Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2024, 05:38 PM   #1
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default How is everyone dealing with their finances in this economy?

I will just lay everything on the table. I have no idea how people are surviving out there. I am married with 2 kids and make approx 90k after taxes. Wife doesn't work.

My mortgage is pretty low at 150k. I can't seem to save any money at the end of each year. Feels like I'm working just to stay afloat. I do save some but it definitely isn't enough for any kind of retirement. I don't have any benefits or a pension plan.

Having said all that I know lots of people are even in worse situations making less and it always boggles my mind how people can even afford these big mortgages. I have a friend who makes as much as me but his mortage is 3 times mine. I really don't understand how he does it.

Inflation is insane. Grocery shopping is insane. Feels like everything is over priced. I counted 12 strawberries the other day for $7. My kids eat 12 strawberries a day.

This is more of a rant and don't really know the point other than how are people getting by out there?
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Zary's-Mustache For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2024, 06:01 PM   #2
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel you. I know this site skews older and higher income, but Christ, if I didn't have a dual income and already owned a home, we'd be screwed. Lots of guys I worked with, so knowing what they make (decent money), are SOL. Single and trying to set money aside for a home, and being farther from their goal than when they started, is ridiculous

I don't know how anyone under 30 is gonna make it work going forward. Our country is ####ed

Last edited by btimbit; 04-16-2024 at 06:03 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2024, 06:04 PM   #3
Delthefunky
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't know how how lower income families can possibly be coping. Something has to give here...
Delthefunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Delthefunky For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2024, 06:07 PM   #4
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

My biggest impact thing is checking grocery flyers every week and buying items on sale. If pantry items go on deep discount I stock up on those things. I don't buy meat unless it is on sale now with the exception of brisket when I need it for a smoke.

Some things I've switched from fresh to frozen like strawberries and blueberries.

I've done things like switching to a hybrid to lower fuel costs and installing solar to lower electricity spending but those things come with a pretty hefty upfront cost and it generates savings down the road instead of right away.

Zary, if your kid likes strawberries hit up Save On Foods today as they have one pound clamshells for $1.49. It is a steal and I bought a bunch for my kids.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2024, 06:07 PM   #5
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Yeah it's insane out there. I don't get how people are doing it.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 06:12 PM   #6
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I really don't know how younger families can do it, at least not in a major city.

But I contributed to my family by eating a lot less food!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2024, 06:35 PM   #7
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I lucked into a well paying job and I work a a ton of extra hours. Wife works and does pretty well herself but she’s been off almost a year.

Got into the housing market at a great time, have a mortgage that based on our household income I am not worried about. We have some aspirations for the future about our retirement and our son that puts us in a fortunate position. Honestly though if you’re a 15-25 year old with little to no family wealth it is a damn slog out there to own a home. I do feel awful for those who are struggling to put food on the table as there are lots of skilled and educated workers that are being significantly underpaid. I’m also grateful for where we are financially and the security that comes with it. It’s a rare thing in these times and I feel fortunate for that.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 06:37 PM   #8
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I wonder if record grocery store profits are affecting the cost of food...
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to puffnstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2024, 06:40 PM   #9
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
I wonder if record grocery store profits are affecting the cost of food...
Yeah, what a wacky coincidence
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 06:40 PM   #10
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah it's nuts. Just got back from Paris and grocery stores were eye-opening out there: most items are noticeably cheaper (even after the conversion). Even brands I get back here. Really made it stand out for me about how expensive life is in these parts. Why?
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 06:47 PM   #11
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Yeah it's nuts. Just got back from Paris and grocery stores were eye-opening out there: most items are noticeably cheaper (even after the conversion). Even brands I get back here. Really made it stand out for me about how expensive life is in these parts. Why?
Profit$

Someone posted a leaked Loblaws cost-pricing-profit listing on twitter the other day. They make huge margins, roughly 40% on nearly everything. The whole 'its the supply chain' bs needs to end.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to puffnstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2024, 06:49 PM   #12
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I feel for the younger generation who is struggling to make ends meet. With sky high rents and housing prices going through the roof, it's a wonder that anyone can stay above water.

I know a single mother who is raising 2 teenage boys and struggles to put food on the table. Every so often I take her grocery shopping to fill up up her fridge and freezer. She's proud and doesn't accept my offers easily but appreciates what I do for her and her boys. You have to help others when you can.
Old 04-16-2024, 07:00 PM   #13
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I really don't know how younger families can do it, at least not in a major city.

But I contributed to my family by eating a lot less food!
My plan is to eat more, i have a pretty good life insurance plan.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zary's-Mustache For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2024, 07:08 PM   #14
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
I will just lay everything on the table. I have no idea how people are surviving out there. I am married with 2 kids and make approx 90k after taxes. Wife doesn't work.

My mortgage is pretty low at 150k. I can't seem to save any money at the end of each year. Feels like I'm working just to stay afloat. I do save some but it definitely isn't enough for any kind of retirement. I don't have any benefits or a pension plan.

Having said all that I know lots of people are even in worse situations making less and it always boggles my mind how people can even afford these big mortgages. I have a friend who makes as much as me but his mortage is 3 times mine. I really don't understand how he does it.

Inflation is insane. Grocery shopping is insane. Feels like everything is over priced. I counted 12 strawberries the other day for $7. My kids eat 12 strawberries a day.

This is more of a rant and don't really know the point other than how are people getting by out there?
Can your wife work? Single income families have it really tough... Even if she picks up like 3 days a week, 6 hours a day, at barely above minimum wage, that's an extra $1,500 a month to take the edge off.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2024, 07:10 PM   #15
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fair post. I live in the GTA and pricing on housing is crazy. Add in those extra costs and food and higher taxes and not much comes in cash savings at year end. I fortune to be in the housing market but don't have kids and don't know how people with kids do it. I've not been into politics but it's been pretty apparent stock market-wise that food monopolies have been outright lying as their financial statements are killing it. During the later half of the pandemic everything went up IMO because it was a convenient excuse where people were willing to pay more for everything and every company put up their prices because they could. Salaries didn't go up that much so most of it I'm convinced, was bull####. Add to that this carbon tax which I'm not sure what it truly is, and governments getting into the marketing game on this nonsense.

https://www.thestar.com/politics/fed...8fa42a8e2.html

I'm not a doomsday person but there are some really stupid things this government has done. It starts with housing and no matter Liberal or Conservative, I don't think anyone is looking out for the little guy with rocking the cart to get housing back to normal levels.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 07:23 PM   #16
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
Can your wife work? Single income families have it really tough... Even if she picks up like 3 days a week, 6 hours a day, at barely above minimum wage, that's an extra $1,500 a month to take the edge off.
My wife hasn't worked since 2008 and she is an accountant.... If i didn't have my 2nd gig and only depended on my full time job, I don't know where we would be.
Old 04-16-2024, 07:33 PM   #17
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I live on my own in a condo, doing it alone... it ain't easy that for sure. Way more difficult than even four years ago. But peace of mind living on my own with no kids is something I'd still have a very hard time giving up. Although dual income sounds more appealing by the day...
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 07:47 PM   #18
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
Fair post. I live in the GTA and pricing on housing is crazy. Add in those extra costs and food and higher taxes and not much comes in cash savings at year end. I fortune to be in the housing market but don't have kids and don't know how people with kids do it. I've not been into politics but it's been pretty apparent stock market-wise that food monopolies have been outright lying as their financial statements are killing it. During the later half of the pandemic everything went up IMO because it was a convenient excuse where people were willing to pay more for everything and every company put up their prices because they could. Salaries didn't go up that much so most of it I'm convinced, was bull####. Add to that this carbon tax which I'm not sure what it truly is, and governments getting into the marketing game on this nonsense.

https://www.thestar.com/politics/fed...8fa42a8e2.html

I'm not a doomsday person but there are some really stupid things this government has done. It starts with housing and no matter Liberal or Conservative, I don't think anyone is looking out for the little guy with rocking the cart to get housing back to normal levels.
Its not the carbon tax.
The Following User Says Thank You to puffnstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2024, 07:48 PM   #19
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah it’s ridiculous. Groceries are out of control. Gas prices.

I’m sure the new 60k hbp will make it easier to get home, if anyone has been able to save up for that. Don’t forget you have to pay it back, with mortgage rates and home prices it will be almost impossible to have enough to pay that back and save.

But hey as long as oil company ceo, Galen Weston, and the big 5 banks can turn record profits and the ceos of those companies can eat who cares right?
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 07:51 PM   #20
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
It's going to take years/a solid decade to try to fix the affordability situation of housing and basic costs along with the sheer weight of adding a million+ people per year every year.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post: