Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2023, 10:03 AM   #6421
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
well those RE4 remake reviews have me freaking excited ... IGN gave it a 10/10 for example. Decided not to play the demo and not watch any trailers, just want to dive into it as blind as possible. Can't wait for next week.
Last time I played RE4 was when I bought it for Gamecube from Roger's Video like 2 decades ago. Have not touched it again in any form, whether it was the original, remake, updates, whatever.

I'm super stoked about this remake. I feel like I am blind going in since it's been so long. The RE2 was probably the best remake of ANY videogame I have ever played. Seems like this one will exceed that.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 03:20 PM   #6422
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Anyone else spend time with the Diablo 4 beta this weekend?

I was surprised by how much I liked it. It has sky rocketed to the top spot on the ol anticipation list.
I thought it was a return to form for Blizzard and Diablo, really enjoyed the gameplay and the massive amount of content that was available for a closed beta.

I only really played the rogue but had a great time crafting my own build based on the legendary items I got.

I can see myself sinking a lot of time into this one...Can't wait to try out the Druid this weekend.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 03:27 PM   #6423
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I played quite a bit as well, having capped a Rogue (ranged build) and a Sorc to about 22. What I did notice was that the Sorcerer was way easier to play (felt much stronger) than the Rogue did. The Sorcerer may need to be tuned to be more in line with the rest of the classes.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 10:37 PM   #6424
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

FYI, this'll be happening On Saturday at Eau Claire from 11-5.

I'll be there with a table. Keep an eye out for the guy who's grumpy by noon if all his old Nintendo stuff hasn't sold by then. And if you arrive before that time, keep an eye out for the guy who's irritated cause he never got his #### together and dug this stuff out of storage eight years ago and sold it online or made a Buy/Sell/Trade post or something so he didn't't have to be there at all.

So come on down, it will be fun, fun, FUN!
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2023, 11:02 PM   #6425
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Last time I played RE4 was when I bought it for Gamecube from Roger's Video like 2 decades ago. Have not touched it again in any form, whether it was the original, remake, updates, whatever.

I'm super stoked about this remake. I feel like I am blind going in since it's been so long. The RE2 was probably the best remake of ANY videogame I have ever played. Seems like this one will exceed that.
I played it on the Wii. I liked slashing and aiming with the Wii mote.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 12:04 AM   #6426
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

The first time I played RE4 was the VR version on the Quest 2. Fighting the bigger enemies was pretty wild in VR.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 01:18 AM   #6427
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
LOVE me some Civ, did some big games with friends the last few weekends but taking a break right now

Looking for stuff I don't really have to pay full attention too, but more importantly, if needed I can pause and walk away from every few minutes without being taken out of the action/having to re-orient myself with what's happening when sitting back down. City builders being the perfect definition but strategy like Civ or Crusader Kings definitely fit the bill too.

I love XCOM 2, one of my favourite games ever, but it doesn't quite scratch the itch I'm looking for since leaving mid mission and then coming back completely takes you out of the moment too much
Not sure if mentioned or if it's your style, but something like Flight Simulator is great for this. Super chill, can get up and do stuff while on autopilot, can choose length of flight to suit, etc. I do online ATC so I sit and monitor the radio channel while the plane does it's thing and I watch YouTube or work on the side.
Old 03-22-2023, 01:34 AM   #6428
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
Not sure if mentioned or if it's your style, but something like Flight Simulator is great for this. Super chill, can get up and do stuff while on autopilot, can choose length of flight to suit, etc. I do online ATC so I sit and monitor the radio channel while the plane does it's thing and I watch YouTube or work on the side.
It's actually funny you mention it because that's the game I've been playing the most the last few months, and finding an alternative was the point of me asking for suggestions

I do love flight sims. I say this to make fun of myself and not to brag, but between older Microsoft flight sims, Prepar3d, DCS and MSFS2020 I've easily spent over $3000 on add-ons and whatnot. MSFS2020 annoyed me when it first came out for how arcadey it was but in the last year or so it's really showed how much it's come along, and finally started to get some good third party aircraft. It's got a ways to go in some areas, but it's really headed in the right direction now. Really enjoying it

Do you play on Vatsim?

Last edited by btimbit; 03-22-2023 at 01:39 AM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 12:33 PM   #6429
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
It's actually funny you mention it because that's the game I've been playing the most the last few months, and finding an alternative was the point of me asking for suggestions

I do love flight sims. I say this to make fun of myself and not to brag, but between older Microsoft flight sims, Prepar3d, DCS and MSFS2020 I've easily spent over $3000 on add-ons and whatnot. MSFS2020 annoyed me when it first came out for how arcadey it was but in the last year or so it's really showed how much it's come along, and finally started to get some good third party aircraft. It's got a ways to go in some areas, but it's really headed in the right direction now. Really enjoying it

Do you play on Vatsim?
It's a rabbit hole for sure once you factor in hardware and add-ons. DCS I started to get into, but refuse to buy anything now in it as I couldn't dedicate the time needed to fully learn a plane, and then I'd forget it. So my casual gaming with DCS was basically re-learning 90% of the time. I bought MSFS2020 as I skipped P3D era, and never got into XPlane. You are right, it's come a long way, but the thing that keeps me interested is the world graphics. Sims prior to this had the airports down, but what do you do for the rest of the flight? Nothing to look at. Doing a mix of GA cross country flights and airliners.

I do utilize Vatsim often as a pilot and have signed up to start ATC training as well. Also fly for a virtual airline if doing airliner stuff, and also use OnAir Company for some career stuff in GA aircraft.

I've started looking into building my own cockpit panels, using cheap hardware off aliexpress, tying it into the sim with an arduino and software called Mobiflight.

Last edited by BlackArcher101; 03-22-2023 at 12:59 PM.
BlackArcher101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 12:54 PM   #6430
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So this is happening...

Looks like some old school maps are getting a pretty good facelift.
Old 03-22-2023, 02:06 PM   #6431
monkey brewery
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
FYI, this'll be happening On Saturday at Eau Claire from 11-5.

I'll be there with a table. Keep an eye out for the guy who's grumpy by noon if all his old Nintendo stuff hasn't sold by then. And if you arrive before that time, keep an eye out for the guy who's irritated cause he never got his #### together and dug this stuff out of storage eight years ago and sold it online or made a Buy/Sell/Trade post or something so he didn't't have to be there at all.

So come on down, it will be fun, fun, FUN!
lol.

Thanks, I was not aware this was a regular occurrence. I'll probably take my grandson down.

We were at eau clare before christmas for a similar event and found some great deals. He's into Nintendo switch but seems to have caught the retro bug lately.
monkey brewery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 03:22 PM   #6432
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey brewery View Post
lol.

Thanks, I was not aware this was a regular occurrence. I'll probably take my grandson down.

We were at eau clare before christmas for a similar event and found some great deals. He's into Nintendo switch but seems to have caught the retro bug lately.

I don't know how long they've been doing it. I vaguely recall attending one that was out of the back of people's cars at North Hill Mall during covid, or possibly even before that?

Based on the stuff I see people talking about on the Facebook group chat, there'll be retro stuff galore. 90% of my stuff is N64, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, Wii, WiiU, and DS/3DS - all consoles and games. I'm shocked how good of shape my console boxes are in. My OCD just shot up to lvl 95 (self-assessment.)
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 03:43 PM   #6433
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
It's a rabbit hole for sure once you factor in hardware and add-ons. DCS I started to get into, but refuse to buy anything now in it as I couldn't dedicate the time needed to fully learn a plane, and then I'd forget it. So my casual gaming with DCS was basically re-learning 90% of the time. I bought MSFS2020 as I skipped P3D era, and never got into XPlane. You are right, it's come a long way, but the thing that keeps me interested is the world graphics. Sims prior to this had the airports down, but what do you do for the rest of the flight? Nothing to look at. Doing a mix of GA cross country flights and airliners.

I do utilize Vatsim often as a pilot and have signed up to start ATC training as well. Also fly for a virtual airline if doing airliner stuff, and also use OnAir Company for some career stuff in GA aircraft.

I've started looking into building my own cockpit panels, using cheap hardware off aliexpress, tying it into the sim with an arduino and software called Mobiflight.
I still haven't taken the leap to vatsim myself but have always had the urge. Used OnAir in the past but prefer A Pilot's Life nowadays

Learning a new plane is the best part of DCS, haha. As soon as I have a plane down I move onto the next one and forget 60% of what I learned. I've really set DCS aside until the dynamic campaign is released though
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 07:27 AM   #6434
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Pre-ordered RE4, MLB The Show 23, Jedi: Survivor and EA PGA 23 all last night. Had only paid for the Show and PGA 2K23 this past year.

Skipped Madden and NHL for the first time ever.
Old 03-23-2023, 08:31 AM   #6435
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post
Skipped Madden and NHL for the first time ever.
I haven't bought NHL since EA Play/EA Access started. The only downside is the newest version isn't available until the playoffs start.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 09:08 AM   #6436
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have drastically reduced my rhythm when it comes to EA sports games. Madden 23 was my first one since Madden 20, and NHL22 was my first one since NHL18. It tells you everything about EA that I came away unimpressed in both cases, there's just so little development and improvement between those games that it's just not worth it buying that crap more often. Heck, I even feel dirty when I do decide to give EA money every three or four years.

Save the money, give it to charity, blow it on hookers and cocaine ... all better than giving it to EA.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2023, 10:28 AM   #6437
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

You could always just play NHL '94 on Genesis, but with updated rosters

Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2023, 11:46 AM   #6438
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I have drastically reduced my rhythm when it comes to EA sports games. Madden 23 was my first one since Madden 20, and NHL22 was my first one since NHL18. It tells you everything about EA that I came away unimpressed in both cases, there's just so little development and improvement between those games that it's just not worth it buying that crap more often. Heck, I even feel dirty when I do decide to give EA money every three or four years.

Save the money, give it to charity, blow it on hookers and cocaine ... all better than giving it to EA.
Only reason I bought NHL 22 was because it was the first Xbox Series-enhanced NHL title and the visuals were upgraded enough over NHL 21. However, I don't plan on buying another EA NHL game until they figure out how to ship a product that doesn't feel like a regression every year. The backlog for bugs in the NHL games must either be kilometres long, or one big "Won't fix" graveyard.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 12:38 PM   #6439
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I refuse to give my money to EA at this point. I'll usually play FIFA once it gets released on Gamepass, and even then I mod the hell out of it.

Sure as hell a far cry from when I used to buy Madden and FIFA every year on release date.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 01:06 PM   #6440
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Yeah, I refuse to give my money to EA at this point. I'll usually play FIFA once it gets released on Gamepass, and even then I mod the hell out of it.

Sure as hell a far cry from when I used to buy Madden and FIFA every year on release date.
I used to drive 3 hours round trip to a mom and pop store in the GTA that was always willing to break street date if you called ahead and then paid cash.