Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Pick the best player from the following list
Robyn Regehr 76 32.90%
TJ Brodie 1 0.43%
Gary Suter 146 63.20%
Jamie Macoun 0 0%
Paul Reinhart 2 0.87%
Dennis Gauthier 0 0%
Cory Sarich 0 0%
Dion Phaneuf 1 0.43%
Steve Konroyd 0 0%
Derek Morris 0 0%
Tommy Albelin 0 0%
Frank Musil 0 0%
Phil Housley 2 0.87%
Toni Lydman 0 0%
Jay Bouwmeester 1 0.43%
Dougie Hamilton 0 0%
Jordan Leopold 0 0%
Rhett Warrener 0 0%
Brad McCrimmon 1 0.43%
Phil Russell 0 0%
Ric Nattress 0 0%
Andrew Ference 0 0%
Neil Sheehy 1 0.43%
James Patrick 0 0%
Paul Baxter 0 0%
Dana Murzyn 0 0%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-30-2020, 01:27 PM   #21
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Gary Suter was so good, it sucks he was hurt when The Flames won the cup
Calgary Flames #1 St. Louis Cardinals #1
Gaudreau is a Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:10 PM   #22
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went Regehr and will gladly go Regehr again.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:10 PM   #23
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Dammit. I forgot all about Suter when I voted for Reggie.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:51 PM   #24
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

further on Suter it is worth pointing out that he is 5th all time in Calgary Flames scoring, not among d, but scoring period (the 4 players ahead of him occupy the #1C, #1D and #1,2 RW positions). Reggie narrowly losing to him is not a dismissal of Regehr
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2020, 02:59 PM   #25
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

The voting for #5-7 is gonna be all over the place.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:11 PM   #26
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
further on Suter it is worth pointing out that he is 5th all time in Calgary Flames scoring, not among d, but scoring period (the 4 players ahead of him occupy the #1C, #1D and #1,2 RW positions). Reggie narrowly losing to him is not a dismissal of Regehr
Finished 8th in Hart Trophy voting one season. Also noticed his "similarity score" comparables are S. Niedermayer, Sergei Gonchar and Doug Harvey.

This was an elite elite defenseman.

Regehr isn't being slighted in this vote.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:18 PM   #27
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Finished 8th in Hart Trophy voting one season. Also noticed his "similarity score" comparables are S. Niedermayer, Sergei Gonchar and Doug Harvey.

This was an elite elite defenseman.
but no Kevin Lowe the similarity score comps say alot here actually (Suter v Lowe)
Old 06-30-2020, 03:41 PM   #28
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

very tough choice, such different players. I gave the edge to Regehr.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:13 PM   #29
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Easy choice for Suter. Sure Regehr was elite in his own zone but Suter didn’t even need to play in his zone, he was too busy in the offensive zone setting up teammates for goals.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:32 PM   #30
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Numbers 1 to 3 were no-brainers for me, in the as-voted order, but 4 is where it gets really interesting.

Two polarizing figures in Phaneuf and Hamilton, but whose per-season or per-game contributions in the Flaming C were undeniably outstanding. Phaneuf's first three seasons were a non-stop highlight reel and he finished second in Norris voting behind the incomparable Nik Lidstrom, and Hamilton coupled with Giordano to completely dominate all competition they faced for two seasons.

I also have Brad McCrimmon in the mix, but suspect due to significant recency bias and lack of flair he likely won't get a fair shake in consideration for the roster at all (like Colin Patterson).

Phil Housley got the pleasure of being part of the Young Guns in his mid-30s yet was solid at both ends, though known for his offensive ability.

And now, the controversial one: Robyn Regehr. He will obviously be voted high, likely #4, but to me he's the Flames' Shane Doan or Trevor Linden, where the fans of the team generally regard the player as a legendary all-star caliber player to the skepticism of the rest of the teams' fans who thought they were good but not great (remember, Chris Kunitz, Kris Draper, and Rob Zamuner played on the National Team, too). Purely one dimensional, but absolutely exceptional at that dimension...if only he could have moved the puck better as that held him back significantly with the frequent icings and punts, or knee-high/in-the-skates outlet passes. But then I remember the patented Tunnel of Death and the joy watching that ride brought. But also the unfortunately successful "dump it in Regehr's corner" tactic toward the end that was not so enjoyable. For anyone who has gotten into analytics: don't look. Don't do it if you are a Regehr fan, I warned you. Anyone who despises analytics: here is another poster child for your quest!

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."

Last edited by united; 07-01-2020 at 03:00 AM.
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2020, 05:59 PM   #31
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder how many people realize who is 2nd all time in playoff scoring for the Flames? At very nearly a point per game, Reinhart deserves consideration here.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2020, 06:09 PM   #32
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Macoun deserves some mention also, played a lot of years, put up respectable numbers while being very good defensively.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:00 PM   #33
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ridiculous that we had Suter AND MacInnis. Man, we were spoiled with all the talent we had to watch-should've won more cups!
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:57 PM   #34
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
Thank you.

Recency bias is reigning supreme with the comments. Suter was a #1 on any team that didn't have MacInnis on it. He was a hell of an all-around defenseman. It sucks that a lot of the younger ones (I'm not that old) don't remember him, but he deserves the #3 spot without question.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:19 PM   #35
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Thank you.

Recency bias is reigning supreme with the comments. Suter was a #1 on any team that didn't have MacInnis on it. He was a hell of an all-around defenseman. It sucks that a lot of the younger ones (I'm not that old) don't remember him, but he deserves the #3 spot without question.

Did recency bias give Gio the #2 spot on this poll, and should it have been Suter then with Gio falling to #3?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:34 PM   #36
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Did recency bias give Gio the #2 spot on this poll, and should it have been Suter then with Gio falling to #3?
It's possible, but a solid Norris trophy win and tenure says no.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:52 PM   #37
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I figured that since the game has changed since Suter's days, and offence is harder to come by, that Gio should be put first because he won the Norris-signifying that he was the best at his position that year (and it was obvious). He also is a great leader, and shows up every year the fittest guy in camp.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:26 AM   #38
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I wonder how many people realize who is 2nd all time in playoff scoring for the Flames? At very nearly a point per game, Reinhart deserves consideration here.
Great point as Reinhart absolutely should be in consideration for a spot.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:31 AM   #39
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Giordano being #2 is absolutely justified. If his prime had started earlier, he might have more than one Norris and a solid case for the #1 spot, but he really didn't turn into an elite defenceman until his 30s.

Also, why is Al MacInnis generally remembered more as a Blue than a Flame? Spent more time in Calgary, including most of his prime years, won a Conn Smythe and his only Stanley Cup in Calgary..

Last edited by codynw; 07-01-2020 at 02:36 AM.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:01 AM   #40
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post

Also, why is Al MacInnis generally remembered more as a Blue than a Flame? Spent more time in Calgary, including most of his prime years, won a Conn Smythe and his only Stanley Cup in Calgary..
yeah this generally infuriates me, particularly as you can't (like later Flames) use the well 'the Flames sucked when he was there' argument

yes he won his Norris there, but his 90-91 season was actually his best. more games, points, playoff games, allstar team appearances (2 1: 3 2nd vers 2 1st), his only cup and then one major award in each place

I think it boils down to him establishing himself in St. Louis post playing, and the fact that (erroneously) he was only viewed as 'the guy with the slapshot) until 1989