Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2020, 10:33 AM   #281
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like any other year, one team will win the Stanley Cup. How can it be more difficult for everyone?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:37 PM   #282
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
Not sure if this has been pointed out, but that is fairly contradictory... How can something be more difficult to achieve than it previously has been but at the same time the achievement will be respected less? It is one or the other, the more difficult the achievement the more respect it earns you, and vice versa.
My point is that while there are more teams to beat out this year, the fact that whoever wins is going to have a massive asterisk in the minds of the majority of fans and players completely eliminates the validity of whoever wins the Cup this season no matter how difficult it is, which is why I have zero problem taking the 1/8 shot at Lafreniere.

The amount of things effecting the validity of the Cup winner this season is just beyond salvageable.

- 4 months in-between the final Regular Season game and the start of the Playoffs.
- Enough time for players to heal their injuries and be ready for the Playoffs when they otherwise would've missed.
- Players potentially opting out of participating. If a player of significance decides to opt out, that seals the deal in my opinion. Especially if it's a significant player from a Cup favorite.
- The fact that reporters are saying a large group - if not a majority - of players say they don't even want to return to play this season. They care much more about the money.
- On that note, the fact players won't have anywhere near the same level of competitiveness, intensity and drive to win this year versus previous years.
- The fact games will be played in empty stadiums.
- The fact there won't be any parade or celebration for the team who wins the Cup.
- Etc, etc..

Even if the Flames were to win the Cup, they're not going to get any respect from opposing teams and fans. Us Flames fans wouldn't even be able to enjoy it. Same goes to any team that wins it.

Simply put, the Stanley Cup has never had this low of value.
AustinL_NHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:41 PM   #283
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I don't know what you're talking about. If the Flames win the Stanley Cup, I'm enjoying the #### out of it. I don't care what other loser fans of other loser teams think.

But if another team wins it, yeah, it's all a farce or whatever.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2020, 01:42 PM   #284
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Flames win and I'm re-creating the Red Mile at home.

Shirts off for Kiprusoff.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2020, 02:00 PM   #285
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames win we can take over Deerfoot and Stoney Trail and use vehicles to celebrate.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:06 PM   #286
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I don't know what you're talking about. If the Flames win the Stanley Cup, I'm enjoying the #### out of it. I don't care what other loser fans of other loser teams think.

But if another team wins it, yeah, it's all a farce or whatever.
Yeah the key is to not base your enjoyment or happiness on the validation from others. If the Flames won the Cup I'd cherish it forever, regardless of the circumstances.

Do Tampa fans or Stars fans feel worse about their Cup wins despite the controversies associated with them? No.

Do Devils or Blackhawks fans feel worse about their lockout shortened Cup wins? No.

As Darren Haynes wrote today:
Quote:
As for those determined to attach an asterisk to this season's Stanley Cup winner, give that argument a rest. There were no asterisks when the NHL played 48-game regular seasons, or when 16 of 21 teams made the playoffs, or when the league consisted of only six teams, or when round 1 was a best-of-three, and there will be no asterisk engraved this year either.
http://www.flamesfrom80feet.ca/2020/...ames-fans.html

I get the odds of winning against Winnipeg alone aren't great, let alone 4 real playoff rounds. But the idea of actively cheering for the Flames to lose for a 1/8 chance at a non-"generational talent" just feels wrong to me.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2020, 02:09 PM   #287
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
My point is that while there are more teams to beat out this year, the fact that whoever wins is going to have a massive asterisk in the minds of the majority of fans and players completely eliminates the validity of whoever wins the Cup this season no matter how difficult it is, which is why I have zero problem taking the 1/8 shot at Lafreniere.
There are not more teams to beat out this year than in any other year. Every year four or five or six teams on the playoff bubble have to beat out two or three or four teams for a playoff spot. The play-in is an approximation of this actual situation, but in a condensed form that arguably makes the competition a lot easier this year than it has ever been.

The playoffs do not actually begin until the first round of seven games. The only teams as of today which have qualified for the 2020 playoffs are those with the play-in byes. Everyone else is still trying to get in.

Quote:
...Even if the Flames were to win the Cup, they're not going to get any respect from opposing teams and fans.
And who the hell actually cares? Fans of the team that eventually wins this year won't give a rats ass about what fans in other markets think, nor should they.

Quote:
Us Flames fans wouldn't even be able to enjoy it. Same goes to any team that wins it.
Speak for yourself. I will be ecstatic with a Flames 2020 Stanley Cup victory, and my enjoyment of it will most certainly be extreme.

Quote:
Simply put, you are wrong. Prior to 1967 the Stanley Cup was contested by six teams. Prior to 2001 a majority of NHL teams played in the playoffs every year.
Prior to 1987 the Stanley Cup winner had to win only a maximum of 15 playoff games.

Maybe the Cup's value is lower in your own eyes, but from my perspective the competition required to win it this year is among the highest in all of NHL history, and it is not even close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 06-30-2020 at 02:12 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2020, 06:58 PM   #288
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Flames win and I'm re-creating the Red Mile at home.

Shirts off for Kiprusoff.
Prove it
Old 06-30-2020, 09:02 PM   #289
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
6. Win play-in. Jets won lottery.
Ugh. Hadn’t thought about that. With Flames swept in the next round. I now feel this is the most likely outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:47 AM   #290
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

The amount of things effecting the validity of the Cup winner this season is just beyond salvageable.

- 4 months in-between the final Regular Season game and the start of the Playoffs.
- Enough time for players to heal their injuries and be ready for the Playoffs when they otherwise would've missed.
- Players potentially opting out of participating. If a player of significance decides to opt out, that seals the deal in my opinion. Especially if it's a significant player from a Cup favorite.
- The fact that reporters are saying a large group - if not a majority - of players say they don't even want to return to play this season. They care much more about the money.
- On that note, the fact players won't have anywhere near the same level of competitiveness, intensity and drive to win this year versus previous years.
- The fact there won't be any parade or celebration for the team who wins the Cup.
- Etc, etc..

Even if the Flames were to win the Cup, they're not going to get any respect from opposing teams and fans. Us Flames fans wouldn't even be able to enjoy it. Same goes to any team that wins it.

I can understand a few of your arguments here, but your last few are a big stretch. A parade affecting the validity of the Cup? Really?: "Although we will acknowledge the 2020 Stanley Cup winner, it must be mentioned that there was not a parade for the victory, and therefore an asterisk will be engraved next to the team name on the Stanley Cup"... also, "Etc, etc..." ... elaborate on the Etc? I can't think of other reasons.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:28 AM   #291
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

- Etc, etc..

That's definitely your opinion, and not one that I share at all. You bet I'll cheer my butt off if the Flames win the cup. No one says Chicago won 2.5 cups in the past decade.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:44 PM   #292
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't attach * to anything, but it is interesting that both CHI and NJD had established themselves and continued to be elite teams.

TBL and CAR were flashes in the pan.

CAR:
Finals loss to DET
2 seasons missed playoffs (+ lockout year)
Won Cup
2 seasons missed playoffs
Conference finals (swept by Pens)
then 9 years missing playoffs before getting swept again in the Conf. Finals last year.

Obscure stat of the day: the Hurricanes have not lost in the 1st or 2nd round of the playoffs since 2001.

The Lightning missed for 6 straight years and then made it to the 2nd round in the year before they won the cup. Two first round exits then 3 years of no playoffs followed the lockout year.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:45 PM   #293
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was hoping for the ultimate root for chaos scenario where the top three picks were all awarded to mystery teams, resulting in each of the losers having a 37.5% chance at a top-three pick. The reactions from a fan base whose team was down 2-0 in the series with a 3/8 shot at a top three pick would have been glorious to witness.

But, first overall going to a mystery team is pretty awesome.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:40 PM   #294
Eubee
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
If the Flames win we can take over Deerfoot and Stoney Trail and use vehicles to celebrate.
Anderson Road.
Eubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 02:21 PM   #295
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eubee View Post
Anderson Road.
You mean Andersson Road, right? After he scores the cup clinching goal.
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 04:30 PM   #296
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read that the finals are being played in Edmonton?

How sweet would it be to win the cup in their barn? Even if McDavid eventually brought a cup there Flames fans can always say they were the first to win one in Rogers Place. It would be something we could run in their faces for 30 years until they build another rink.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2020, 04:14 PM   #297
tsquared1967
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Looking at the NHL standings for 2020, do the Flames have the 13th pick in the draft if they don't make it to the semifinals or if win the draft lottery?
tsquared1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:24 PM   #298
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsquared1967 View Post
Looking at the NHL standings for 2020, do the Flames have the 13th pick in the draft if they don't make it to the semifinals or if win the draft lottery?
Right now it's pick 16 IIRC, but can move up or down several spots depending on the play in series' and playoffs too.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote