Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2021, 10:01 PM   #4661
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
If I never played Elder Scrolls, can I just jump into VI?

This feels like a game for me, but I never jumped onto the bandwagon then I felt like if I joined late I'd be such a noob.
Probably. They’re not hard games to get in to.

Try Skyrim. It’s a lot of fun and free on Gamepass, along with Oblivion and Morrowind.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2021, 07:13 AM   #4662
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah there should be no issue jumping into any Elder Scrolls game.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 07:52 AM   #4663
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
It's so disappointing what they did to the GTA trilogy

I'd be so happy just to get to play them as they were originally released on my Switch, but instead it's a complete mess and unplayable
I can't speak for other systems, but San Andreas seems to work fine on my XB1. Gamepass released it recently (not sure if the rest of the trilogy follows?) and it's still hilarious in it's own way.

Obviously would have loved some revamped graphics and other gameplay mechanics instead of a crappy paint coat. But the awkwardness and crazy physics are what made it so fun back in the day. I'm having a blast with it.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 09:41 AM   #4664
Jay's Beagle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I remember when I last got really excited about a Rockstar game release.

It was the Xbox 360 version of GTA V. I bounded home from work with a hop in my step because I couldn't wait to start playing. Before that, it was GTA IV, having purchased it during lunch that day from Future Shop, gleefully ripping open the jewel case's cellophane with my teeth before plopping down on the couch for a very, very long evening of exploring Liberty City.

Rockstar hasn't come close since. RDR2 doesn't do it for me like the GTA series does, I've been playing GTA since the original DOS game where I was still a broke-ass kid so we used to pirate the game between each other.
Couldnt have said it better. To add to it, I remember lying to my mom about GTA 3 as I was still in Junior High or High school and that I should have it. Since then I remember when Vice City came out on or around Halloween and playing it to death.

I miss a good GTA single player campaign as well. I am really hoping the idea of more than one city that you either have to fly to or a long drive to would be amazing. But all in all I just want more single player Rockstar games.
Jay's Beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 09:46 AM   #4665
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

The main reason I stopped being excited for Rockstar games is that they barely make any anymore. In the last 10 years we've had LA Noire, Max Payne 3, GTA V, and RDR2. And only RDR2 was in the last 5 years.

I get online stuff is where they make their money but I have absolutely no interest in that. Will be over a decade between titles by the time we get a new GTA
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2021, 10:05 AM   #4666
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
The main reason I stopped being excited for Rockstar games is that they barely make any anymore. In the last 10 years we've had LA Noire, Max Payne 3, GTA V, and RDR2. And only RDR2 was in the last 5 years.

I get online stuff is where they make their money but I have absolutely no interest in that. Will be over a decade between titles by the time we get a new GTA
It is crazy that the PS2 had 3 GTA games, PS3 had 2 and PS4/PS5 have none other than remastered versions of GTA5.

I am with you on the online stuff. Not of interest to me and I stopped playing RDR2 once I passed the story and got sick of the post game play.

GTA5 was an unbelievable game and I want a new story with new characters for the new generation.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 10:15 AM   #4667
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
If I never played Elder Scrolls, can I just jump into VI?

This feels like a game for me, but I never jumped onto the bandwagon then I felt like if I joined late I'd be such a noob.
Yes. There's on very very very loose mentions of Oblivion in Skyrim. I can only think of two and they're both extremely minor.

Each game is usually set hundreds of years apart and has their own unique story within the universe.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2021, 10:25 AM   #4668
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I still get excited if they announce a new game but that happens so infrequently that they are out of sight and out of mind most of the time. That said you can't accuse them of mailing in new games annually that are old games with a fresh coat of paint like COD, FC, or AC.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 10:56 AM   #4669
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I still get excited if they announce a new game but that happens so infrequently that they are out of sight and out of mind most of the time. That said you can't accuse them of mailing in new games annually that are old games with a fresh coat of paint like COD, FC, or AC.
Definitely, and I appreciate that for sure. It's just that you see them pumping out new content in GTA Online instead that bugs me
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 11:02 AM   #4670
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope I'm wrong but I don't really see a future where they don't just keep evolving GTA as more of a GaaS type of game.

Grand Theft Auto Online has made them way too much money to move away from that type of game now.

Maybe they release a single player focused story, but really in terms of making money just continuing to invest and add to GTA Online is probably the most profitable thing for them.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 12:52 PM   #4671
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm actually playing through LA Noire on my X1X. Such a great concept, I'm having a lot of fun with it. Annoying that it won't run properly on a modern PC. I tried everything to get my Steam purchased version to work, no dice and ended up getting a refund.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 03:11 PM   #4672
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone ever look at their old stuff and consider selling it? I went through my GBA and DS games last night, and probably have close to $2000 in stuff. Then I thought, well, if it has gone up this much, maybe it'll go up more! I have no idea when a peak selling window is. I was just checking prices here:

https://www.pricecharting.com/console/nintendo-ds

And I do have a few gems.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 09:26 AM   #4673
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Anyone ever look at their old stuff and consider selling it? I went through my GBA and DS games last night, and probably have close to $2000 in stuff. Then I thought, well, if it has gone up this much, maybe it'll go up more! I have no idea when a peak selling window is. I was just checking prices here:

https://www.pricecharting.com/console/nintendo-ds

And I do have a few gems.
Retro videogames have gone up a fair bit over the last few years and I think they will continue to go up slowly over time. Sometimes prices will go down but for the desirable, collectable gems they will more likely continue to rise in value. I have quite an extensive collection myself and have pondered selling but I'm trying to think of it more as a long term investment that I can enjoy in the meantime.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2021, 10:10 AM   #4674
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, just trying to decide if any big further gains will ever show up, or if it's worth reclaiming space...I should probably offload the Colecovision and Atari cartridges that are worth anything, they probably aren't going to gain much more value. Haven't actually looked thorugh what I have in years, though.
Old 11-19-2021, 10:15 AM   #4675
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.pricecharting.com/game/g...t-video-cables

My cables are worth $200? Wow.
Old 11-19-2021, 11:57 AM   #4676
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
They have been worth a bunch for a long time, I don't think there are any mods for gamecube so technically they are the best way to play Gamecube on real hardware.

The most expensive game in my collection is Action 52 for NES at $583, I'm not collecting rare games just for the sake of collecting them, I only collect games with nostalgia to me ( Besides Action52 I got it for $150 so couldn't turn it down)
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2021, 12:39 PM   #4677
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

A few of the Castlevania DS games are around $150. I have a NIB GBA SP that seems to go on Ebay for $350-500. That's probably my most valuable.
Old 11-19-2021, 01:42 PM   #4678
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Ya, just trying to decide if any big further gains will ever show up, or if it's worth reclaiming space...I should probably offload the Colecovision and Atari cartridges that are worth anything, they probably aren't going to gain much more value. Haven't actually looked thorugh what I have in years, though.
It appears that there's a window where a console and it's games hit peak nostalgia for people getting old enough to relive their childhood. In the last couple years the Gamecube/PS2/Xbox generation has seen big increases. Eventually it'll move on to the Wii/PS3/360 generation.

I'd say sell if you're wanting to clear up space, because that window will continue to move and there's no guarantee the older stuff will hold that value. There will always be exceptions (cult classics and timeless classics won't lose value) but your average game will probably depreciate after the window is past.

I've tracked my collection's pricing for a long time, both for personal reference and for insurance purposes. My SNES games are generally going down in price lately, but my GBA games are through the roof lately.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2021, 02:23 PM   #4679
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I bought Guardians of the Galaxy (BestBuy), Resident Evil Village (digital), and Dark Souls III (digital) with Black Friday deals today. Don't have a ton of time for games but felt like picking up a few new things.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 02:38 PM   #4680
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've picked up Guardians of the Galaxy (Amazon) and Riders Republic (PSN Digital).

Excited to give both games a shot.

If you need to extend your PS Plus it's a great price at $47 too. Might actually buy a second year too because generally the price just always goes up, might as well lock in.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote