Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-03-2022, 10:53 PM   #441
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

any chance it was one of sutters motivational mind games to get Phillips to push himself over the last hurdle with his game (whatever that might be) ?

unlikely but who knows
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 10:58 PM   #442
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Phillips points per game as the season goes on

Old 12-03-2022, 11:22 PM   #443
CF84
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

When Sutter looks back to the first Kings cup, he probably remembers 21 year old Toffoli as a 28 year old. Toffoli didn't look any better than our top AHL players and he still got a solid look with the Kings.

Sutter may be my favorite coach, but his comments make him seem like an old stubborn mule. He should know a thing or two about old stubborn mules because of his summer vocation.

If they have a plan for Phillips that involves him getting a look sometime later in the year, I'll be happily satisfied. I'll be choked if they don't even give one good chance to someone who has CLEARLY earned a call-up.

Keep it up Matthew! Make this management look so stupid, they're forced into making a decision.
CF84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 12:20 AM   #444
FlamesAreOne
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ah ffs, just call him the F up.
FlamesAreOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 12:22 AM   #445
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Flames top forward this year is arguably Ruzicka, who is basically an AHL player. So the AHL argument is weak.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 12:34 AM   #446
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike View Post
The Flames top forward this year is arguably Ruzicka, who is basically an AHL player. So the AHL argument is weak.
But but he's big, farm boy big.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 12:35 AM   #447
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Better off paying no attention at all to what he says to the media. I stopped listening his first time around.
Absolutely. Anything said publicly needs to be taken with a grain of salt. He often outright lies. It's not a shock to me if he doesn't say what he really thinks about Phillips, or anyone in the organization. Sutter will say only what he thinks gives himself, a player, the team, or the organization an advantage over others.

Anyone I know that has met Sutter will always say what a good human he is outside of the public spotlight. I'd guarantee he wouldn't be an ass to Phillips just to be an ass.
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 12:38 AM   #448
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Sutter probably does his ahl assessment by hay bale throwing ability
Old 12-04-2022, 12:40 AM   #449
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fact that the blowhard Eric Francis was on the radio the other night going on about how he thinks Matthew Phillips is done in the Flames organization and will never play another game for the Flames gives me all kinds of hope that he will get a chance to prove himself with the Flames. Is Francis ever right about anything. Remember when he was on radio gauranteeing that Bruce Boudreau would be the next coach of the Flames. Claimed it was all but a done deal.
Old 12-04-2022, 12:43 AM   #450
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I just have a hunch that Francis is right this time.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 12:59 AM   #451
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

it just sounds too fancis-y to be accurate

he's known for hot takes and doesn't have a crystal ball

how is Brad going to continue justifying keeping Phillips in the ahl .. it may take injuries further up the line up to happen but one way or another its tough to see it not happening

he's playing too well to be ignored
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2022, 12:59 AM   #452
Sofa GM
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If Phillips were to ever get called up I would run him with Huberdeau and Lindholm. You are bringing him up for offense, makes no sense to play him on a line with Coleman.
Sofa GM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sofa GM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2022, 01:21 AM   #453
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa GM View Post
If Phillips were to ever get called up I would run him with Huberdeau and Lindholm. You are bringing him up for offense, makes no sense to play him on a line with Coleman.
I would get him with Kadri so he could help Kadri get going again.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 01:33 AM   #454
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
I know people don’t believe this, but it really is helpful to be 6 ft 4 205 in the National Hockey League.

It’s especially helpful when you’re a skill player like Ruzicka.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 07:47 AM   #455
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are the expectations for a Phillips call up? Are people going to be happy when he is on a very short leash? Are people going to be okay if he comes up, doesn't generate much, and ends up sitting most of the game?

If Phillips comes up it is highly probable that Sutter will believe he has to shelter Phillips rather than playing in all situations. This is why he isn't getting a call up IMO. It's not about one-way play, it's about the two-way play that Sutter demands. I don't think he has the confidence that the player coming up will be able to play both sides of the puck at the NHL level, which limits the coach in how he can deploy the player. That is a problem that Phillips won't be able to overcome.

I'm all for a call up, I just don't think Phillips is going to live up to the Scorpion hype that is being built up and Sutter will not deploy the player to meet anyone's satisfaction. It will be a no win situation.

Last edited by Lanny_McDonald; 12-04-2022 at 08:30 AM.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 08:34 AM   #456
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The pendulum has swung so far for Phillips now he'd have to blow the roof off to impress the general fan base. You call out Scorpion for his overhype but you're just the other annoying end of the spectrum Lanny. Unless Philips turns the the water into wine you're going to say he's not an NHL player.

I'd like to see Phillips get called up with spot duty the remainder of the season, getting in roughly 25-30 games leading to a potential full time roster spot next season.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 08:40 AM   #457
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
What are the expectations for a Phillips call up? Are people going to be happy when he is on a very short leash? Are people going to be okay if he comes up, doesn't generate much, and ends up sitting most of the game?

If Phillips comes up it is highly probable that Sutter will believe he has to shelter Phillips rather than playing in all situations. This is why he isn't getting a call up IMO. It's not about one-way play, it's about the two-way play that Sutter demands. I don't think he has the confidence that the player coming up will be able to play both sides of the puck at the NHL level, which limits the coach in how he can deploy the player. That is a problem that Phillips won't be able to overcome.

I'm all for a call up, I just don't think Phillips is going to live up to the Scorpion hype that is being built up and Sutter will not deploy the player to meet anyone's satisfaction. It will be a no win situation.
It sounds like most people are fine if he spends 5-10 games with the big club and gets sent down again if he doesn't do much or is very ineffective. At least everyone will have a better idea of how Phillips looks in the NHL.

Regardless of whether Phillips is Czarnik-type tweener that can be called up with regularity for some scoring help or a third-line energy type like Yamamoto, both would be good successes for a 6th round pick.

Last edited by boogerz; 12-04-2022 at 08:42 AM.
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 08:41 AM   #458
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like he has done everything to earn an honest chance. There will always be those "yes, but ..." arguments about his size and two-way play, but leading the whole AHL in goals and points should be enough to get a serious look. Whether or not he could actually run with the chance in the NHL is another question, but there is no doubt in my mind that he has at least earned that chance and I think the Flames are dumb if they don't give it to him at some point. We'll just never know if he can sink or swim if we don't let him test the water at all.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 08:48 AM   #459
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Which just cycles us back to the fact that having both Rooney and Lucic in the lineup given how little they’re adding in terms of “tangibles” is difficult to justify when guys on the farm are making a case for a spot.

Rooney shouldn’t be on the team. Lucic should be subbing for injuries. That’s it.
Think our cycles are stopping with different conclusions.

Rooney hasn't really been playing, and I think Lucic has greater importance than you do.

I've said about a dozen times they could certainly bring up Phillips and sit down Ritchie but do that they have to find a player to move down out of the top nine.

With last night's three point performance that's not likely Ruzicka, so I think the holding pattern continues.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 08:51 AM   #460
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
To me always needing to have NHL veteran depth on your 4th line is a lot more “living in fear” than playing young players on your roster.

Those veterans are the low risk, no upside “safe” choice (if you consider getting caved in every night safe) . Young players are the high risk, potential high reward that is in no way “living in fear”

And it’s not just “top 3 AHL scorers” it’s two guys that have lit up the AHL the last two years in Pelletier and Phillips. Huge difference
Just keep going in circles ...

You can't just have Pelletier come up and play 7 minutes. So he can't be a fourth liner. If he his you up the fourth line to 10-11 minutes which means your top players get even less ice time.

Phillips I'm less concerned about at 24, but he'd have to work with Lewis and say Lucic and wouldn't get anything done anyway.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote