Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Best prospect from the following list?
Dube, Dillon 188 49.74%
Ehliz, Yasin 0 0%
Fischer, Zach 0 0%
Foo, Spencer 23 6.08%
Gawdin, Glenn 0 0%
Gillies, Jon 3 0.79%
Healey, Josh 0 0%
Joly, D'Artagnan 0 0%
Karmaukhov, Pavel 0 0%
Klimchuk, Morgan 2 0.53%
Koumontzis, Demetrios 0 0%
Kylington, Oliver 27 7.14%
Lindstrom, Linus 0 0%
Lomberg, Ryan 0 0%
Mangiapane, Andrew 55 14.55%
Mattson, Mitchell 0 0%
McDonald, Mason 0 0%
Parsons, Tyler 75 19.84%
Pettersen, Mathias Emilio 1 0.26%
Phillips, Matthew 3 0.79%
Pollock, Brett 0 0%
Pospisil, Martin 0 0%
Rafikov, Rushan 0 0%
Roman, Milos 0 0%
Ruzicka, Adam 0 0%
Schneider, Nick 0 0%
Shinkaruk, Hunter 0 0%
Sveningsson, Fililp 0 0%
Tuulola, Eetu 1 0.26%
Zavgorodny, Dmitri 0 0%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2018, 09:38 PM   #101
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
I guess that makes sense given Bingo's wording. I wish Bingo hadn't worded it the way he did, kind of encourages people to vote on completely different questions. If we could agree on the criteria that would be useful IMO.

The criteria or question IMO should be, "Who will be the best NHLer out of our remaining prospect pool?" Klimchuk will most likely not be the best NHLer out of our current prospect pool. He has a chance but its pretty dang small IMO. I'd say a betting man would have bet on Valimaki to be the best NHLer out of our current bunch. Then at #2 it starts to get pretty tricky.

Maybe next year we can vote on a question to get everyone answering the same question instead of 95% answering one question while a few others answer another.
"Who will be the best NHLer out of the prospects listed?" would be my suggestion. I think it captures the spirit of the poll and how most prospect lists are approached.
OR
"Who is the most valuable prospect out of the prospects listed?" is another way of thinking about it but I don't think its as clear and direct as the first suggestion

IMO who is the most NHL ready is a completely different question than what most of us are talking about. My list for most NHL ready or chance for a big role this year is completely different than how I am voting in this exercise.

We should all be answering the same question at least.
Or just let Scorp have his fun. If 95% of us are voting similar style to you (most valuable) then I don't think the 5% really matters. Statistically insignificant.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:48 PM   #102
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well, scorp got his wish. Managed to turn this into a Klimchuk thread. lol
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:51 PM   #103
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

i had no intention of doing that, numerous other people bright up my supposedly incorrect opinion and forced the issue and i felt the need to defend myself

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:04 PM   #104
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
i had no intention of doing that, numerous other people bright up my supposedly incorrect opinion and forced the issue and i felt the need to defend myself
As you should, but I don't think Klimchuk is so NHL ready either. He has turned himself into a good AHLer but I don't see him making the NHL period (at least not for any sustained period of time)

Other prospects will have a bigger impact this year than Klimchuk IMO.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:04 PM   #105
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not that crazy. Klimchuk is in my top 6 or 7. Guys like him, priced reasonably in the bottom six is exactly how you win. He's young Frolik for cheaper with a high floor and low ceiling. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:29 PM   #106
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
It's not that crazy. Klimchuk is in my top 6 or 7. Guys like him, priced reasonably in the bottom six is exactly how you win. He's young Frolik for cheaper with a high floor and low ceiling. Nothing wrong with that.
Yeah he's still a top 10 guy for me too. Its not like Scorpion is jihading a scrub for the hell of it he's a good prospect
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:26 PM   #107
1991 Canadian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I really like Dube's game. He's impressed me every time I've seen him play. He was one of the few guys who stood out last year at training camp. To the point that I was frustrated he and Jankowski were pretty much the only young guys that showed up. Foo, Shinkaruk, Poirier, Klimchuk, etc.. were all pretty invisible last year.

