Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamesfan05 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2021, 01:04 PM   #283
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
In 4 years the Avs go from worst team in the NHL to winning the President’s Trophy. I believe only five current players were on the roster back in 2017.

Where will the Flames be 4 years from now?
People also conveniently forget that they also got super lucky with MacKinnon. Remember when he was struggling, and at one point it looked like he was neck and neck with Monahan in potential? There's a reason why when MacKinnon signed his second contract, everyone just thought it could be a fair deal later into the contract.

The stars pretty much aligned perfectly for the Avs. MacKinnon really broke out AFTER his extension, so now he's by far the best contract in the league. Not discrediting Sakic's savvy trade of Duchene, but I'd argue everything that could work out in the Avs favor did.

You could be the Avs. Or you could be the Sabres (or even the Panthers until this year).
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 02:43 PM   #284
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
Alex debrincat or sam Gerard

That was a loaded draft
More likely Boris Kachouk (why not - Tkazuk, Tkachuk, Kachouk).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:20 PM   #285
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
I would keep Lindy, Gaudreau, Hanafin and Tanev.

I love Gio but he’s gone in the draft unfortunately.

Everyone else can go as far as I am concerned.
What?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:47 PM   #286
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
What?
Expansion draft?
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:48 PM   #287
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdon View Post
So we shuffle deck chairs on the titanic then?
If it works, than it works. That specific trio might very well be the 3 most skilled players on the team, so playing them together has essentially created an elite unit. This organization made the mistake of diluting the already limited skill on this team and trying to manufacture depth in the process.

That failed spectacularly as it just created 4 lines with very little skill, zero chemistry and no play driving ability whatsoever. Now they'd loaded up on one line and we're seeing a standard. They are the standard in my opinion.

If management can build another line like 13-28-19, than I think this team has a chance to compete against the very best.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:12 PM   #288
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Though we should be careful not to assume that the wider fan base would accept a re-build, and one as long as it could be, with the same warmth that hard core fans on here would.
Agreed that we shouldn't make that assumption.

Calgary is market where there doesn't need to be a really really good on-ice product for the hardcore fanbase to fill the seats and follow the team, but it's not a big enough market where there would still be a significant casual, wider fan-base that would continue to support the team when it sucks. I mean just look at the Sutter hire...bring back a former popular coach and the excitement level from the hardcore fans goes through the roof before he even coaches a game.

Ownership knows this. They know they just need to give the hardcore fans a little bit of hope and they will fill the seats. On the other hand, they also know that they lose all of the casual fans by not making the playoffs. So they do what they've been doing...Barely make the playoffs and lure in all of the casual fans. Keep the hardcore fans by giving them just a little bit of hope. Easiest way to do this is hire a new coach, hire a new GM, acquire a recognizable name, sign a recognizable free agent...Which is exactly what they've been doing on repeat for years. And why this team is stuck in mediocrity.
RedHawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:23 PM   #289
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Though we should be careful not to assume that the wider fan base would accept a re-build, and one as long as it could be, with the same warmth that hard core fans on here would.
I think the wider fanbase wouldn't know the difference between a season like this and a rebuild.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2021, 06:58 PM   #290
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I think the wider fanbase wouldn't know the difference between a season like this and a rebuild.
It’s less about one season and more about the length of a rebuild
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:08 PM   #291
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Expansion draft?
Ha, Seattle is not taking Giordano in the expansion draft, dude. And certainly not so definitely taking him that it warrants a "he's gone unfortunately". That's crazy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2021, 07:36 PM   #292
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ha, Seattle is not taking Giordano in the expansion draft, dude. And certainly not so definitely taking him that it warrants a "he's gone unfortunately". That's crazy.
You may be right. We will see. Aren't several people pushing for Gio to be traded lest we lose him to Seattle?
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:42 PM   #293
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If Derek Ryan can be re-signed, the Flames' center depth is good enough to make it past the first playoff round. They essentially have an adequate #1C in Lindholm, two good #2Cs in Monahan and Backlund, and a good #3C in Ryan.

The real problem with the Flames offense is the utter lack of RW depth. It's embarrassing that the Flames do not have not single natural RWer capable of playing in the Top6. Instead, Treliving is strapping NHL tweeners like Ritchie and Nordstrom to Gaudreau and Backlund hoping for goals.

If the Flames got another 10 goals out of Monahan this season and had a proper Top 6 RW to put with Gaudreau or the on the second line, they would have snatched the 4th playoff spot away from Montreal without a problem.

Quote:
You may be right. We will see. Aren't several people pushing for Gio to be traded lest we lose him to Seattle?
Seattle isn't wasting their Flames pick on a 38 year old dman earning $6.75M on an expiring contract
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:43 PM   #294
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wouldn’t be to sure with that. I’ve seen a couple of talking heads on tv say they think Seattle would take him.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:54 PM   #295
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
I wouldn’t be to sure with that. I’ve seen a couple of talking heads on tv say they think Seattle would take him.
I'd like to see who. The chances would be so miniscule. Seattle saw what worked for Vegas, and although the trades that really helped launch them likely won't happen this time, they will almost assuredly stick to young players and prospects.

You don't watch what happened in Vegas and then draft a declining 38 year old defenceman on an expiring contract.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2021, 09:59 PM   #296
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Were tied in points with Ottawa. We have 2 more pts than LA. 3 more than Detroit. There is no difference.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 11:28 PM   #297
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames are a garbage team, when trying to ice a competitive product.

Will the casual fan really see any difference given the last 30 years?
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 11:58 PM   #298
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
Were tied in points with Ottawa. We have 2 more pts than LA. 3 more than Detroit. There is no difference.
and people are trilled...can you imagine if we had fans this season