Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-09-2022, 11:15 AM   #981
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsBack View Post
Wasn't he found not guilty.... I don't know that facts and wasn't on the jury, but I do know there have been many false accusations made against many people... so if your falsely accused... that means you can never play in the NHL again? I would hope that our justice system got it right... that would be my first concern if they got it wrong and he's truly guilty.... more than if he plays hockey again.
All that means is that they didn't have the evidence to convict him, which given the circumstances is hardly a shocking outcome.

I knew Jake personally in high school. The allegations against him were not surprising, and I 100% believe the victim in this case. That's all I'm going to say.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2022, 11:16 AM   #982
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The two players for possible cap dump:

Puljujärvi
Foegele

Good luck with that Holland.
I think they could move both (probably with a pick) for future considerations to a handful of teams with cap space, and finish up the roster with a couple league minimum guys, and be right against the cap.

The fact they need to do that, and are also apparently "in on Virtanen", makes me laugh. I hope they sign him first to really compound their problem.
Old 09-09-2022, 11:29 AM   #983
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

OJ was also found not guilty
Old 09-09-2022, 11:35 AM   #984
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Glad they're in a pickle with the cap and twiddling their thumbs about it a week out from rookie camp.

And to think they were talking about Kane, LandPhil and Virtanen like the numbers were of no consequence.

Media members were making columns about these players joining the fold like it was a real possibility but failed to account for the math.

Do they think shedding cap is something another team will gladly accommodate for them, that can just be done on a whim?

As you saw with Monahan, it comes with a not insignificant cost.
Old 09-09-2022, 12:24 PM   #985
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
I think they could move both (probably with a pick) for future considerations to a handful of teams with cap space, and finish up the roster with a couple league minimum guys, and be right against the cap.

The fact they need to do that, and are also apparently "in on Virtanen", makes me laugh. I hope they sign him first to really compound their problem.
Just looking at it, outside of Buffalo, Arizona and Anaheim there aren't a lot of teams with cap space to burn on bad contracts/players.

JP I could see, but his value is so low, that Holland basically stated he was going to move him and nobody jumped on that wagon. Like non.

I'd value shop on him and want a premium to take him.

Foegele is simply no good, he looked awful last year, and I doubt that teams are going to jump on his 2 3/4 contract.

Again though if Edmonton is willing to part with their first or a prospect like Holloway, then it could happen.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2022, 12:30 PM   #986
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Just looking at it, outside of Buffalo, Arizona and Anaheim there aren't a lot of teams with cap space to burn on bad contracts/players.

JP I could see, but his value is so low, that Holland basically stated he was going to move him and nobody jumped on that wagon. Like non.

I'd value shop on him and want a premium to take him.

Foegele is simply no good, he looked awful last year, and I doubt that teams are going to jump on his 2 3/4 contract.

Again though if Edmonton is willing to part with their first or a prospect like Holloway, then it could happen.
Yep, good assessment. 3 teams is kind of a handful I thought maybe Detroit or Chicago too.
Old 09-09-2022, 01:10 PM   #987
GhostCookie
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I found it! Peak No Goodness! The kind of NG that demonstrates that most of the coiler fans have no understanding of how being a GM works outside of video games. When news is boring, HF is a goldmine of empty hopes and dreams by the fans of team toilet seat.

It's hard to pick a best part of the below but some of the highlights include:
-The only push back is the ducks would probably want more (so upgrade the pick and toss in another prospect is the solution)
-In what is considered one of the deepest drafts in years, the oilers would not pick until the 5th round, and would only pick 13 (or 12 if they made the final) out of their next 21 picks, assuming they don't trade more picks for a rental later on in the year.
-The math doesn't actually work out as retaining 25% of 28 million in contracts is 7 million and they are trading 7.5, plus 414k over the cap. Meaning they still can't sign McLeod without sending someone down to the minors, and the only waiver exempt contract they have is Broberg, who many of their fans have claimed will become a major part of their D core this year. Furthermore, they would still be accruing no cap space, meaning any deadline deals dear Kenny makes are gonna be further stripping out the future, as he would need to be moving bad money out to make any room, which costs picks and prospects.

I think P Kane is still an excellent hockey player. Toews I don't think can make as much impact, and while Klingberg would easily be their best D, I don't think he revamps them into a defensive powerhouse. Not to mention this would require 3 players waiving trade clauses to go to Edmonton, as well as Winnipeg desiring 2 years of Barrie.

Quote:
To EDM:
Kane @25%
Toews@25%
Klingberg@25%

To WPG:
Barrie

To BUF:
WPG 2022 3rd
EDM 2023 3rd
25% of Klingberg's contract
25% of Toews contract

To ANA:
50% of Klingerg's contract
25% of Kane's contract
EDM 2022 2nd
EDM 2024 4th

To CHI:
50% of Kane's contract
50% of Toews contract
JP
Samorukov
EDM 2022 1st
Conditional 2023 1st (top 3 protected) if EDM makes the SCF

This is a huge mess but the cap works out with room for Mcleod.
Old 09-09-2022, 01:24 PM   #988
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Then proceeded to sign him for $3M....The Oilers are too easy to laugh at.
Old 09-09-2022, 01:28 PM   #989
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostCookie View Post
Quote:
To EDM:
Kane @25%
Toews@25%
Klingberg@25%

To WPG:
Barrie

To BUF:
WPG 2022 3rd
EDM 2023 3rd
25% of Klingberg's contract
25% of Toews contract

To ANA:
50% of Klingerg's contract
25% of Kane's contract
EDM 2022 2nd
EDM 2024 4th

To CHI:
50% of Kane's contract
50% of Toews contract
JP
Samorukov
EDM 2022 1st
Conditional 2023 1st (top 3 protected) if EDM makes the SCF

This is a huge mess but the cap works out with room for Mcleod.
This is what happens when you let children mess around on the internet unsupervised.
Old 09-09-2022, 01:52 PM   #990
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post
Then proceeded to sign him for $3M....The Oilers are too easy to laugh at.
The second year of Smith for not league minimum still astounds me.

The team's generosity toward guys that can't find homes elsewhere knows no bounds, even at the expense of its cap structure & flexibility to sign important players.
Old 09-09-2022, 01:54 PM   #991
NegativeSpace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
The second year of Smith for not league minimum still astounds me.

The team's generosity toward guys that can't find homes elsewhere knows no bounds, even at the expense of its cap structure & flexibility to sign important players.
It's not generosity. It's people choosing between retirement and playing for Edmonton.
Old 09-09-2022, 02:04 PM   #992
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegativeSpace View Post
It's not generosity. It's people choosing between retirement and playing for Edmonton.
Hear, hear.
Old 09-09-2022, 02:11 PM   #993
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Even after moving Smith & Klefbom to the LTIR, that still leaves the Oilers $400k over the cap. Once they sign McLeod to his ~$1.2M deal, they'll be ~$1.6M over. Add the 23rd body @ $900k, and they're $2.5M over the cap.

Is their plan to just have Yamamoto ($3.1M), Puljujarvi ($3.0M), and Foegele ($2.75M) all take alternating turns on the LTIR?
Old 09-09-2022, 02:26 PM   #994
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
OJ was also found not guilty
Is that that fall back.... that's almost paramount to Godwin’s Law - it's not really a good way to argue your point - it sort of kills the debate.

BUT....

I watched the OJ case.... I always thought there was something not quite right on both sides of that case, something was extremely fishy - let me explain. First let me say.... I always thought that OJ did it back then, but also thought since they planted evidence - beyond a reasonable doubt (the high bar) was not reached and the jury needed to acquit.

1) Why did OJ do what he did after he was charged, to me, it almost seemed like either he did it... or he was protecting someone that did, and why would he protect someone at an extremely high cost to him - this pointed to his guilt to me since I couldn't figure out why he'd protect someone unless he hired them to do it.

2) Why was the evidence tampered with by the police and prosecution... why would they need to go to this level if he was guilty. There was clearly blood preservative in some of the blood found at the crime scene. The crime scene wasn't exactly a clean crime scene either, there was tons of evidence and even finger prints (a thumb print I think) and even a watch style cap left behind by the killer - the cap was later found to contain hair evidence including dog hairs.

Now.... I thought OJ did it... but there has been more evidence recently that has come to light that has made me reconsider my assumptions and beliefs and I now suspect he didn't and was only protecting the true culprit who he and his lawyers knew the identity of (and was hired by him - so lawyer/client privilege all around). I also don't think OJ ordered the killing - which would have made him just as guilty as if he did it himself. I think it's fun to go back and look at the case again - if you do it honestly, I think you may come to the same outcome I did. I would certainly like to see justice in this case, even if OJ and his lawyers want to protect that individual - there is no statute of limitations on murder.

Anyhow.... back to the topic... I don't know him, I respect what N-E-B said about his character, he could be a creepy guy, and maybe that's a good enough reason for a team not to hire him, and I think that is valid, character is something you should look at when hiring someone... But he was found not guilty in a court of law and it is not the leagues or its teams job to judge that - it was a jury and judge's job to do so, and they got to see all the evidence and made the call - I must trust that. Many (guilty) people do get off... but many others are also falsely accused and we are not in the position to judge either way.

Last edited by JackIsBack; 09-09-2022 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-09-2022, 05:48 PM   #995
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

why are we talking about OJ Simpson in a Oilers No Good thread?

Besides his son did it :0

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 09-09-2022, 06:06 PM   #996
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2022, 06:51 PM   #997
mennoknight
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

10000 words about Oj
holy christ when does the season start
Old 09-09-2022, 06:53 PM   #998
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
why are we talking about OJ Simpson in a Oilers No Good thread?

Besides his son did it :0

Haven't you noticed? Derailing is a thing in CP?
Old 09-09-2022, 07:00 PM   #999
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I just want to see the new Flames bash some Oilers skulls and kickoff the annual period of Edmonton media guys eating crow and throwing obscure players and/or goalies under the bus for their team struggles.
Old 09-09-2022, 08:32 PM   #1000
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I just want to see the new Flames bash some Oilers skulls and kickoff the annual period of Edmonton media guys eating crow and throwing obscure players and/or goalies under the bus for their team struggles.

The BOA should be pretty entertaining this year, as the Flames have completely switched out their core and the new guys will no doubt be itching to make their mark on the rivalry.

Also it'll be fun watching Kadri annoy the f*** out of the Oilers all season.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good , no good no good , no good no good no good , not f***ing good enough