Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2023, 08:44 PM   #401
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

So after reading that article, there was 0 mention of Kadri. Associating Kadri to homophobia to his mosque would be akin to calling catholics who followed a pedophilic priest a bunch of child diddlers. No one is saying that here. What did Nazem Kadri do that would make him homophobic?
Old 03-19-2023, 08:49 PM   #402
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread never fails to entertain.
Old 03-19-2023, 09:08 PM   #403
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoLevi View Post
Sources?

Sure.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nazem-kadri...io/c-335402662

LONDON, Ontario -- When Nazem Kadri stepped to the stage with the Stanley Cup in front of the London Muslim Mosque before a crowd of thousands Saturday, he said what many in the crowd surely were thinking:

"This is a big deal."

And then this:

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/...unity-backlash

A Western University social media post supporting the fight against homophobia included an illustration of two women in hijabs about to kiss – sparking a backlash from London’s Muslim community that forced school officials to delete it. The image, posted on the school’s Instagram account Tuesday to mark the International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia, and Biphobia, was met with a firestorm of criticism from people who were offended by the imagery.

They said the post was “inappropriate” and “disrespectful” because the hijab, an Islamic veil, has religious and spiritual connotations. Wrote one person: “Shame on you Western for such an insulting mockery post to my religion.”...One Muslim community leader, Iman Abd Alfatah Twakkal, said the London Muslim community was drafting a response to the images, which he called “inappropriate.”

One guess where Abd Alfatah Twakkal is the Imam...
This is utterly pathetic. The second article doesn't mention Kadri at all.
Old 03-19-2023, 09:08 PM   #404
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
So after reading that article, there was 0 mention of Kadri. Associating Kadri to homophobia to his mosque would be akin to calling catholics who followed a pedophilic priest a bunch of child diddlers. No one is saying that here. What did Nazem Kadri do that would make him homophobic?
Taking the Stanley Cup to celebrate it with someone who is quite openly homophobic seems to be worthy of examination.
Old 03-19-2023, 09:13 PM   #405
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Taking the Stanley Cup to celebrate it with someone who is quite openly homophobic seems to be worthy of examination.
Then examine it and don't post anything until you come back with the results, you plonk head.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FormerPresJamesTaylor For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 09:14 PM   #406
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You're dragging someone's name through the mud just to deflect. You really think starting a rumour like that about someone is smart?
Old 03-19-2023, 09:15 PM   #407
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You just moved the goalposts on everyone here with a hell of an accusation against Kadri. You may be right but right now there is nothing other than some people from his mosque that have homophobic views. This board has people with homophobic views, but not all of us are guilty of your views.
Old 03-19-2023, 09:20 PM   #408
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
No, and I think that’s a pretty disingenuous question for pretty obvious reasons. And if not, just think about it for like a minute.
Ok, go ahead and elaborate. Nobody chooses to be black, you just are. Same thing with being gay. So why is it ok to not "support" only one of those groups?
Old 03-19-2023, 09:23 PM   #409
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

All that work defending Reimer from criticism and accusations of homophobia under the guise of being the ultimate liberal just to turn around and lob all the same stuff at Kadri because he’s a Muslim.

This isn’t the first time BoLevi has openly expressed contempt for and singled out Muslims or even visible minorities in general in his criticisms. Like most bigots, he’s just a hypocritical, unintelligent loser who comes here begging for attention. I don’t know why you guys give him the time of day.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 09:23 PM   #410
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
You just moved the goalposts on everyone here with a hell of an accusation against Kadri. You may be right but right now there is nothing other than some people from his mosque that have homophobic views. This board has people with homophobic views, but not all of us are guilty of your views.
It's not an accusation, it's simply a statement of fact. Kadri celebrated the cup, in public, with a person who is a known homophobe and who actively works against the acceptance of gay people in general and gay muslims in particular.

Nothing in that statement is an opinion, an accusation, or incorrect.

I find it remarkable that given the sensitivity to the topic displayed here that this isn't considered bigger news.

CP? Crickets
CBC? Crickets?
Local Media? Crickets.

I'd love a reporter to ask Kadri: "what are your comments on the imam on the London Mosque, which you visited with the cup, targeting Universities for the pride day activities?"
Old 03-19-2023, 09:26 PM   #411
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
All that work defending Reimer from criticism and accusations of homophobia under the guise of being the ultimate liberal just to turn around and lob all the same stuff at Kadri because he’s a Muslim.

This isn’t the first time BoLevi has openly expressed contempt for and singled out Muslims or even visible minorities in general in his criticisms. Like most bigots, he’s just a hypocritical, unintelligent loser who comes here begging for attention. I don’t know why you guys give him the time of day.
Reimer made specific reference to welcoming everyone, even if he didn't want to wear a jersey.

Kadri appears to have more actively endorsed a person who is proudly homophobic.

These things aren't even in the same universe - one being far more egregious than the other. I don't really care what Kadri does in the end, but as far as these things being on a spectrum, the Inclusivity Crusaders here probably have picked the lesser fight.
Old 03-19-2023, 09:27 PM   #412
Howie_16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
It's not an accusation, it's simply a statement of fact. Kadri celebrated the cup, in public, with a person who is a known homophobe and who actively works against the acceptance of gay people in general and gay muslims in particular.

I find it remarkable that given the sensitivity to the topic displayed here that this isn't considered bigger news.

CP? Crickets
CBC? Crickets?
Local Media? Crickets.

I'd love a reporter to ask Kadri: "what are your comments on the imam on the London Mosque, which you visited with the cup, targeting Universities for the pride day activities?"
I'm sure someone from Rebel Mediocre would try to ambush Kadri like that. A real journalist wouldn't.
Old 03-19-2023, 09:31 PM   #413
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

CP? Crickets
CBC? Crickets?
Local Media? Crickets.

Then be the change you want to see. I've messaged several NHL players through AMAs and privately on reddit and had pleasant exchanges with the few that have responded.

To come out with saying Kadri is homophobic and then backing it up with this crap is unacceptable and, I hope nothing more than trolling.
Old 03-19-2023, 09:33 PM   #414
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

CP? Crickets
CBC? Crickets?
Local Media? Crickets.

If the Flames win the Stanley Cup and we have a CP get together party afterward, does that mean I endorse everything you've ever said? Hopefully CBC or the local media won't interview me.

Kadri wasn't mentioned anywhere in that article other than an inference of attending the same mosque as that guy. Just imagine, next, he might be inside the same grocery store as someone else.
Old 03-19-2023, 09:44 PM   #415
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
If the Flames win the Stanley Cup and we have a CP get together party afterward, does that mean I endorse everything you've ever said? Hopefully CBC or the local media won't interview me.

Kadri wasn't mentioned anywhere in that article other than an inference of attending the same mosque as that guy. Just imagine, next, he might be inside the same grocery store as someone else.
He didn't just "attend". The homophobic Abd Alfatah Twakkal is the imam at the mosque. And Kadri didn't try to avoid the limelight until it was pushed on him...he made a big deal of the whole affair.

And yet it turns out the imam and the mosque are actively participating in homophobic rhetoric.

And CP conveniently forgets the title and spirit of the thread and starts making excuses.
Old 03-19-2023, 09:56 PM   #416
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Islam may not be quite as fragmented as Christianity is, but it is very diverse in belief, interpretation and practice in my experience. Each Mosque will have a whole spectrum of beliefs. I've got lots of friends that eat bacon and drink beer.

We don't have a problem here until Kadri says something offensive.
Old 03-19-2023, 09:58 PM   #417
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
He didn't just "attend". The homophobic Abd Alfatah Twakkal is the imam at the mosque. And Kadri didn't try to avoid the limelight until it was pushed on him...he made a big deal of the whole affair.

And yet it turns out the imam and the mosque are actively participating in homophobic rhetoric.

And CP conveniently forgets the title and spirit of the thread and starts making excuses.
We let you and a bunch of other racist ass bigots post here, does that make CP homophobic by association the way it does Kadri?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 10:05 PM   #418
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
See I am more of a glass half full guy. I am old enough to remember when gay marriage was an actual public policy issue and people would talk about slippery slopes involving animals and all sorts of things. And their views were actually taken as something you should listen to. Now people who oppose basic human rights for other human beings are roundly criticized for being the bigots that they are. Their views are seen for the utter hatred that they are. I see our society getting much better in that regard whereas you see it as a negative.
I'd like to remain half full on that, but have you seen a significant portion of our population speak to the trans community?
Old 03-19-2023, 10:06 PM   #419
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Funny until now the only thing James Reimer stood out for in my mind was his uber hot wife.

I could not care less what he thinks. That he stops pucks for big money gives him an undeserved platform.

How far the needle has moved as to what’s newsworthy these days.
Hahaha, just look at who thanked your post.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 10:09 PM   #420
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

C'mon people. Many immigrant and religious communities push bigoted and conservative ideas. Holding Kadri responsible for those ideas would be like holding you responsible for all the bad ideas your grandfather and his community had.

Until Kadri actually does something to justify it, he shouldn't be mentioned in this conversation. Kadri doesn't have the power to charge the minds of all the little at his mosque. There are lots of progressive people who struggle with belonging to conservative families and backgrounds, expecting them to ostracized themselves or be held responsible for all the bad ideas in their community isn't reasonable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread