03:40 PM   #84
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post

I would love for Smith to stay hot and give us above average goaltending going into the playoffs. Also me being greedy with the less Rittich needs to prove to us this year and in the playoffs, the decrease in his cost for his next contract.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:53 PM   #85
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Smith still has worse numbers than rittich. What sort of message does this send to BSD?

"Hey Dave, we know we gave Mike about 25 starts and he was pure garbage, and you had top 5 goalie numbers through your first 20. Recently though we think you've come down to a top 20 tendy range so instead we're gonna keep going with this guy who has worse stats than most of the goalies who have started for philly this year. Hes almost got his save percentage back to .9!! Sorry, we just have a long history with mike and frankly we dont like you."

How are we supposed to build rittichs confidence this way? He is a far more important asset both immediately and long term. Mike smith should be playing in the ahl right now. I would be discouraged if I was BSD.
I think understandably if Rittich never interacted with any of his teammates and coaches, and if all the information he ever received about or from the team came via the media and internet message boards. However, given that this is not the case, I see no reason why Rittich should be discouraged providing that the coaches continue to do their jobs. He is 0-2-1 in his last three starts. Mike Smith is 2-0-1. I expect that every NHL goalie knows and accepts how the ebbs and flows in a season can affect his workload. Here's hoping that regardless of the result tonight Rittich will get the start v. Anaheim on Friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2019, 04:02 PM   #86
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I think understandably if Rittich never interacted with any of his teammates and coaches, and if all the information he ever received about or from the team came via the media and internet message boards. However, given that this is not the case, I see no reason why Rittich should be discouraged providing that the coaches continue to do their jobs. He is 0-2-1 in his last three starts. Mike Smith is 2-0-1. I expect that every NHL goalie knows and accepts how the ebbs and flows in a season can affect his workload. Here's hoping that regardless of the result tonight Rittich will get the start v. Anaheim on Friday.
So when smith had a stacked loss to win record and bSD was like 10-1-2, why did the coaching staff choose to continually interrupt Dave's hot streaks to try and start up Mike smith? Honest question because if it worked as you say it did, we would have gone like 3 months without seeing smith. That did not occur. But now that smith has strung together two victories against some #### teams (his only +.9% games in the last 5 are against Arizona and florida, while against Pitts Washington and SJ he was around .87) hes vindicated and on a hot streak we shouldnt interrupt because that's the way it is??
It does not add up and so I'm calling BS on your take.
We dont know what the coaches or management are telling him, you're right. But I am not sure I would be buying it if I were him.

Last edited by Monahammer; 02-20-2019 at 04:05 PM.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2019, 04:06 PM   #87
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
* He is 0-1-1 in his last 3 starts. Smith picked up the L vs SJ
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:08 PM   #88
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Playing Smith to try to keep Rittitch's contract down... Well played Flames :-)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:20 PM   #89
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
Sportsnet 1 -- regular SHAW 159 for HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Or 224 if you like HD
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:26 PM   #90
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
So when smith had a stacked loss to win record and bSD was like 10-1-2, why did the coaching staff choose to continually interrupt Dave's hot streaks to try and start up Mike smith? Honest question because if it worked as you say it did, we would have gone like 3 months without seeing smith. That did not occur.
You would have to ask the coaches, but as I have maintained since November I expect that it is directly tied to the fact that Rittich is young and a first-year NHL starting goalie. The goalies are not treated exactly the same because they they are not exactly the same. One is just starting his career and the other is approaching the end of his.

Quote:
But now that smith has strung together two victories against some #### teams (his only +.9% games in the last 5 are against Arizona and florida, while against Pitts Washington and SJ he was around .87) hes vindicated and on a hot streak we shouldnt interrupt because that's the way it is??
That is not at all what I am saying, and I have already stated that my preference would be to start Rittich tonight. My guess is that there are things occurring behind the scenes and in practice that coaches take into serious consideration when naming a starter—especially given their situation and the time of year.

Quote:
It does not add up and so I'm calling BS on your take.
We dont know what the coaches or management are telling him, you're right. But I am not sure I would be buying it if I were him.
It does indeed add up if you manage to see past your own righteous indignation to consider the manifold variables that can affect a player's performance and mindset over the course of a hockey season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 02-20-2019 at 05:01 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:37 PM   #91
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pregame links
https://scores.nbcsports.com/nhl/pre...&home=3&vis=12
http://sportsstats.cbc.ca/hockey/nhl...summary_5.html

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:39 PM   #92
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames game will be joined in progress on Sportsnet West once the Jets-Avlanche game is finished.

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hwy19man For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2019, 04:50 PM   #93
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Why wouldn't an NHL veteran who's proven they can be a starter, that we are trying to figure out if they've finally just hit the end of the road or are just in a slump, than a 2nd year goalie who's track record to date is can be good in streaks but only sustained opportunity to be a number one last year was disastrous, get different treatment paths?

I don't say that to knock on Rittich, I actually full faith in him taking this starters job and am cheering for that for no other reason than it's the best short and long term thing for the Flames. I bring it up because people get so fussed over "exact" same treatment for each and every player. But the truth of the matter is, no player is ever in the exact same situation as the other.

Maybe the Flames have treated the two differently, but that would make sense to me given one is a up coming goalie who we are hoping can be our number one, and the other is a veteran goalie hitting the end of their career who we hope still has some gas left in the tank.

I feel like players understand that too, and I don't think Rittich can look back at what's gone on this year and feel like the Flames aren't giving him a chance, so who cares. Also Rittich appears to be far more mentally tough that you give him credit for, and if this little adversity is rocking his confidence (which I doubt it is) we don't want him near our net come playoff time.

Last edited by Cleveland Steam Whistle; 02-20-2019 at 04:52 PM.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2019, 05:09 PM   #94
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow.. reading HFboards and so many Islanders fans rooting yo meet Calgary in the finals. A lot of them love Hamonic.
keenan87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:20 PM   #95
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

can't go to game - anyone interested in tickets?

section 225 row 7 right on the offensive blueline

face is $160 I think, cost is $135ish (each)

best offer
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:46 PM   #96
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rather would’ve had Rittich in net for this game, hopefully smith proves me wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:53 PM   #97
ASP#26525
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
My little girl saw her first live game on Monday, and now she has a little brother as of last night.

go Flames go!
I'm only going to quote the happy parts Congratulations on your son! GFG!
ASP#26525 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ASP#26525 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2019, 05:55 PM   #98
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Flames need to go on the full out attack tonight. If they score 3 they are going to win. If they try to play into a defensive slug fest, they wont.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:33 PM   #99
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Flames will need at least 5 tonight but I’d love to be wrong
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:36 PM   #100
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
Why wouldn't an NHL veteran who's proven they can be a starter, that we are trying to figure out if they've finally just hit the end of the road or are just in a slump, than a 2nd year goalie who's track record to date is can be good in streaks but only sustained opportunity to be a number one last year was disastrous, get different treatment paths?

I don't say that to knock on Rittich, I actually full faith in him taking this starters job and am cheering for that for no other reason than it's the best short and long term thing for the Flames. I bring it up because people get so fussed over "exact" same treatment for each and every player. But the truth of the matter is, no player is ever in the exact same situation as the other.

Maybe the Flames have treated the two differently, but that would make sense to me given one is a up coming goalie who we are hoping can be our number one, and the other is a veteran goalie hitting the end of their career who we hope still has some gas left in the tank.

I feel like players understand that too, and I don't think Rittich can look back at what's gone on this year and feel like the Flames aren't giving him a chance, so who cares. Also Rittich appears to be far more mentally tough that you give him credit for, and if this little adversity is rocking his confidence (which I doubt it is) we don't want him near our net come playoff time.
I'll give you that Rittich has shown that he is mentally resilient. But he has every right to feel the organization has not shown faith in him. Goalies have felt undermined by far less in the past. Not ready to declare the sky is falling but Peters is walking a very fine line here. I still have more confidence in Rittich than Smith, and I would bet the players do too.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote