Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2021, 10:58 PM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Flames 3 Leafs 0

Game Takes: Flames 3 Leafs 0

- Rittich first Flame to post shut out in Toronto (Calgary Flame, Yves Belanger does it in 1977)
- Sean Monahan comes back with a goal and an assist.
- Matthew Tkachuk breaks out of his funk with goal 100.
- Flames PK goes 7/7 in a huge kill night.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:13 AM   #2
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Good write up, matches a lot of what we saw

As for the stripes, agreed, too many calls.

Though I’m fine with the call on Dermott, he went too far out if his way away from the puck

A pretty blatant miss on Spezza chopping Johnny’s stick in two
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:32 AM   #3
K1LLswitch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I haven’t seen the shift charts yet, but whenever I saw Valimaki it looked like Tanev with him and Kylington had Hanifin with him, along with regular shifts with Tanev and Hanifin together. Quite an interesting way to provide some protection to the third pairing and good call by the coach to shelter those guys.

Although perhaps it was due to pairings messed up from all the special teams.
K1LLswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:45 AM   #4
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Will the Flames go with the same line-up next game after being dominated in the fancy stats? Is this a sign of a team that is about to go on a losing streak?

Last 2 games clear cut fancy stats winners are 0-2-0 with aggregate score of 10-1
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:56 AM   #5
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Will the Flames go with the same line-up next game after being dominated in the fancy stats? Is this a sign of a team that is about to go on a losing streak?

Last 2 games clear cut fancy stats winners are 0-2-0 with aggregate score of 10-1
Games are won and lost on the scoreboard not the fancy stats. Flames played well last night and simply need to clean up the discipline as they are taking too many undisciplined penalties of late.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:25 AM   #6
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Games are won and lost on the scoreboard not the fancy stats. Flames played well last night and simply need to clean up the discipline as they are taking too many undisciplined penalties of late.
I think Ricardow is trolling, but I'll get into it.

Games are won on both ... if you get outplayed a lot you probably lose on the scoreboard. They are at least partially related and common sense.

The Flames had very good first periods in both games, but the difference was Rittich in game two, and McDavid in game one.

The second and third in both games had the trailing team carrying the play and running up the metrics, which is usually what happens in a game that moves beyond a one goal game.

I wouldn't laud the Flames for having solid numbers in a 7-1 loss, nor would I admonish them for being out metric'd in 3-0 win.

It's the reason a lot of those stat sites have the ability to toggle the metrics to "within 1"

The Flames have very good underlying stats on the season, but that comes with a caveat ... they've trailed a lot. With that the other team sits back and Calgary gets to pour it on looking better than they are when the dust settles.

The Flames are 8th and 6th overall in CF% and xGF%. If you look at it "within 1" ... 19th and 19th.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 08:27 AM   #7
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry within 1 means what are their stats if they are up or down by 1 goal? Or tied?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 08:45 AM   #8
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

All I know is that scoring that first goal is a difference maker for this team. It seems that when they get down early the "here we go again" thing starts and the team ends up chasing for the rest of the game. When you consider how much time this team spends trailing the opposition their record is flattering. They must start games better for this team to realize any potential they may have.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote