Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-19-2023, 09:00 PM   #6201
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets
 
Hemi-Cuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: slightly to the left
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
How could you have any idea when you barely went past the prologue?

I actually thought the same thing originally and gave up. Gave it a shot again months later and decided by the time it was done that it was one of the best games I had ever played. Itís a lot of set up, but once it gets going itís incredible. You didnít even scratch the surface of what the game is.
I read the wiki to see if the plot actually starts to make sense and would warrant a re-try. I'm confident in my decision to never touch it again
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 10:52 PM   #6202
ComixZone
Franchise Player
 
ComixZone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Exp:
Default

After being pretty disappointed in God of War Ragnarok and then way more disappointed in Horizon Forbidden West, I’m now well on my way through The Last of Us Part I (PS5). I played the original on PS3, and have the platinum on Last of Us Part II - so I’m familiar enough with the first game and the franchise as a whole - and this PS5 version is fantastic. Everything holds up really well. The encounters are still super tense, the story is as strong as ever.

That’s just a damn fine video game.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2023, 11:15 PM   #6203
btimbit
Franchise Player
 
btimbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SW Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
After being pretty disappointed in God of War Ragnarok and then way more disappointed in Horizon Forbidden West, I’m now well on my way through The Last of Us Part I (PS5). I played the original on PS3, and have the platinum on Last of Us Part II - so I’m familiar enough with the first game and the franchise as a whole - and this PS5 version is fantastic. Everything holds up really well. The encounters are still super tense, the story is as strong as ever.

That’s just a damn fine video game.
Coming to PC as well on March 3, I can't wait to do it all again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I read the wiki to see if the plot actually starts to make sense and would warrant a re-try. I'm confident in my decision to never touch it again
You definitely have to be down with Kojima weirdness. I was on board for the Metal Gear Solid series, hell MGS 3 is definitely in my top 5 of all time. But even that series had lost me at the end.

Death Stranding, I just couldn't do. A little too much Kojima for my tastes

Last edited by btimbit; 01-19-2023 at 11:20 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 06:47 AM   #6204
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player
 
Erick Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Fernando Valley
Exp:
Default

MGS 3 is by far my most favorite Kojima game. I haven't played it in ages but the sniper boss battle is one of my all time great video game memories. When Kojima is on his games are amazing. When he crosses the line from weird to utterly bizarre it can be a turnoff for a lot of gamers.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 07:14 AM   #6205
bax
#1 Goaltender
 
bax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
After being pretty disappointed in God of War Ragnarok and then way more disappointed in Horizon Forbidden West, Iím now well on my way through The Last of Us Part I (PS5). I played the original on PS3, and have the platinum on Last of Us Part II - so Iím familiar enough with the first game and the franchise as a whole - and this PS5 version is fantastic. Everything holds up really well. The encounters are still super tense, the story is as strong as ever.

Thatís just a damn fine video game.

Iíve been thinking of picking it up and playing along with the show each week. I think if I can find a sale Iíll have to do it. I havenít played the original since before part 2 released.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 09:01 AM   #6206
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player
 
OutOfTheCube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Exp:
Default

Death Stranding got a lot more interesting gameplay-wise the further you got into it, but the story became even more and more nonsense. Kojima's stuff really doesn't do anything for me anymore.

But I also wouldn't say people who like it have 'bad taste' lol. I'd rather have more Death Stranding's in the game world trying something weird and different than Assassins' Creed twelfth same-y game in fifteen years and Call of Duty 20 and The Last of Us remake of a modern game.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 09:35 AM   #6207
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant
 
PepsiFree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I read the wiki to see if the plot actually starts to make sense and would warrant a re-try. I'm confident in my decision to never touch it again
Which is totally fine. Iím not saying ďtry it! youíll like it!Ē but just pointing out that you did not experience enough of the game to begin to understand why people really love it, so why would you expect to? Itís not for everyone, but itís a beautiful, weird, and enjoyable game to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Death Stranding got a lot more interesting gameplay-wise the further you got into it, but the story became even more and more nonsense. Kojima's stuff really doesn't do anything for me anymore.

But I also wouldn't say people who like it have 'bad taste' lol. I'd rather have more Death Stranding's in the game world trying something weird and different than Assassins' Creed twelfth same-y game in fifteen years and Call of Duty 20 and The Last of Us remake of a modern game.
Totally. You can play the 3rd? new release of the same Last of Us game, or the latest re-skin of Assassins Creed (both great choices if thatís what youíre into!) but Death Stranding is unique and trying to do something original while being a big budget title, which is cool whether youíre into it or not.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 10:06 AM   #6208
GreenLantern
One of the Nine
 
GreenLantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Space Sector 2814
Exp:
Default

The Tactics Ogre remake has been great. I'm about 10 hours in so far and loving it. The random cards in battle are a little weird.. but that is my only gripe so far.
__________________
"In brightest day, in blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power, Green Lantern's light!"
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2023, 04:45 PM   #6209
devo22
Franchise Player
 
devo22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Austria, NOT Australia
Exp:
Default

I'm only about halfway through or so, but I'm enjoying Death Stranding so far. It's objectively weird (and that's an understatement), but once you settle in, it can be a ton of fun. I fully get this is not for everyone, but I love a game that isn't shy to stray from the path.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2023, 10:39 PM   #6210
chemgear
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Exp:
Default

I really enjoyed this game.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1616554886136754176
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 11:57 PM   #6211
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre
 
Sr. Mints's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Exp:
Default

Why you folks disappointed in Ragnarok?

I'm enjoying it more than the 2018 game so far, but I'm only 15 hours into it and that could change

I'm torn on the red/yellow/blue combat timing circles, mainly because it puts a crimp in my button mashing style.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 09:02 AM   #6212
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player
 
Erick Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Fernando Valley
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Why you folks disappointed in Ragnarok?

I'm enjoying it more than the 2018 game so far, but I'm only 15 hours into it and that could change

I'm torn on the red/yellow/blue combat timing circles, mainly because it puts a crimp in my button mashing style.
I wasn't disappointed. I didn't love the last game as much as other people due to the restrictive nature of the game that is at its core is a story driven repetitive corridor combat game. Since this game is more or less the same it's not going to be a game I consider an all time great, but it's a very polished, high quality game, and the story and voice acting is fantastic. My 2nd favorite game of 2022 behind Eldon Ring which to me is a special game like the Witcher 3.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 09:43 AM   #6213
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player
 
OutOfTheCube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I wasn't disappointed. I didn't love the last game as much as other people due to the restrictive nature of the game that is at its core is a story driven repetitive corridor combat game. Since this game is more or less the same it's not going to be a game I consider an all time great, but it's a very polished, high quality game, and the story and voice acting is fantastic. My 2nd favorite game of 2022 behind Eldon Ring which to me is a special game like the Witcher 3.
Yeah, similar to the 2018 game I found it amazing and fun for the first 15 hours, then started to get a bit repetitive and boring for hours 15-20. The big difference being, at hour 20 you were finished God of War 2018. Ragnarok just keeps going and going and going...
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 10:52 AM   #6214
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player
 
Erick Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Fernando Valley
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Yeah, similar to the 2018 game I found it amazing and fun for the first 15 hours, then started to get a bit repetitive and boring for hours 15-20. The big difference being, at hour 20 you were finished God of War 2018. Ragnarok just keeps going and going and going...
I agree but since there's a dearth of quality games available these days I didn't mind the extra hours of grinding.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 11:47 AM   #6215
The Yen Man
Franchise Player
 
The Yen Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Forspoken is just getting thrashed in their reviews. It's too bad because game looked pretty promising when they first announced it. The story is a bit generic, but I love isekais, and thought this would be pretty fun. I cancelled my pre-order after playing the demo. I'll still probably play it once it hits the bargain bin.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 01:25 PM   #6216
Inferno
Franchise Player
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The Pas, MB
Exp:
Default

I tried for the Forspoken demo when it first came out after The Game Awards and got bored of it pretty quick.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 02:51 PM   #6217
chemgear
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Exp:
Default

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2023, 04:54 PM   #6218
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre
 
Sr. Mints's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Exp:
Default

What is happening to Toys R Us, are they abandoning the video game market?

I had an appointment in the NE, so I stopped at toys R Us. Their whole video game "R Zone" is gone, much of it was replaced with funkos. The only video games they are selling are discounted older games

I see they are now owned by Sunrise Records (who at some point must have purchased it from Fairfax Financial who scooped it up after Toys R Us parent company filed for chapter 11

Anyway, I snapped a picture to send to a friend. That place is depressing AF now
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 04:58 PM   #6219
dino7c
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
What is happening to Toys R Us, are they abandoning the video game market?

I had an appointment in the NE, so I stopped at toys R Us. Their whole video game "R Zone" is gone, much of it was replaced with funkos. The only video games they are selling are discounted older games

I see they are now owned by Sunrise Records (who at some point must have purchased it from Fairfax Financial who scooped it up after Toys R Us parent company filed for chapter 11

Anyway, I snapped a picture to send to a friend. That place is depressing AF now
gamepass, digital sales, amazon, "free" 2 play

I try to get the kids excited about buying the latest game but they want fake money for some imaginary thing in the game they have been playing "free" for 2 years
__________________
GFG
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2023, 09:48 PM   #6220
TorqueDog
Franchise Player
 
TorqueDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary - Centre West
Exp:
Default

Toys 'R' Us went from being this magical place I remember as a kid to... wow. That's depressing.
__________________
-James
GO
FLAMES GO.

How to immensely improve the CalgaryPuck experience, click below:

TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:15 PM.

Calgary Flames
2022-23




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021