Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2022, 03:29 PM   #181
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Imagine if this was Johnny Gaudreau as a rookie excelling on the AHL team with Sutter as head coach.

Would Sutter look at his size and think, "nah, he'd never be able to finish a check up here, he's not coming up from the farm".

I am increasingly seeing evidence that points to that type of mentality.

Worst thing that could happen to us if Phillips turned into another Martin St. Louis situation. The guy deserves a chance, and not on a checking line. Look what happened when Ruzicka finally was put on a line with Lindholm and Toffoli.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 03:31 PM   #182
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
recently?

juuso
byron
kulak
hathaway
lomberg
very nearly kylington
That's not a very impressive list to be honest. My guess is that most teams have a list like that of prospects who don't make the cut and become reclamation projects. Seems like the Flames have picked up from other teams on waivers.

My biggest regret from that list would be that the Flames didn't get any assets for Valimaki. But a lot of that is hindsight with new depth acquisitions, Kylington and Andersson both taking off, and Valimaki being injured.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2022, 03:34 PM   #183
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
That's not a very impressive list to be honest. My guess is that most teams have a list like that of prospects who don't make the cut and become reclamation projects. Seems like the Flames have picked up from other teams on waivers.

My biggest regret from that list would be that the Flames didn't get any assets for Valimaki. But a lot of that is hindsight with new depth acquisitions, Kylington and Andersson both taking off, and Valimaki being injured.
For me Calgary has made more mistakes with players they have brought in, as opposed to players they have let go.
If there is criticism to be made, that is where I would target it.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2022, 03:34 PM   #184
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
Have you ever played hockey? And if so, what was the highest level you reached?

Just curious as to what qualifies some of these opinions.
oh i'm sorry, did you play in the nhl? i thought not. opinion = ignored
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 03:39 PM   #185
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
I can recall him committing one egregious turnover a couple games ago but every player on the team has been guilty of this. Usually Lucic is good at carrying the puck along the boards and getting it deep into the offensive zone. Mangi and Dube have been guilty of this much more than Looch of late, for example.

He's not an enforcer, but I agree I'd like to see him drop the gloves a little more frequently. Looks like he had 7 fights last season.

Occasionally the 4th line gets pinned in the defensive zone if there's a mismatch. I don't think this has happened recently any more than you'd expect - usually Looch/Lewis/Ritchie are decent at winning puck battles and regaining possession.

Who cares? That's not his role.

But he's not the #9 forward.
in this day and age where skill goes 4 lines deep on many teams if you can't score more frequently than that you shouldn't be in the NHL (unless you bring an excellent defensive skill set to the table - he does not)

"who cares , not his role"
that is 2002 thinking

doesn't fight (therefore low intimidation) , doesn't score , doesn't set up goals

what is he doing here

we will be hard pressed to find 220 goals from the whole team. we probably need 230 to be a playoff team

we need goals from everywhere . no one gets a pass because it's "not their role"

for this Flames team it's everyone's role

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 12-02-2022 at 03:49 PM.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 03:45 PM   #186
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is the thought process here that if you call Phillips up, Markstrom will magically remember how to goalie?

Bold strategy.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 03:46 PM   #187
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
recently?

juuso
byron
kulak
hathaway
lomberg
very nearly kylington
this is not the list you think it is...Ritchie and Lewis both have more goals this season than anyone on this list lol. A lot more in most cases

Last edited by dino7c; 12-02-2022 at 03:53 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 03:47 PM   #188
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Is the thought process here that if you call Phillips up, Markstrom will magically remember how to goalie?

