Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2023, 10:51 PM   #6341
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Le sigh. Lu Bu you go straight to hell
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 05:44 PM   #6342
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I just watched my 3-year old beat the first level of Rayman Legends by herself for the first time. It was very fun watching her try a part, fail, then figure out what to do on the next try to succeed. She even figured out the tilting puzzles to rescue the hidden teensie. Proud dad moment right there

And her 6-year old sister is legitimately good at that game, often when we play together I'll screw up a part that she nails and then revives me. Being the only gamer in my house growing up, it's nice to finally have some coop partners
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2023, 10:00 AM   #6343
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Le sigh. Lu Bu you go straight to hell
Someone described Lu Bu as the horse guy from Sekiro on cocaine, so I'm a little afraid of that when I get to that point. I haven't been able to play too much so far unfortunately. I'm only through 2 main missions and a couple subs.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 03:04 PM   #6344
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
Someone described Lu Bu as the horse guy from Sekiro on cocaine, so I'm a little afraid of that when I get to that point. I haven't been able to play too much so far unfortunately. I'm only through 2 main missions and a couple subs.
It will definitely make you reconsider how you play the game and force you to adjust your strategy. It’s one of my quibbles with Team Ninja games, the difficulty goes from a 5 out of 10 to a 70 out of 10 instantly and can bottleneck you for a while. They like to do it with random bosses in their games.

Very fun though, I think I’m near the endgame now and have hit a handful of those cheap boss moments. I’d say this is easier than Nioh since once you get the parrying and combat flow down you chew through almost all enemies instantly.

Except Lu Bu. Do not pursue Lu Bu.
Old 03-08-2023, 03:06 PM   #6345
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
It will definitely make you reconsider how you play the game and force you to adjust your strategy. It’s one of my quibbles with Team Ninja games, the difficulty goes from a 5 out of 10 to a 70 out of 10 instantly and can bottleneck you for a while. They like to do it with random bosses in their games.

Very fun though, I think I’m near the endgame now and have hit a handful of those cheap boss moments. I’d say this is easier than Nioh since once you get the parrying and combat flow down you chew through almost all enemies instantly.

Except Lu Bu. Do not pursue Lu Bu.
I learned that as a kid with the first Dynasty Warriors game
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2023, 11:19 PM   #6346
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2023, 01:38 PM   #6347
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I picked up Brotato on a whim, and it has been great.

If you liked Vampire Survivors, this one is similar and also quite fun! Recommend.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 10:19 PM   #6348
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have the following gifts in my Steam library:

Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2..._Super_Heroes/

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2...Directors_Cut/

Anyone want them?
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 11:06 PM   #6349
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I finally got my build complete for my all-in-one emulation mini-PC. I spent far too much time screwing around with Retroarch shaders and Launch Box themes, but I really like the final product

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2023, 09:35 AM   #6350
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Wo Long was alright but I’m kind of disappointed. It felt like a shorter and less polished Nioh 2 with a parry mechanic tacked on. Lots of bugs, lots of poor design and UI choices, awful battle and travel system that forces you back to a hub every time instead of the map, all ending with what’s a solid C+ game. Decent with a lot of good ideas crammed in but none truly executed well.
Old 03-13-2023, 01:46 PM   #6351
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Been playing around with Hogwarts Legacy and it's.. ok. It starts out feeling very Hogwarts-y. Great atmosphere, things look cool, lots of details in places..

But once you get into it it really starts to fall off in terms of diversity. Stuff all just feels the same. Not that many different kinds of spells, or different kinds of ingredients, or kinds of potions, etc. Shallow maybe?

The combat is pretty cool, some complain that it's too simple but it's probably just right for me with the different protection types you have to break through. Of course you can cheese things pretty hard so you could say it's too easy. I mean just picking up a big thing with a spell and dropping it on someone while invisible is pretty big damage.

It is subject to similar open world repeatability issues common to those kinds of games.

Overall I'd say playwise it compares a lot to a LEGO game. A few major skills used in different ways to unlock puzzles, tons of collectables, go back to areas when you unlock something to get more collectables...

That said I loved the LEGO games and I'm still enjoying this, but I don't feel a lot of motivation to get better gear or work on better casting combinations.

EDIT: One big thing that I forgot to mention is that there's ZERO morality system in the game. The game actually encourages you to just break into people's homes to get collectables to upgrade your spells to break into more homes. Steal their money, open their chests. Cast all the unforgivable curses you like and no one cares.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2023, 01:16 PM   #6352
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Diablo IV open beta is March 24 - 27 (or March 17 - 20 for early access). Looking forward to it, I lost interest in D3 once I got into the paragon levels, but still was lots of fun.
Old 03-14-2023, 01:29 PM   #6353
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hopefully it will be good, I haven't found a satisfying ARPG since Grim Dawn...love the complexity of the builds and items in that game, as well as the mods!
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 03:35 PM   #6354
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I finally got my build complete for my all-in-one emulation mini-PC. I spent far too much time screwing around with Retroarch shaders and Launch Box themes, but I really like the final product

Would you mind sharing this build? I've tried this on and off for years but I always break down with trying to manhandle Retroarch and all the complexity.

Did you find some good overlays and CRT shaders?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 04:03 PM   #6355
Toast_Man
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I thought I would share this..

Favorite completed games of 2022:
1. Citizen Sleeper
2. Case of the Golden Idol
3. Marvel Snap
4. Powerwash Simulator
5. Vampire Survivors
6. Pentiment
7. Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands
8. Norco
9. Somerville
10. DORFROMANTIK

Started but never finished:
Elden Ring, Tunic, Nobody Saves the World, Return to Monkey Island, Warhammer 40k Darktide

I want to eventually try:
God of War Ragnorak, Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Cult of the Lamb, Pokemon Legends: Arceus, Pokemon Scarlett/violet, Horizon Forbidden West
Toast_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toast_Man For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2023, 04:33 PM   #6356
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Would you mind sharing this build? I've tried this on and off for years but I always break down with trying to manhandle Retroarch and all the complexity.

Did you find some good overlays and CRT shaders?
Well for LaunchBox I couldn't find any BigBox themes I liked for everything so I combined a few

- BarTop Theme (https://forums.launchbox-app.com/top...-bartop-theme/) for the main platform view, using Viking Nostalgia platform videos (download within LaunchBox)
- Slipstream Theme for the game views (https://forums.launchbox-app.com/fil...pstream-theme/)

I use Retroarch for running everything except PS2, GameCube, and Dolphin. And for the overlays I use their new-ish feature called Mega Bezels. This explains how to set it up:

https://forums.libretro.com/t/mega-b...-updates/25512

Once you follow those steps and get it working, you can download the Duimon Mega Bezel pack which has all of those console specific overlays

https://github.com/Duimon/Duimon-Mega-Bezel/releases/

At that point it's just loading each system core you're using, setting the bezel preset you want, then saving it as a core preset, so any game you load using that core will automatically load the bezel as well
Old 03-15-2023, 08:00 AM   #6357
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast_Man View Post
I thought I would share this..

Favorite completed games of 2022:
1. Citizen Sleeper
2. Case of the Golden Idol
3. Marvel Snap
4. Powerwash Simulator
5. Vampire Survivors
6. Pentiment
7. Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands
8. Norco
9. Somerville
10. DORFROMANTIK

Started but never finished:
Elden Ring, Tunic, Nobody Saves the World, Return to Monkey Island, Warhammer 40k Darktide

I want to eventually try:
God of War Ragnorak, Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Cult of the Lamb, Pokemon Legends: Arceus, Pokemon Scarlett/violet, Horizon Forbidden West
Literally the only title on here that I have tried is Tunic. I loved the style and art, I loved the Zelda-y gameplay, but damn it was it hard to really stay invested since it was a bit of a trick to figure out where the hell you’re supposed to be going. Maybe that’s part of the appeal, that you keep exploring. I’ll have to pick it up again.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 10:35 AM   #6358
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finished Atomic Heart. It's not a great game at retail pricing but a pretty good game free on Gamepass. There are some issues with this game in regards to the protagonist dialogue being overly juvenile as they went for a BJ Blazkowicz kind of character but he's not as funny and it just doesn't work. That said the game is pretty fun and the graphics are extremely impressive for a small studio. If you can get by the bad dialogue, the story actually isn't bad especially near the end of the game. I wouldn't recommend buying this at anything other than the discount pile but if you like sci-fi FPS games and you have Gamepass it's worth a try.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2023, 12:10 PM   #6359
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Currently house sitting, so brought my Switch aaaand my SNES mini.

Two weeks, so lets play through Super Mario RPG and FF6! And FFX. I hate FFX, but I still haven't beaten that stupid ####ing Chocobo Race in my life and it will not beat me!

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 01:13 PM   #6360
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Finished Atomic Heart. It's not a great game at retail pricing but a pretty good game free on Gamepass. There are some issues with this game in regards to the protagonist dialogue being overly juvenile as they went for a BJ Blazkowicz kind of character but he's not as funny and it just doesn't work. That said the game is pretty fun and the graphics are extremely impressive for a small studio. If you can get by the bad dialogue, the story actually isn't bad especially near the end of the game. I wouldn't recommend buying this at anything other than the discount pile but if you like sci-fi FPS games and you have Gamepass it's worth a try.
It's a shame that it ended up being rushed out because of the war, I think they could have had something good there.

I sadly think Stalker 2 is suffering the same fate. It does not look good, but it's not hard to see why when they've lost a few devs to fighting
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote