Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2019, 09:41 AM   #81
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
The simple answer to your question is “No, I don’t.” But the attribution of Lindholm’s success exclusively to Monahan and Gaudreau is just wrong. Lindholm is driving and producing on every line he plays this year. He is arguably, presently the Flames most complete player. No, his emergence this year is not merely a product of his line mates. Lindholm has been exceptional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And his game has not changed. That is the point. He is still playing the same game and producing in a very consistent fashion, just surrounded by better talent throughout the lineup. I'm also curious about this "producing on every line he plays this year" comment. Care to expand, especially his production line to line?
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:45 AM   #82
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
You don't learn to hit a curve ball in the bigs. That's what developmental leagues are for. You don't learn how to shoot a puck in the NHL. You don't learn to pass in the NHL. You develop your skills in the development leagues. Once you make the show you adapt or die. You adjust to the speed of the game and learn to do things at speed, but you don't see many players develop new skills once they make the NHL. Players make the NHL because of the skills they have, not because they are going to develop new ones. It is the speed of the game they adjust to. Players skate faster, shoot harder, do things at a higher speed, and it takes time to adjust to that speed. But if after 250 games you haven't figured it out, you're not going to magically wake up one day and be able to deal with that speed. You certainly aren't going to wake up one day and all of a sudden find a new skill in your bag. Bennett is what he is. Fortunately one of his skills is a big a heart and bit of a nasty streak so he can have success as a role player. But those holding out that he's going to turn into a consistent 20-30 goal and 50-60 point player have unreasonable expectations. Almost 300 games into his career and he's still a 10-15 goal, 25-30 point guy. And that is fine. He's got a role, and that is his to play. Let's hope that limited role helps the team to success.
You actually learn to hit MLB level curve balls in the bigs, a AAA curveball is nothing compared to an MLB Curveball. Baseball players constantly work with coaches (like NHL players) to hone and perfect their skills.

I understand your negative take on Bennett, but he may very well be a Backlund type late bloomer. We won't know until he is much older. I think he just needs to slow down the game a bit, he plays at such a torrid speed that his hands can't keep up. Slow down the game a bit and use your jets when needed.

Also, what is the issue with Sam just being Sam? he provides energy, toughness and can pot a few goals in here and there. He isn't making a ton of money and is a great teammate.

Last edited by Since1984; 02-20-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:46 AM   #83
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Johnny Gaudreau and Sean Monahan. Pretty simple. Never had skilled linemates like this in Carolina. Always played a solid game and always had the skill, just not the linemates to do it. I also fail to see where Lindholm was some under-performing bum in Carolina. After establishing himself as a full time player, seasons of 39, 39, 45 and 44 points, with a bias towards distribution more so than goal scoring (60-65% assists versus goals). Playing with Gaudreau and Monahan he is maintaining that split (63.24% assists versus goals). His game is the same, he's just playing with two very gifted players and that shows in a production increase. The question you should be asking is why has Bennett never been able to produce with Gaudreau and Monahan like Lindholm has?
Sometimes three players have offsetting skillsets. Sometimes they don't.

Lindholm is a right shot forward who likes the perimeter quite a bit. This is a perfect compliment to two left shot forwards, one who also likes to space out in the other direction and the other who really doesn't leave the slot and net area.

Bennett and Monahan like many of the same areas of the ice, which creates spacing issues for both guys. Up North we saw a similar dissonance when Taylor Hall and Connor McDavid were played together, and that's the last three league MVPs.

When Bennett was centering Gaudreau and Frolik/Jooris in his rookie year that line showed a lot of potential. Whenever he centered Gaudreau and Ferland it waa a line that anyone with common sense could see had immense upside due to how the three players offset and complemented each other, yet Gulutzan could not figure this out in two whole years, even after Monahan's injury. The only other times Gaudreau and Bennett have played together have been where the winger was either Lazar or Chiasson, again guys who not only created spacing issues but generally guys who had no business playing on that line.

Seriously, no Flames fan should have ever watched Bennett play and thought he should be fitting on the RW with Monahan. He's not even a RWer. And that has nothing to do with talent or raw skill level. Could he develop some more and adjust his skillset to play with those two? Maybe, or maybe trying to force those two together means you need a player who likes the areas those two do not.

Let's not pretend Gaudreau and Monahan don't have their flaws. How often is our PP looking weak because these two hang out in their pet areas and teams force the other three guys on the ice to beat them?

I don't know why I keep responding to your pot-stirring posts, I feel like I lose brain cells as I do.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:32 PM   #84
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wait... you can't develop your skills anymore, once you reach the NHL?

Tell that to Crosby and his ability in the face-off dot. (not to mention every player that ever played the game)
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:35 PM   #85
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe the Flames are now 9-1-1 when Sam gets mad and drops the gloves.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:10 PM   #86
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
I believe the Flames are now 9-1-1 when Sam gets mad and drops the gloves.
Need another Bennett some how.

I wonder if the flames could trade for nick ritchie.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:12 PM   #87
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Need another Bennett some how...
Well there is a Jamie Benn and Jordie Benn. Neither is quite a full Bennett, but that's pretty close, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:16 PM   #88
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Wait... you can't develop your skills anymore, once you reach the NHL?

Tell that to Crosby and his ability in the face-off dot. (not to mention every player that ever played the game)
Didn't Lindholm have a muffin shot before this offseason? You can definitely improve.

Send Bennett to Lindholms shooting coach and he would be a significantly better player than he is now.
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockey-and_stuff For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2019, 06:18 PM   #89
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Well there is a Jamie Benn and Jordie Benn. Neither is quite a full Bennett, but that's pretty close, no?
boo
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote