Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2021, 10:31 AM   #2701
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
- tire pressure (in the front, not the back otherwise you'll get pinch flats)
People still use tubes!?
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:18 AM   #2702
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
People still use tubes!?
The vast majority of bikes...
... except for most keeners who upgraded years ago. That said I have a mix of tube and tubeless depending on the bike and purpose... and laziness. I've got a metric sh*t-ton of tube-required tires (for my tube-required rims... that I don't have any interest in converting to tubeless). So I'm still in the mindset, for the most part, of use-what-I-got until I run out then convert over.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:32 AM   #2703
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My mountain bikes is tubeless, but how many roadies have gone tubeless? Seems still pretty split. It seems like less of an issue on the road bike, but I’m open to being convinced.

The other issue is that my GP4000 and 5000 tires aren’t the tubeless versions, and they’re good tires, so I don’t really want to replace them yet just to go tubeless.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 01:40 PM   #2704
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I cant see the point of tubeless on a road bike myself
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 04:45 PM   #2705
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thought I'd post this here... because horse racing has been a crazy pharmaceutical experimental live-laboratory for a few decades from a performance enhancement point of view. Really not that different than cycling was 15-40 years ago when it seemed almost anything was ok, as long as it wasn't obvious and you weren't clearly caught out.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/kentuc...test-1.5420402
Old 05-09-2021, 04:59 PM   #2706
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
My mountain bikes is tubeless, but how many roadies have gone tubeless? Seems still pretty split. It seems like less of an issue on the road bike, but I’m open to being convinced.

The other issue is that my GP4000 and 5000 tires aren’t the tubeless versions, and they’re good tires, so I don’t really want to replace them yet just to go tubeless.
Your GP4/5000's are awesome tires to start with, so yeah just use them up. Do you have tubeless compatible rims though?

About a quarter of the avid roadies I know have gone tubeless and swear by them. At the same time as running them at lower pressure... I think they also seem to buy more tires.
Looking at the pure speed and wattage requirements...
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...d-bike-reviews
https://road.cc/content/feature/roll...t-tyres-279289

The second link gets into it a bit more and is worth a real read as it gets into it. That said, the REAL WORLD for the vast majority of us "Freds" is that if we like to ride, and we want to ride, then get on any bike and ride for enjoyment. Comparison is the thief of happiness!

Now that said... until Covid I was doing some group riding, often, as well as had previously done racing for a few years. I can definitely say that having faster wheels and rubber makes a huge difference to hanging in there and generally feeling good about your group ride. My old racing Ksyriums (back when they were "amazing") with ultralight tires and tubes, literally gave me 1-2 *gears* faster speed for same effort on race day.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2021, 06:30 AM   #2707
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
On our roads I'd probably agree.

I've ridden a fair bit down in Arizona/Nevada/California and their roads and highways can be quite a bit dirtier than ours. A lot more rubbish in the shoulders. Broken glass and blown car tire fragments. Tubeless comes in handy down there.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:21 AM   #2708
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i was running tubeless on my gravel bike for a while. But i have so much trouble setting it up, i never felt confident with it, so i put tubes back in. in some ways i feel like having a tube, adds an extra layer against protection from a flat; however, i am tubeless on my mtn bike. In my fatty i still have tubes because i swap from regular tires to studs and then back again thru the riding season

I have a pair of tubolito tubs sitting in my garage waiting to be installed on my grinder; however, i am currently pre-occupied with reno'ing my garage, so i'd imagine it will be a while before they get mounted.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:59 AM   #2709
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

I got new wheels last year and there was a like $10 add-on to go tubeless straight from the factory with Schwalbe Pro Ones. Can't really compare it to the old wheels which were stock and had different tires but the new setup has been nothing but reliable.

I think going tubeless helped with vibration for longer rides -- I was previously looking for a more comfortable seat but am not so fussed by it anymore -- but that could just be the placebo effect or more riding. Definitely more peace of mind riding out to Elbow Falls before the sweepers hit the highway.

Last edited by Flames0910; 05-10-2021 at 11:04 AM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 12:46 PM   #2710
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
Definitely more peace of mind riding out to Elbow Falls before the sweepers hit the highway.
On that note, anyone know when the sweepers do highway 66? It tends to have rougher shoulders usually I’ve found.
Old 05-10-2021, 01:54 PM   #2711
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

when in doubt, run the "spring" wheelset that has the heavier tires (such as the Specialized Armadillo's) which is usually my go-to for the spring and fall (after Sept). Once the sweeping seems reasonable then the good wheelset and lighter / faster / pricier tires come on out.
Old 05-10-2021, 02:46 PM   #2712
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post

I switched to tubeless tires about two years ago. Prior to that I had countless flats over the years. Sometimes while riding and sometimes when I am about to go riding. I had two flats about five minutes apart in the Penticton fondo. Since switching to tubeless I have had one instance where I ran over a giant crevice caused by a falling rock and punctured a tire and couldn't continue riding. Unfortunately that was a time I was riding by myself and in an area that didn't get cell phone service. I had to walk for about 75 minutes before being picked up. I was still probably an hour's walk from being able to use my phone to call for a ride.

I have found glass and holes in my tires over the last couple years, but the sealant has stopped all the air from leaking out every time. I prefer just carrying a small repair tube, which is about the same size as a CO2 cartridge, as opposed to bringing a tube and levers each ride. Either way I'd bring a CO2 cartridge.

There are guys on my bike team who won't ride with people who aren't tubeless, because they don't want to wait 20 minutes for them to fix a tire. I am sure there are people who can fix flats quicker, but I am not one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2021, 04:18 PM   #2713
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I had a miserable experience doing a fondo out east where I had 2 flats, I was ready to smash the wheel into a light post. So your story may be the best motivation I’ve heard yet for me to switch the road bike.

I also got a flat doing the highwood last year, no cell service and no cars. I didn’t have to walk out, but the rest of the ride was spent being paranoid I had another flat...really reduced the enjoyment of the ride.

The main thing stopping me from trying tubeless now is the need to get new GP5000’s in a TL version, when the ones I have are still almost new.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:33 PM   #2714
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
I had a miserable experience doing a fondo out east where I had 2 flats, I was ready to smash the wheel into a light post. So your story may be the best motivation I’ve heard yet for me to switch the road bike.

I also got a flat doing the highwood last year, no cell service and no cars. I didn’t have to walk out, but the rest of the ride was spent being paranoid I had another flat...really reduced the enjoyment of the ride.

The main thing stopping me from trying tubeless now is the need to get new GP5000’s in a TL version, when the ones I have are still almost new.
no matter what tire type... slashes and gashes and flats suck!! And yeah, some folks are pretty quick changing them, and others are not.
My subjective opinion is that most folks get rear flats rather than fronts... so consider running TL in the rear then until you wear out your tube-'d tires.
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2021, 04:59 PM   #2715
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I run tubes in GP 5000's on my road bikes and they are pretty much bomb proof till about 3500-4000km then the flats start.
I have friends who run tubeless and happened across one this spring who damaged a tire and had no way to repair it as it damaged the seal. I'm sure they are handy but I just don't see the need to fix something that isn't broken for road bikes, I equate it to disc brakes in Alberta for road you just don't need them.
If I were running tubeless and I knew I would be out of cell range I'd be taking a tube regardless, otherwise it sounds like poor planning.
Old 05-10-2021, 05:12 PM   #2716
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
I use Steadyrack. I have 10 bikes up in a 10 foot space. I have them staggered to maximize space. I copied Remy Metailler how he setup his steadyracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnP9SpvJcMg&t=4s

Minute 6 he goes into how he put his up.
So this option... how well does it do when you are trying to get a bike out with a car parallel to the wall, 2 feet from the rack?
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 05:13 PM   #2717
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
I equate it to disc brakes in Alberta for road you just don't need them.
I agree you don't need them, but not having discs is a deal breaker for me on any bike. The modulation, lack of maintenance and feel of good disc brakes is something I'm just not willing to give up.

Also if you do hit wet conditions, the confidence that you'll be able to stop is worth every penny to me.

Not slowly wearing your rims thinner and thinner or having constant rubbing and adjustment issues is also a great thing.

Removing wheels is easier/faster, and maybe not as important on a road bike, but being able to confidently ride out with a bent rim is a nice feature when it happens.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2021, 06:09 PM   #2718
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, I'd love disc brakes on my road bike. My rims are so slick when wet. Like trying to grab a tow rope with a banana peel.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2021, 08:11 PM   #2719
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love disc brakes because I'm 59 and the arthritis in my hands make conventional brakes painful
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2021, 10:50 PM   #2720
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
So this option... how well does it do when you are trying to get a bike out with a car parallel to the wall, 2 feet from the rack?
Depends on your floor plan, but with the Steady Racks you can pull the bike off the rack while folded in, so you might have *juuust* enough room.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote