Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-04-2020, 09:46 AM   #1
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default Games start Aug 1,Draft lottery Aug.10, Draft mid Oct., UFA day Nov. 1,

Ambitious if nothing else.

Quote:
Training camps are scheduled to open on July 13, with teams slated to arrive in the hub cities of Toronto and Edmonton by July 26, with games scheduled for Aug. 1. Absent of a COVID-19 outbreak that shuts down play, the Stanley Cup would be on track to be awarded in the first week of October.

The Alexis Lafreniere Draft Lottery sweepstakes will be held on Aug. 10, with the NHL Draft to follow in mid-October. Free agency would take place in the fall for the first time in league history on Nov. 1.

Opt-out: Any player can opt-out of Return to Play this summer for any reason and there is no penalty or discipline for doing so. There was originally talk that a player opting out for anything other than an underlying medical condition would not be eligible for a playoff share and would not receive the final quarterly pension credit for the season.

> Playoff share: The playoff bonus pool is doubling this season from $16 million to $32 million. A player on a team that loses in the best-of-five qualifying round will receive $20,000. Players in each round will see bonuses increase from there, with a share from the Stanley Cup winning team worth $240,000 per player.

> Term: The new CBA will have a term of six years, ensuring labour peace through at least 2025-26. It can also be extended one year if the escrow debt from 2019-20 owing to owners exceeds $125 million at the end of the deal.

> Salary cap: The salary cap’s upper limit will be frozen for 2020-21 at $81.5 million and remain there until hockey-related revenue returns to $4.8 billion - the amount projected for this 2019-20 season before the pandemic hit.
https://www.tsn.ca/talent/details-em...ment-1.1492091

Last edited by transplant99; 07-04-2020 at 11:29 AM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to transplant99 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2020, 10:51 AM   #2
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Free Agency November 1, would that mean a 20-21 season start in January 2021? 82 games would put the season into at least August 2021. It will take several seasons for the calendar to return to something resembling normalcy. Wild.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:08 AM   #3
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Free Agency November 1, would that mean a 20-21 season start in January 2021? 82 games would put the season into at least August 2021. It will take several seasons for the calendar to return to something resembling normalcy. Wild.
I am wondering if they have agreed up on a shorter season next year, I haven't heard them say one way or the other.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:12 AM   #4
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Reading the title I was surprised the draft would be so soon - but reading the quote it’s actually the draft lottery on aug 10.

As much as I think the NHL is in tough trying to finish this season, I actually think starting next season will be far more difficult- assuming they are trying to go back to a more normal season where teams travel around to play teams in other cities.
Rubicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:16 AM   #5
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicant View Post
Reading the title I was surprised the draft would be so soon - but reading the quote it’s actually the draft lottery on aug 10.

As much as I think the NHL is in tough trying to finish this season, I actually think starting next season will be far more difficult- assuming they are trying to go back to a more normal season where teams travel around to play teams in other cities.
I think the hope is there will be a vaccine at that point in time. They may not be ready to welcome fans back, but the players and media should be able to travel safely.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:17 AM   #6
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown royal View Post
i am wondering if they have agreed up on a shorter season next year, i haven't heard them say one way or the other.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1279416100397203458
Old 07-04-2020, 11:18 AM   #7
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I should probably check twitter rather than just relying on what I happen to see here, eh?
Old 07-04-2020, 11:20 AM   #8
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
I think the hope is there will be a vaccine at that point in time. They may not be ready to welcome fans back, but the players and media should be able to travel safely.
Yeah that would obviously be the hope, I just don’t know how realistic it is.

An effective vaccine by December still seems awfully optimistic to me.
Rubicant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rubicant For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2020, 11:24 AM   #9
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
I should probably check twitter rather than just relying on what I happen to see here, eh?
I don’t even bother with hockey Twitter anymore. I know it will be on CP sooner rather than later
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2020, 11:25 AM   #10
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicant View Post
Yeah that would obviously be the hope, I just don’t know how realistic it is.

An effective vaccine by December still seems awfully optimistic to me.
Even a semi-effective one would allow for play without fans I would think. It will also help that it is unlikely (albeit, not impossible) to catch it twice.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:25 AM   #11
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I wonder if the NHL would do like MLB and go to a different more regional schedule in the next two years to try and get back into their previous routine. Once it becomes a 32 team league you can do 6 Division, 4 Conference and 8 inter Conference games to get to 82 games. Which would mean 4 road games out of Conference. If it was a January start date...Somehow they will need to shorten the next 3 off seasons and two seasons by about 9 weeks to pull the season back to a November 1 start date plus allow for a 3 week Olympic break. They will have their work cut out for themselves.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:27 AM   #12
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Title should be changed to draft lottery August 10th and draft mid-Oct.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2020, 11:28 AM   #13
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Yup...my typo
Old 07-04-2020, 11:47 AM   #14
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could see them starting December 1st, no need for an off-season when technically this has been their off season. Make the schedule super tight to squeeze in 82 games and playoffs to end in August/Early September,, then try and go back to normal the next year.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2020, 11:59 AM   #15
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
I could see them starting December 1st, no need for an off-season when technically this has been their off season. Make the schedule super tight to squeeze in 82 games and playoffs to end in August/Early September,, then try and go back to normal the next year.
I highly doubt they come back without fans though.

That will require a vaccine and for it to have been distributed and administered....to literally billions of people.

Not sure that is in any way possible to happen in 5 months. I think next season is in far bigger jeopardy than finishing this one.
Old 07-04-2020, 12:24 PM   #16
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I see early December start too, players, a few weeks less off an offseason won't matter for those teams that go to the Finals, after basically a 4.5 month break.

League and players need a 82 game season at any cost, just like they need to finish this season, in orde to fulfill TV contracts and get their full $.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 12:29 PM   #17
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

My goodness hockey fans will in for a non stop diet of hockey for the next 23 months if they can pull this off. Small break in NOV after the 2019/20 season, then a small break in AUG/SEP after the 2020/21 season and straight back into the 2021/22 season.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2020, 12:34 PM   #18
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
My goodness hockey fans will in for a non stop diet of hockey for the next 23 months if they can pull this off. Small break in NOV after the 2019/20 season, then a small break in AUG/SEP after the 2020/21 season and straight back into the 2021/22 season.
Add a sprinkle of Olympic Hockey as well
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2020, 12:57 PM   #19
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
If things go as planned, and they start next season in December (I think January would be too late/ambitious if they intend to catch up in the next few years), it'll be a fast paced schedule like the NBA is.

There's going to be a lot of injuries coming as a result of this. Or at the very least, much more use of scratches to rest up players. Teams are gonna be making a lot of AHL callups, so organizational depth is going to be extremely crucial.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2020, 01:13 PM   #20
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if they consider allowing expanded rosters due to a condensed schedule next year
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post: