Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-03-2022, 03:23 PM   #341
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post

40% increase in production and leads the AHL? Ya, a pick will materialize.
Maybe if you put it on your dream board
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 03:24 PM   #342
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Having already passed through waivers might make him more valuable. Not a lot more, but more. It's easier for a team to asses him if they can place them on their minor league roster and use the 30 day exemption to try him out on the main roster.
Old 12-03-2022, 03:25 PM   #343
Yikes
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Any team in the league has had multiple chances to have him for free....
Every team had a chance at JG at the draft as well, where was Fleury drafted? St. Louis? Savard? Mullen? I know for a fact I can eat an apple off of Fleury's head. He might be 5'6".
Yikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 03:27 PM   #344
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
What's that supposed to mean? A guy who has never been given a legit NHL shot should never get a legit NHL shot because... he's a tweener? How exactly can we be sure he's a tweener if he hasn't been given a real chance to show he's more than that?
No ...

Guys that appear to be the very best at the AHL level don't always translate into the same role at the NHL level.

It's happened forever.

It's certainly possible that the Flames are just big meanies and the kid is a legit NHL player being held back, but don't you think the other 31 teams have less mean guys that have watched their own AHL teams and scouted the Flames farm club yet refused to claim him when he was available might be thinking the same way?
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 03:27 PM   #345
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
I think you can probably get some kind of pick for him rather than waste the asset yep.

Last season 1.05 pts/game

This season 1.47 pts/game.

40% increase in production and leads the AHL? Ya, a pick will materialize.
So teams are going to take the sample size of 11 November AHL games and now trade for an asset they could have had for free?
Old 12-03-2022, 03:28 PM   #346
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yikes View Post
Every team had a chance at JG at the draft as well, where was Fleury drafted? St. Louis? Savard? Mullen? I know for a fact I can eat an apple off of Fleury's head. He might be 5'6".
He was talking about waivers not the draft.

When a guy is 24 there is a lot less mystery than an 18 year old going 170th overall.
Old 12-03-2022, 03:32 PM   #347
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Me since his first prospect camp

Old 12-03-2022, 03:33 PM   #348
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
No ...

Guys that appear to be the very best at the AHL level don't always translate into the same role at the NHL level.

It's happened forever.

It's certainly possible that the Flames are just big meanies and the kid is a legit NHL player being held back, but don't you think the other 31 teams have less mean guys that have watched their own AHL teams and scouted the Flames farm club yet refused to claim him when he was available might be thinking the same way?
Between training camp and now, it appears that Phillips has taken a step forward. His production is up from last season.

Of course the NHL is exponentially harder than the AHL. I'm just saying that should not in and of itself be justification for never giving guys legit NHL shots.
Old 12-03-2022, 03:39 PM   #349
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
No ...

It's happened forever.

While I agree with you. There's always part of me that knows our record the last 30yrs and wonders if we pulled an "Opposite George" would the franchise be better off than what we've experienced? It can always get worse of course, but what legacy are we really clinging here too the last few decades?
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 03:39 PM   #350
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
Between training camp and now, it appears that Phillips has taken a step forward. His production is up from last season.

Of course the NHL is exponentially harder than the AHL. I'm just saying that should not in and of itself be justification for never giving guys legit NHL shots.
I've said about a half dozen times today that I hope he gets a look.

Just don't see the spot available right now, and don't see a trashing of the fourth line as a justified angle to see kids promoted.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2022, 03:41 PM   #351
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
So teams are going to take the sample size of 11 November AHL games and now trade for an asset they could have had for free?
Fair enough man. They should just leave him in the NHL and we can continue to watch the team struggle to score and float around. Nothing can be done.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 03:41 PM   #352
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
While I agree with you. There's always part of me that knows our record the last 30yrs and wonders if we pulled an "Opposite George" would the franchise be better off than what we've experienced? It can always get worse of course, but what legacy are we really clinging here too the last few decades?
Is what it is.

I don't put a lot of stock in 30 year history with the changing economic climate, ownership group, GMs, coaches and players.

It's not the long game.

You hope you make good calls on the tweeners as it's embarrassing when you mess up and a Martin St. Louis emerges.

But you can't just always call up the top three scorers on your AHL team and not have NHL veteran depth around because you're living in fear.
Old 12-03-2022, 03:42 PM   #353
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:

Just don't see the spot available right now, and don't see a trashing of the fourth line as a justified angle to see kids promoted.
And people have replied a dozen times today that you send a 3 or 4 liner down and shift bodies down to give an audition on line 2.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 03:43 PM   #354
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Fair enough man. They should just leave him in the NHL and we can continue to watch the team struggle to score and float around. Nothing can be done.
Yeah that's exactly what I'm saying.

Pretty shrewd of you for picking up on it.

All is lost.
Old 12-03-2022, 03:44 PM   #355
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

I agree with Bingo. I’m a massive Phillips fan, trained with him from before he was even drafted by the flames, and want him to get a shot more than anyone. But I think a top 9er needs to get injured before it’s worth calling him up. I wouldn’t put him in the lineup over Huberdeau, Lindholm, Kadri, Toffoli, Mangiapane, Backlund, Coleman or Dube. And Ruzicka has been performing well so I’d rather him in the lineup for now at least. And I think it makes the most sense for the 4th line to be Lucic/Lewis/Rooney/Ritchie type guys.

However, if someone in the top 9 is injured, Phillips 10000% deserves the call and I would be very upset with management/coaching if lucic/Lewis/Rooney/ritchie got promoted before a Phillips call up
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to savardandjokinen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2022, 03:44 PM   #356
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The justification for the callup has nothing to do with the "thrashing" of the 4th line. Those are two completely separate topics.

I've already talked at length about the reasons why it's time for a Phillips call up.

But the question does get raised about who comes out of the lineup so that there's a spot for Phillips on the roster. To me the answer is clear - Lucic comes out of the lineup, someone like Coleman or Dube gets bumped down to the 4th line to improve the quality of that line, then someone from the top 6 (Mangiapane) gets moved to Backlund's line, and Phillips gets a shot in the top 6.
Old 12-03-2022, 03:46 PM   #357
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
And people have replied a dozen times today that you send a 3 or 4 liner down and shift bodies down to give an audition on line 2.
Who then?

I know you hate Coleman, but that's not going to happen.

I didn't mind someone's Ruzicka to the fourth line idea, that has some merit. He's been spotty.
Old 12-03-2022, 03:50 PM   #358
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ruzicka is the team’s best forward so far this year.
Old 12-03-2022, 03:50 PM   #359
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

The advantages in bringing Phillips up are:

1. If he is even moderately successful, we will never have to pay him that huge salary, and therefore end up getting more bang for our buck e.g. Byron

2. It gives the fans something to cheer for. when we are a mediocre team (or play like one) e.g Fleury

3. It gives our prospects more hope that they will eventually be given a chance to come up, e.g. Zary, Pelletier, Wolf.

4. It is decent and fair to Phillips, for all the effort he has put in to be successful

Last edited by flamesfever; 12-03-2022 at 04:38 PM.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesfever For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2022, 03:51 PM   #360
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Which is of course only a poor reflection on Sutter, ultimately.
Sutter doesnt make roster moves between the farm and the big club though, thats the GM's call. Obviously they talk and kick ideas around but ultimately, its BT's decision.