Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2022, 10:27 AM   #3021
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Surprised no discussion about the Xi going after Trudeau publicly at the G20 for leaking their discussion.

I suspect Trudeau is probably actually happy with it as being the guy China hates probably plays well politically at home.
Xi going after Trudeau like that means Trudeau probably showed some backbone for the first time in his life.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 10:30 AM   #3022
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Is your argument that the CBC serves no purpose and therefore should not be funded or something else?

Are you comfortable with all news coming from the private sector?
I'd be okay with public funding for just news. Are we doing that, or does CBC spend waste a lot of money on other programming that nobody watches?
Old 11-19-2022, 10:32 AM   #3023
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
so if you were trudeau - what would you do?
If past PM's faded away due to scandal, JT should be hiding in a cave by now, but his base doesn't care about all of his indiscretions/scandals and he has no scruples so I'm sure we'll hear from him and his family for years.
Old 11-19-2022, 10:32 AM   #3024
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Plenty of people look at the CBC for news for as simple a reason that they aren't paywalled.
CBC is often reporting local news that nobody else will.

Nothing wrong with funding that, and even being a little competitive and paying for some high quality journalists.

But the rest of the programming that CBC should be defunded and shut down. Let the private sector make TV shows.
Old 11-19-2022, 10:41 AM   #3025
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
If past PM's faded away due to scandal, JT should be hiding in a cave by now, but his base doesn't care about all of his indiscretions/scandals and he has no scruples so I'm sure we'll hear from him and his family for years.
Literally no one else is as obsessed with Trudeau as conservatives. After he retires from public life, he could go surfing at Tofino forever and it'll be conservatives that will keep track of what he does on a daily basis.
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Izzle For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2022, 10:44 AM   #3026
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Then you’re not really coming from a reasonable position worth giving time to.

I get the article is compelling to people like yourself. 11 unions sounds scary! The population of Nanaimo you say? $1.2 BILLION DOLLARS?

But a little bit of thought goes a long way. The CBC gets about 0.3% of the budget. It (apparently) equals the income tax of Nanaimo, which is 0.2% of the population. The numbers themselves are not really significant in the grand scheme of things, so it’s easy to call bull#### when you say things like “Well, I’d be all for increasing taxes if only they fixed that 0.3% they’re wasting! Oh well, guess it’s no more taxes!”

Having an honest debate about ways to improve the CBC and ensure the funding is proper is a debate worth having. But you’re not bringing anything interesting to the table, so who cares?
All government spending should be scrutinized. Just because “they are only throwing away 0.3% here” doesn’t make it any easier to take.

Look after the nickels and dollars will take care of themselves.
Old 11-19-2022, 10:46 AM   #3027
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Plenty of people look at the CBC for news for as simple a reason that they aren't paywalled.
1 percent is plenty?
Old 11-19-2022, 11:05 AM   #3028
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post
Literally no one else is as obsessed with Trudeau as conservatives. After he retires from public life, he could go surfing at Tofino forever and it'll be conservatives that will keep track of what he does on a daily basis.
I don't think Conservatives understand that nobody loves Trudeau and he doesn't have a rabid base. We just see the alternative the Conservatives pitch as being worse. I'd hardly consider myself a Liberal Party voter or fan of Justin Trudeau, but I sure as #### believe the Liberals and Trudeau will do better by Canadians than anybody the current Conservative Party is offering. It's literally that simple.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 11:14 AM   #3029
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
CBC is often reporting local news that nobody else will.
This.

I mean it's not like the CBC cancelled Rita and Friends despite it being its most popular show due to it not being proftable due to expenses, or threw a blank cheque at the NHL for hockey broadcasting rights.

They clearly just make programs for funzies.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 11:18 AM   #3030
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post
Everyone loves to keep tabs, as much as possible, on people that they despise or are jaded towards. This happens in private life with ex's, in popular culture and sports and obviously in politics. The right is obsessed with Trudeau or his counterparts like Biden and Obama. The left is still obsessed with Harper and Trump and Bush. This shouldn't be a surprise.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 11:31 AM   #3031
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I'd be okay with public funding for just news. Are we doing that, or does CBC spend waste a lot of money on other programming that nobody watches?
This is where I end up on the CBC re-direct the funding into news. I also think CBC radio provides a unique service that isn’t provided by the private sector.

I agree their TV production doesn’t seem different anymore than the private sector.

The other area I think would be interesting to focus on more is amateur sport. Giving exposure to athletes in sports that aren’t covered by the private sector would provide benefit to Canadian Athletics.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 11:32 AM   #3032
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
1 percent is plenty?
You thought 0.3% and 0.2% were pretty significant.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2022, 11:32 AM   #3033
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
1 percent is plenty?
Source
Old 11-19-2022, 12:04 PM   #3034
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
This is where I end up on the CBC re-direct the funding into news. I also think CBC radio provides a unique service that isn’t provided by the private sector.

I agree their TV production doesn’t seem different anymore than the private sector.

The other area I think would be interesting to focus on more is amateur sport. Giving exposure to athletes in sports that aren’t covered by the private sector would provide benefit to Canadian Athletics.
I find this viewpoint is very common, but it's amusingly flawed to me. TV production is the only thing the CBC does that actively generates advertising and subscription fee revenues ($432.4M in FY 2021-22). It is quite literally the only part of the corporation's activities that comes close to paying for itself.

Radio services make literally nothing, and cost about half the corporation's budget.

Getting rid of CBC TV production to focus solely on news and radio will result in essentially no savings to taxpayers whatsoever.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 12:12 PM   #3035
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I don't think Conservatives understand that nobody loves Trudeau and he doesn't have a rabid base. We just see the alternative the Conservatives pitch as being worse. I'd hardly consider myself a Liberal Party voter or fan of Justin Trudeau, but I sure as #### believe the Liberals and Trudeau will do better by Canadians than anybody the current Conservative Party is offering. It's literally that simple.
I think the polls are suggesting the opposite.
flamesfever is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesfever For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2022, 12:41 PM   #3036
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:

Agreed on both points.

CBC news with an emphasis on local news. Or just continuing what they do now.

CBC radio is great. I personally don't listen to a lot of radio, but I know lots of people that do.

CBC Sports shouldn't focus on the NHL where the big players compete and blow money to have the rights. Instead like you said, more focus on local sports.

Not sure how that all costs $1b+ per year though.
Old 11-19-2022, 12:43 PM   #3037
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
I find this viewpoint is very common, but it's amusingly flawed to me. TV production is the only thing the CBC does that actively generates advertising and subscription fee revenues ($432.4M in FY 2021-22). It is quite literally the only part of the corporation's activities that comes close to paying for itself.

Radio services make literally nothing, and cost about half the corporation's budget.

Getting rid of CBC TV production to focus solely on news and radio will result in essentially no savings to taxpayers whatsoever.
Well that is surprising to me. Especially the radio part. Radio services take up half the budget?

TV production does not include news?
Old 11-19-2022, 12:53 PM   #3038
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post

My thought is that if CBC tv production is profitable as you describe then it will be taken up by the private sector so there is no reason for it to be ran by government and the government shouldn’t be competing in the space as it offers no benefit to Canadians.

On the other hand the areas that lose money News and Radio will not be replicated by others and therefore need funding. I’m okay with increased funding to the CBC or decreased based on the budget requirements of a reasonable set of goals.

The discussion should focus on the goals first though then fund appropriately.
Old 11-19-2022, 01:02 PM   #3039
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://cbc.radio-canada.ca/en/impac...ial-highlights

Above is a link to the financials but I can’t find a breakdown between the different services.

Also CBC brings in 375 million in add/subscription revenue so for the statement that TV subsidizes radio to be true it would mean TV would need to be less than 375 of the 1.7B budget.

One thing when we talk about reach of CBC is that digitally they have 18 million unique views per month so that is an impressive reach.

A

Last edited by GGG; 11-19-2022 at 01:04 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2022, 01:13 PM   #3040
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Get away from the cities with all their FM choices and CBC AM is often the only choice for a mature listener. You can still tune in at 11:00 so set your clock.

More local news and weather is something I would spend tax dollars on.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote