Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-13-2022, 02:34 PM   #2081
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

One party just finished their leadership campaign, while another flounders in infighting:

Lorraine Rekmans exits Green Party, suggests pausing leadership contest over allegations of ‘discrimination and abuse’

Quote:
As one federal party’s leadership race comes to an end, another party’s contest has now been called into question.

While the Conservative Party of Canada handed a victory to Pierre Poilievre Saturday night, the Green Party grappled with several resignations within its inner circle, including a plea to suspend its ongoing leadership race amid the turmoil.

Green Party President Lorraine Rekmans announced she was stepping down from her role late Friday, citing a series of allegations and concerns she felt had emerged during her “turbulent tenure” in the position.

[...]

[...]earlier this week, Kuttner, who is nonbinary and transgender, was misgendered during a virtual event launching the party’s leadership contest. Rekmans issued a public apology at the time, though Kuttner underlined that Rekmans was not responsible for the incident.

In response to the error, which Kuttner says has happened on several occasions, four leadership candidates along with Ontario MP Mike Morrice published a letter expressing their dismay at the incident and said they would not tolerate such a “pattern of harassment.”
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 02:39 PM   #2082
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflyer View Post
Are people this stupid?
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 02:40 PM   #2083
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflyer View Post
So on the topic of Wokeness, Jamil Jivani: The Conservative MP who's fed up with the menace of woke corporations

Quote:
A summary of Kmiec’s bill, which was obtained by the National Post, explains that it would be “considered a breach in the duty of care owed to shareholders when directors and officers of a large distributing corporation (a company with a total market value of shares above $100 million) make activist statements, including in relation to public policy or social issues, that is not directly related to the business the corporation carries out and that could reasonably be expected to reduce the value of shares.”
What a moronic nothingburger of a bill. No corporation would go along with directors and officers making "activist statements" if it was "reasonably expected to reduce the value of shares". In fact a lot of people criticize the "activist statements" because they think it's just performative BS meant to increase share values.

"The party of 'small government'" sure loves to stick its nose into people's business...
Old 09-13-2022, 02:41 PM   #2084
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure the Green Party has a case for existing anymore. Their policies would have more chance of success if they weren't splitting progressive votes. Find a new way to have your interests represented.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 02:46 PM   #2085
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
K.

Sometimes.
You have to appreciate how many words were wasted on something we apparently agree on.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 02:48 PM   #2086
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

My pitch would be to reform the Greens into a true single issue party. Elect a Green MP and that MP will spend 100% of their time and energy working on environmental issues that directly impact the people of that riding, be they large scale or local. Sure, there are plenty of other issues that are important, but we're not going to form government so our purpose is giving voice to this one thing that in our view is of the utmost importance.

I think that brand would perform better.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2022, 02:49 PM   #2087
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember last election the view was NDP and Greens were the same party no need for both to exist, now I see the CPC and PPC pretty much the same party no need for both to exist. Curious if the PPC dissolves now that the CPC has a Bernier 2.0 leader.
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 02:50 PM   #2088
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'm not sure the Green Party has a case for existing anymore. Their policies would have more chance of success if they weren't splitting progressive votes. Find a new way to have your interests represented.
It's a tough one for me. Provincially in BC, for example, there's a real struggle in the NDP between progressives who strongly advocate for environmental concerns, and those who advocate for unions and labour, especially in industries like mining, fishing, logging, etc. It's a delicate balance, and I find myself flip-flopping between who I agree with more depending on the issue.

Ultimately, it's probably true that progressives need to figure out the pragmatic middle ground on the left on a case-by-case basis, as the corporatist right is ultimately the boogeyman for both factions.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 02:50 PM   #2089
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't think they have much of a reason to exist anymore either. When they were a one-issue party (a very broad issue, to be fair) and no other big party was addressing environmental issues and had any meaningful policy, sure, there was plenty of reason for them to bang the environmentalist drum. But now every big party (...save arguably the CPC...) has an environmental policy. You could still argue they don't go far enough, but that's semantics at this point.

I voted for the Marijuana Party in the past because I thought it was absurd that it was treated as a narcotic and—to the surprise of no one, really—all the hullabaloo about the 'dangers' of marijuana have proverbially gone up in smoke after legalization. Now that it is legal the Marijuana Party is essentially defunct and serves no purpose. I'm sure there are advocates who still don't like how legalization was handled and there are quibbles with the various provincial policies and implementations on the retail level, but 99.9997% of people who wanted it legalized are fairly satisfied with the outcome.

Now that the NDP/Liberals/Bloc have taken up the environmentalist mantle to one degree or another, what's left for the Greens to quibble about? Nothing much, hence they're adrift and eating their own, alienating their own MPs as they argue about a policy position on Israel, worrying about "misgendering incidents" and other such chicanery that 99.9997% of the rest of us couldn't care less about and think represents the very worst of the "performative wokeness" that people in this thread were just talking about.
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2022, 03:22 PM   #2090
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1crunch View Post
Right, so right around the time of Harper's historic apology, he commented that First Nations people LACKED the values of hard work, independence and self-reliance. Hence, he was suggesting they were lazy and lived off of government support.

Not a good look for him and he rightly apologized. But these comments will make him having any moral stance over indigenous issues in Canada difficult.
PP also sent a letter to the Queen opposing the appointment of Michelle Jean as the first black GG of Canada. The Queen said it should not matter.

https://twitter.com/gtlem/status/1568255368920272896
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 03:31 PM   #2091
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
PP also sent a letter to the Queen opposing the appointment of Michelle Jean as the first black GG of Canada. The Queen said it should not matter.

I make this post in defence of reality not PP, but nothing in that clip suggests his opposition was related to her race aside from the caption. Even in Jean’s own words she never says it’s race related she only mentions that they petitioned to have her appointment blocked. Could be for a whole bunch of reasons, including race, but there is nothing in that clip that suggests that was specifically the reason.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2022, 03:45 PM   #2092
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1569784634715537409
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 03:48 PM   #2093
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post

I remember Michaelle Jean being picked by Paul Martin, the pick was deeply controversial at the time because of her alleged support for Quebec separatism and French dual citizenship (which she renounced prior to taking her role).

This information is readily available.

To insinuate that Pierre Poilievre petitioned against Michaelle Jean for her being black is not only unfounded, but defamatory.

Last edited by Firebot; 09-13-2022 at 04:03 PM.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 04:13 PM   #2094
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
I remember Michaelle Jean being picked by Paul Martin, the pick was deeply controversial at the time because of her alleged support for Quebec separatism and French dual citizenship (which she renounced prior to taking her role).

This information is readily available.

To insinuate that Pierre Poilievre petitioned against Michaelle Jean for her being black is not only unfounded, but defamatory.
It is just easier to roll with the notion that conservatives are racists and deplorables though.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 04:17 PM   #2095
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1569779612657270785

https://twitter.com/user/status/1569797249470988288

And for Yoho...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1569785581525139456
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2022, 04:18 PM   #2096
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1crunch View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poi...team-1.6581317

"Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre revealed his Commons leadership team Tuesday in a social media post — a nine-member group that includes two LGBT MPs and one of the few persons of colour in the Conservative caucus."

Now see, should I view this as PP being "woke" because he chose 2 LGBT MPs and a person of colour for the the Conservative caucus? Did he do that because theyre the best for the jobs or because he's looking to meet a diversity quota?

I'm being rhetorical of course. In reality, I think he's doing what every other organizations does in that he's hoping to gain support for the Conservative Party from a brand range of people across Canadian society. And I don't really understand why that would be a problem for anyone.

I would find it absolutely hilarious if he starts to lose support due to this because, like O’Toole, he wasn’t “conservative” enough.
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 04:20 PM   #2097
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1569789930120822784

Looks like Andrew Scheer finally found some coat tails to sit on. Lucky us.
Old 09-13-2022, 04:21 PM   #2098
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Well that was pointless. Justinflation stupid Liberal heckler Justinflation no new taxes Justinflation Justinflation Justinflation. There, I saved everyone some suffering.
Guess that answers my question about fiscal planning.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 04:29 PM   #2099
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
It is just easier to roll with the notion that conservatives are racists and deplorables though.
Or maybe the person didn’t have the information that Firebot just presented. Easier to assume ill intentions though (am I doing that right?)
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 04:35 PM   #2100
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Or maybe the person didn’t have the information that Firebot just presented. Easier to assume ill intentions though (am I doing that right?)
It is moreso commentary on the original tweet and the way that they attempted to frame it as a racial matter. Of course without any attempt to look into the back story those that want to extend the narrative that PP is evil will jump all over that tweet and spread it around.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote