Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2022, 02:06 PM   #2941
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
The Bouche-Bomb is a Bouche-Bust!
dumbest thing debrusk has coined in his career

stone has a better " bomb"
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2022, 02:06 PM   #2942
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Speaking of Bouchard ...

The second coming of Brent Burns has 0 goals and 6 points in 20 GP this season. Who saw that coming?
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2022, 02:45 PM   #2943
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
They get about 4 million if they let Ryan, Janmark, Murray and Shore go in UFA, but Skinner and McLeod need new deals so they probably lose most of it there. Then there’s Poolparty at $3M needing a new deal as RFA. That’s their only move to not qualify him and get that space.

Then they need 4 new forwards on league minimum to ice a team.
Those 4 cost $4.1M combined. But if they let them walk, they have to replace them. Even if all 4 replacements are at league minimum, they only save $600k

You have to think Bouchard gets at least Ceci money, and more likely Barrie money. But even if they re-signed him for $1.5M, that still eats up all of the potential savings of the other 4.
Old 11-24-2022, 02:56 PM   #2944
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
For $275,000 less they could have paid Ville Husso. Buuuuut… Ville Husso didn’t play for Toronto soooo… they weren’t interested.

Good point.... that's is the problem when you're always chasing, the grass is always greener over there and you neglect your own prospects and seem to always miss the great trade and just collect other peoples trash. I suspect that the Oilers' didn't want to give up a draft pick for the signing rights, but more to your point, a goalie from Toronto (the other hockey epicenter in Canada), that has to be good.

Look at the goalies that Edmonton has passed on in the past... always looking for greener. Dubnyk comes to mind. They misplayed Talbot, he was the real reason they made that run in 2016-2107 that was suppose to leave Calgary in their standings rear view mirror for years to come.

Edmonton is always in the past... They always seem to win the lotteries, or get the big breaks but never can address their real issue, an inferiority complex with the city of Calgary. How else can you explain a city putting "City of Champions" on their "Welcome to" sign. It all started before the province of Alberta was created... each city was given a choice, to host the University (U of A) today (immediate gratification - and a big boost to the economy) or be patient and wait to be named the capital of the new province, Edmonton chose the University and Calgary laid claimed to the capital... but in 1905 with a change in the government - Edmonton got both. Calgarians' were mad and were forced to adapt and we decided to become the corporate capital of Alberta.... and Edmonton has been jealous ever since - they always wanted it all.

Why is the biggest mall in Edmonton... forget the fact that it's just the same stores repeated 4 times over, they could of just made it with all the same bells and whistles still present but make it with with one forth the stores... but they needed that moniker - "World's biggest Mall" or at the very least.... "Bigger then Chinook" - never mind that Chinook Mall is one of the hottest retail rental locations in Canada, West Edmonton Mall is not, but to them... the important things can be seen superficially. Forget that it was built on the cheap... Chinook Mall had marble floors... West Edmonton Mall used cheap tile flooring similar to Marlborough Mall - but it was BIGGER, that's the only thing that matter to them.

The Oilers' are much the same... they're always looking for the greatest thing... they will always sacrifice addressing their true needs for the latest and greatest, and to them, offense is the greatest, - this is why they always take the same type of players in the draft, the offense ones. Four number one picks overall and not a defensive player among them. Sometimes the draft selections make the pick for you, you have to take the best when that option is presented, but other times, they had a choice. This is why they overpaid Nurse... they always wanted a 9+ million dollar defense-man, something Calgary doesn't have, something they can boost about, it doesn't matter that the 9+ million dollar man is just dressed up to look that way. This is why they have "generational talent" - to them, Calgary has never had that... that phrase ("generational talent") is a dig at Calgary.... it's we're bigger then them... it's addressing that inferiority complex.

It why they pay more for everything... a $60 popcorn and snack pack is BIGGER and better then the same $20 popcorn and snacks pack in Calgary. It's why their 50/50 draw is so big... they want BIGGER at all cost... and deep down, they want something for nothing, like the government paying (forcing Calgarians to pay too) for their ICE district... We here in Calgary are trying to work it so the business actually makes sense and works financially.

One more thing... it's why they wear dress shoes with sweat pants.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JackIsBack For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2022, 02:56 PM   #2945
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Those 4 cost $4.1M combined. But if they let them walk, they have to replace them. Even if all 4 replacements are at league minimum, they only save $600k
An Oiler logic response to this would be if they give Bunting a contract then they only need 3 other new forwards. 7x7 for Bunting it is.
Old 11-24-2022, 03:08 PM   #2946
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsBack View Post
Good point.... that's is the problem when you're always chasing, the grass is always greener over there and you neglect your own prospects and seem to always miss the great trade and just collect other peoples trash. I suspect that the Oilers' didn't want to give up a draft pick for the signing rights, but more to your point, a goalie from Toronto (the other hockey epicenter in Canada), that has to be good.

Look at the goalies that Edmonton has passed on in the past... always looking for greener. Dubnyk comes to mind. They misplayed Talbot, he was the real reason they made that run in 2016-2107 that was suppose to leave Calgary in their standings rear view mirror for years to come.

Edmonton is always in the past... They always seem to win the lotteries, or get the big breaks but never can address their real issue, an inferiority complex with the city of Calgary. How else can you explain a city putting "City of Champions" on their "Welcome to" sign. It all started before the province of Alberta was created... each city was given a choice, to host the University (U of A) today (immediate gratification - and a big boost to the economy) or be patient and wait to be named the capital of the new province, Edmonton chose the University and Calgary laid claimed to the capital... but in 1905 with a change in the government - Edmonton got both. Calgarians' were mad and were forced to adapt and we decided to become the corporate capital of Alberta.... and Edmonton has been jealous ever since - they always wanted it all.

Why is the biggest mall in Edmonton... forget the fact that it's just the same stores repeated 4 times over, they could of just made it with all the same bells and whistles still present but make it with with one forth the stores... but they needed that moniker - "World's biggest Mall" or at the very least.... "Bigger then Chinook" - never mind that Chinook Mall is one of the hottest retail rental locations in Canada, West Edmonton Mall is not, but to them... the important things can be seen superficially. Forget that it was built on the cheap... Chinook Mall had marble floors... West Edmonton Mall used cheap tile flooring similar to Marlborough Mall - but it was BIGGER, that's the only thing that matter to them.

The Oilers' are much the same... they're always looking for the greatest thing... they will always sacrifice addressing their true needs for the latest and greatest, and to them, offense is the greatest, - this is why they always take the same type of players in the draft, the offense ones. Four number one picks overall and not a defensive player among them. Sometimes the draft selections make the pick for you, you have to take the best when that option is presented, but other times, they had a choice. This is why they overpaid Nurse... they always wanted a 9+ million dollar defense-man, something Calgary doesn't have, something they can boost about, it doesn't matter that the 9+ million dollar man is just dressed up to look that way. This is why they have "generational talent" - to them, Calgary has never had that... that phrase ("generational talent") is a dig at Calgary.... it's we're bigger then them... it's addressing that inferiority complex.

It why they pay more for everything... a $60 popcorn and snack pack is BIGGER and better then the same $20 popcorn and snacks pack in Calgary. It's why their 50/50 draw is so big... they want BIGGER at all cost... and deep down, they want something for nothing, like the government paying (forcing Calgarians to pay too) for their ICE district... We here in Calgary are trying to work it so the business actually makes sense and works financially.

One more thing... it's why they wear dress shoes with sweat pants.
so what you're trying to say is Edmonton is canada's smallest weiner
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2022, 03:26 PM   #2947
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Does the Oilers organization track whose crested jersey most often gets thrown on the ice?
Old 11-24-2022, 03:28 PM   #2948
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Does the Oilers organization track whose crested jersey most often gets thrown on the ice?
I bet it's Tobias Reider.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2022, 03:47 PM   #2949
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The team store inventory must keep track. Don't they resell them?
Old 11-24-2022, 04:35 PM   #2950
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
so what you're trying to say is Edmonton is canada's smallest weiner
Lol.... In fewer words.

You can apply my logic to almost anything... Edmonton will always copy something that Calgary has - but then it will be BIGGER in Edmonton, at least they'll think it is.

When I was young, some Edmonton relatives told me that Edmonton Klondike Days (or whatever it's called today) was bigger and better than the Calgary Stampede. I said, "doesn't all the rides and games just travel north and get set-up there - isn't that part the same.... but we have a rodeo, do you?" Besides... Whoop-Up Days in Lethbridge is the best. (JJ) They also don't care about tradition.... they'll change the name of Klondike Days because there is no history behind it - it's just a copy.

They also talk about how rich Katz is... do you ever notice that. He's the richest man in Canada to them.... I know that many of us know the owners of the Calgary Flames... but we don't talk about them all that much.... Many of us have actually worked with many of them downtown... Doc Seaman sat on the board of directors at one of the company's I worked for, he was old at the time but I still knew him and talked to him. I also worked with relatives of Allan Markin and worked at companies owned by Murray Edwards and met him. It's no big deal to us.... you'd think they all knew Katz personally.

I also wonder how the Oilers got their name too.... I have no idea, but Houston, a city very similar to Calgary had a football team with the same name... was that another copy.

Now to apply my logic to something - License Plates.... I bet there are more Oilers plates issued than Flames ones. I have no idea if that's true... but I bet it is. Not that I'm criticizing anyone with one... but they'll want to show off their great team. Also, people from Calgary would be a little worried that their car would be pranked or worse if an Edmonton fan came across their car in an isolate place or if they had to travel to Edmonton - the threat going the other way would be way less. Also.... that BOA ring that was linked on here... your sales would be practically ZERO if it was Calgary that won and a ring made.

I bet they also sale more Jerseys - only because so many get returned via the annual jersey ice toss.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JackIsBack For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2022, 04:36 PM   #2951
Tkachukwagon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1595617628231716864
Old 11-24-2022, 04:51 PM   #2952
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

I sometimes worry about the Douglas Adams-esque paradox whereby if Edmonton would discover the true nature of their inherent No Goodness, they would cease to be No Good.

But then, I trust in the science of E=NG.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2022, 04:59 PM   #2953
SnipeShow
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Does a jersey that's been thrown on the ice count as game worn? They may be able to sell those back at a premium

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SnipeShow For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2022, 05:17 PM   #2954
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I sometimes worry about the Douglas Adams-esque paradox whereby if Edmonton would discover the true nature of their inherent No Goodness, they would cease to be No Good.

thankfully the current generation of leadership in the team and media are already either stupid or brainwashed and they're conditioning the next generation on the same kool aid . they also seem to only hire ex players with terrible reputations as people , so I'm firmly confident in the longevity of e=ng , plus .. it's science
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2022, 05:26 PM   #2955
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Generational talent at #1 in the draft…
It’s Edmontons year boys, load it up.
Old 11-24-2022, 05:27 PM   #2956
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
You know things are getting rough in mulletville when fans want Lowe to take over as GM.

How quickly they forget up there.

Whenever I think this wacky world of ours makes no sense in between Lizard-Men overlords, Australian Wildfires, Precarious Pandemics and land wars in Eastern Europe I remember that Kevin Lowe is still running the Edmonton Oilers and all is well again...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 11-24-2022, 05:40 PM   #2957
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Whenever I think this wacky world of ours makes no sense in between Lizard-Men overlords, Australian Wildfires, Precarious Pandemics and land wars in Eastern Europe I remember that Kevin Lowe is still running the Edmonton Oilers and all is well again...
He retired but his "midas touch" is still all over that organization.
Old 11-24-2022, 05:41 PM   #2958
All In Good Time
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Apparently holland said today that no trades were forthcoming
Got me thinking
With their cap situation, it’s pretty tough for them to do anything for a start
Then
What do they have to trade?
Yamamoto?
Puljujarvi?
That’s not gonna return much
All they have of value is their pick’s really
And
With Kane out
They might want to lottery protect that pick in this draft
So
They only have a couple of years left with there big forwards
And
They need to consider protecting any picks they trade
What a mess
Ha ha
Old 11-24-2022, 05:46 PM   #2959
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Don't worry. They are just as No Good at self-awareness as they are at everything else, so they never will discover it.

Dunning-Kruger Effect may just be the only thing in the universe that is truly foolproof.
Old 11-24-2022, 05:56 PM   #2960
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by All In Good Time View Post
Apparently holland said today that no trades were forthcoming
Got me thinking
With their cap situation, it’s pretty tough for them to do anything for a start
Then
What do they have to trade?
Yamamoto?
Puljujarvi?
That’s not gonna return much
All they have of value is their pick’s really
And
With Kane out
They might want to lottery protect that pick in this draft
So
They only have a couple of years left with there big forwards
And
They need to consider protecting any picks they trade
What a mess
Ha ha
This is the Edmonton Oilers of formatting.
Closed Thread

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good , no good no good , no good no good no good , not f***ing good enough