Bold strategy.
the strategy is we start vladar 2 of every 3

and we play ruzicka and Phillips together on a line to rekindle their chemistry (while huberdeau plays on line 1) and hopefully create another skill line that clicks and can chip in some goals to contribute to the main goal of out scoring our subpar goaltending

that's what I would do in sutters shoes at least
Old 12-02-2022, 03:48 PM   #189
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:

Bold strategy.
Well then we have Phillips on the top two lines and Vladar in net. Can't hurt to try right? All it costs is a little cap space.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2022, 03:51 PM   #190
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Bold strategy.
The thought process is it sends a message to the forwards on this team that their roster spot is not guaranteed, that you better produce or there are a number of young, capable guys chomping at the bit to take your spot. At the same time, calling up one or more of these guys sends a positive message to current and future prospects that hard work and results actually get rewarded.

Last edited by Mathgod; 12-02-2022 at 03:58 PM.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mathgod For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2022, 03:52 PM   #191
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
"Not just about points" != "Points don't matter"
they matter but its more important when you score them...Kings put up a lot of points in their 9-8 lost the other night
Old 12-02-2022, 04:05 PM   #192
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

We all know that the Sutter coaches (both Darryl and Brian) tend to focus on the old style, big, tough, defensive type players, and Phillips is the exact opposite.

As I see it, Phillips has done everything possible to earn the chance to play for the Flames. And you would think that with Darryl's past experience with the talent and smallness of Gaudreau, that he would be able to override his tendencies, outlined above, and bring Phillips up for a few games.

However, I don't think there is any way our coach is going to listen to a bunch of guys on the internet.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 04:05 PM   #193
iggyloob12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Darryl has been at pretty much every Wranglers home game ... I think it's more than fair game to ask him what he thinks.
Well, asked and answered. That was never going to get more than a terse response.
iggyloob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 04:08 PM   #194
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
We all know that the Sutter coaches (both Darryl and Brian) tend to focus on the old style, big, tough, defensive type players, and Phillips is the exact opposite.

As I see it, Phillips has done everything possible to earn the chance to play for the Flames. And you would think that with Darryl's past experience with the talent and smallness of Gaudreau, that he would be able to override his tendencies, outlined above, and bring Phillips up for a few games.

However, I don't think there is any way our coach is going to listen to a bunch of guys on the internet.
then we'll hold his tractor hostage
Old 12-02-2022, 04:23 PM   #195
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
recently?

juuso
byron
kulak
hathaway
lomberg
very nearly kylington
Recently? Byron was a bonehead move but also seven years ago.

This group of players would lose to an AHL all star team. This is the hill you want to die on?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 04:34 PM   #196
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post

This group of players would lose to an AHL all star team. This is the hill you want to die on?
he is pretending he didn't make that terrible list

Ritchie/Lewis outscoring it badly
Old 12-02-2022, 04:34 PM   #197
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post

lol dying on what hill?

poster asked for what other players are examples of nhlers we let go from our system and I answered . i wasn't vehemently defending anything .. just providing what was asked for

regardless of the whelming list Phillips could end up being a worse mistake than all those names listed given the way he is trending .. I think he has the skill to cut it in this league . even if it's as a middle six option
Old 12-02-2022, 04:35 PM   #198
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
lol dying on what hill?

poster asked for what other players are examples of nhlers we let go from our system and I answered . i wasn't vehemently defending anything .. just providing what was asked for

regardless of the whelming list Phillips could end up being a worse mistake than all those names listed given the way he is trending .. I think he has the skill to cut it in this league . even if it's as a middle six option
Well maybe it was a ridiculously terrible list and you are just getting yourself worked up

again Ritchie and Lewis have are outscoring every guy on your decade old list of the ones that got away

Take an L
Old 12-02-2022, 04:38 PM   #199
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Well maybe it was a ridiculously terrible list and you are just getting yourself worked up

again Ritchie and Lewis have outscored every guy on your decade old list of the ones that got away

Take an L
on what? bringing up Phillips is still a great idea . that's the only hill I'm dying on

the Flames will bring taking plenty of Ls if they don't change their approach or shake things up
Old 12-02-2022, 04:39 PM   #200
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
on what? bringing up Phillips is still a great idea . that's the only hill I'm dying on

the Flames will bring taking plenty of Ls if they don't change their approach or shake things up
no just the list, but keep deflecting