Smart, hardworking, great defensive awareness, decent offensive skill. He's a versataile enough player that I can see him fitting in on the 4th line. There are other prospects on this list that don't have that ability.
1991 Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:34 PM   #108
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
As you should, but I don't think Klimchuk is so NHL ready either. He has turned himself into a good AHLer but I don't see him making the NHL period (at least not for any sustained period of time)

Other prospects will have a bigger impact this year than Klimchuk IMO.

I'd rather Klimchuk take the 4th line minutes than other prospects. He's a good two way player.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:19 AM   #109
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

All these comparison with Klimchuk to Frolik. I'm sorry but I don't see it. Frolik had 43 and 45 point rookie and sophomore seasons at age 21 and 22 in NHL. Klimchuk is what 23 now and can barely crack the 4th line? I'm sure he could play there and not look out of place but to compare him to Frolik doesnt quite jive for me.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 08:11 AM   #110
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

If he is 21 year old Frolik as a 25 year old Klimchuk offensively, but a 24 year old Frolik as a 25 year old defensively, does it make him any less of a Frolik in year 25?

Comparing equal aged years doesn't really say anything to me except rate of development.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:14 AM   #111
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
I guess that makes sense given Bingo's wording. I wish Bingo hadn't worded it the way he did, kind of encourages people to vote on completely different questions. If we could agree on the criteria that would be useful IMO.

The criteria or question IMO should be, "Who will be the best NHLer out of our remaining prospect pool?" Klimchuk will most likely not be the best NHLer out of our current prospect pool. He has a chance but its pretty dang small IMO. I'd say a betting man would have bet on Valimaki to be the best NHLer out of our current bunch. Then at #2 it starts to get pretty tricky.

Maybe next year we can vote on a question to get everyone answering the same question instead of 95% answering one question while a few others answer another.
"Who will be the best NHLer out of the prospects listed?" would be my suggestion. I think it captures the spirit of the poll and how most prospect lists are approached.
OR
"Who is the most valuable prospect out of the prospects listed?" is another way of thinking about it but I don't think its as clear and direct as the first suggestion

IMO who is the most NHL ready is a completely different question than what most of us are talking about. My list for most NHL ready or chance for a big role this year is completely different than how I am voting in this exercise.

We should all be answering the same question at least.
Remember I went years making it very clear how to do it only to spend hours defending that structure and having some refuse to vote.

Sometimes you just have to let things be.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:35 AM   #112
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
If he is 21 year old Frolik as a 25 year old Klimchuk offensively, but a 24 year old Frolik as a 25 year old defensively, does it make him any less of a Frolik in year 25?

Comparing equal aged years doesn't really say anything to me except rate of development.

But 25-year-old Klimchuk is not even close to a 21-year-old Frolik on either side of the puck. It’s a bad comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:38 AM   #113
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Top 8-9 is clear. Becomes less so afterwards..

1. Valimaki
2. Andersson
3. Dube
4. Parsons
5. Kylington
6. Mangiapane
7. Foo
8. Gillies
9. Klimchuk
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:42 AM   #114
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
But 25-year-old Klimchuk is not even close to a 21-year-old Frolik on either side of the puck. It’s a bad comparison.
The way that he played in the AHL last year made me a believer that in two years (with some NHL time), he can get there. That's what makes this kind of list fun.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:33 AM   #115
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm missing something here. Have you seen 25-year-old Klimchuk play yet?
Old 07-14-2018, 07:27 AM   #116
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
I'm missing something here. Have you seen 25-year-old Klimchuk play yet?

I’m posting from the future. I thought we had established that already some time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:40 AM   #117
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I’m posting from the future. I thought we had established that already some time ago.
No, that would be sureloss.