Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2022, 12:35 PM   #121
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I definitely had the over on how long it would take for the fans to start to turn on Sutter
And on a season with an almost complete change to the core the likes of which has probably never been seen before. No one knew how long it would take for the team to get going but apparently 20 games was the cut off for most fans. I get people want to see Phillips but Sutter doesn't seem to be the type to make drastic reactionary changes 20ish games in for better or worse. If not playing Phillips gets the best coach this franchise has had since the 80s fired then this franchise is really in trouble. I'd like to see some kids brought in for a try too but let's not over react. Same way Tampa didn't fire Cooper after being swept by Columbus.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burning Beard For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2022, 12:37 PM   #122
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

?

Who are you talking to?

Literally nobody has said he should be fired.

Phillips should be in the NHL right now. Like, recalled today after last nights dog#### game.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2022, 12:38 PM   #123
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Phillips would be more conducive to what this team needs to win games than what lucic and lewis have brought for weeks now

want to give this team it's best shot to succeed?? inject more ****ing skill into it

being big and tough through our depth has done little to create wins on the ice lately , except for Ritchie's magic shot .. but that's cause he's the one big guy getting rubber at the net
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 12:38 PM   #124
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

A few posters have said Sutter should be fired to be fair
Old 12-02-2022, 12:38 PM   #125
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

The Flames have a significant skill deficiency. Phillips might not be all that, but he probably wouldn't trip on the puck on a breakaway.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2022, 12:41 PM   #126
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
The Flames have a significant skill deficiency. Phillips might not be all that, but he probably wouldn't trip on the puck on a breakaway.
With the luck this club is having? Didn't he also miss an open net tap in his one game on the big team or am I remembering that wrong?

I would love if he came in and played great but am not convinced this is the major issue it's being made out to be.
Old 12-02-2022, 12:42 PM   #127
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
A few posters have said Sutter should be fired to be fair
that is not the topic at hand here though nor has anybody in this specific debate suggested it

Darryl admitting his likelihood in being wrong about Phillips would suffice .. mp needs to see nhl time if this team is at all about merit and earning chances

Darryl is going against his own logic and what he claims he stands for by denying this kid
Old 12-02-2022, 12:42 PM   #128
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
?

Who are you talking to?

Literally nobody has said he should be fired.

Phillips should be in the NHL right now. Like, recalled today after last nights dog#### game.
I'm not going back through all the posts but it has been said. Feel free to look yourself.
Old 12-02-2022, 12:43 PM   #129
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
With the luck this club is having? Didn't he also miss an open net tap in his one game on the big team or am I remembering that wrong?

I would love if he came in and played great but am not convinced this is the major issue it's being made out to be.
He's the leading scorer in the AHL, and a homegrown draft pick to boot. He has earned more than a one-game NHL tryout.

Established NHLers miss tap-ins every game. The problem with Lucic et al is that they *only* miss.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2022, 12:45 PM   #130
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
He's the leading scorer in the AHL, and a homegrown draft pick to boot. He has earned more than a one-game NHL tryout.
Not disagreeing with that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Burning Beard For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2022, 12:48 PM   #131
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

My issue with Sutter on this statement is that he's not willing to accept the level of effort that Phillips plays with. He's small, but he goes to hard areas and he works his ass off. Can't say the same thing about a number of middle 6 players currently in the NHL line up for Calgary.

Personally, I'd call him up and put him on Kadri's line in place of Dube. Lucic to the press box, Dube to Backlund's line and Ruzicka on the 4th line. You rotate Dube and Ruzicka with Backlund for all I care. But Phillips gives a #### and works hard. I don't understand how Sutter doesn't recognize that.

Cole Caufield beat your lazy uninspired team Darryl. Wake up.
Old 12-02-2022, 12:50 PM   #132
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think that Phillips, Zary or Pelletier is going to turn this team around, but I don't think it would hurt to give him a good look, or at least try and move him for someone sutter might trust.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2022, 12:55 PM   #133
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I said there probably should be a thread but I’m not going to start it. I think there is a debate. The thing is at the end of the day it’s always easier to change one person than a whole team. If they could trade Huberdeau and others for players that would work better in Sutters style then that would be great. But I think that ship has passed and you’d only get pennies on the dollar for that. You’d just get some mediocre assets back and that is without going into all the NTC and NMC that exist. I’d just be happy if Sutter would show signs of adjusting. Hopefully at least Vladar should be the starter going forward so that’s something.

If they are not going to bring up Phillips then bring up Pelletier or Zary. This is an area where I think the club is hurting their ability to sign draft picks going forward. I’m of the belief this is going to turn Coronato into Fox2.0. There is a clear lack of meritocracy going on here. They don’t have top end talent that’s firing right now so I think their best option is to try and roll 4 lines. That means getting Lucic and Lewis out of the lineup.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 12:58 PM   #134
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Phillips having past chemistry with ruzicka just adds to the reasons why it should be tried

those two with Backlund or even flanking kadri would be a great fit I think
Old 12-02-2022, 01:05 PM   #135
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Of course there is a big difference between producing in the AHL and the NHL. Not all point producers in the A translate well into the big leagues.

We won't know if we don't let him try though. And it isn't like all lines are firing and there is absolutely nobody who could use a rest either.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 01:10 PM   #136
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Have watched Phillips at every level since Pee Wee. He is always in the play and you notice him when he is on the ice, mainly because he has always worked his tail off, isn’t that “Sutter Hockey”? I just can’t see any objection to injecting his motor into a lineup that has been very, very, very, lacklustre so many times already this season.
Old 12-02-2022, 01:11 PM   #137
sonq
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Oh wow so we have officially entered the "blow up the team" point where we want to trade Huberdeau et al? 23 games in the season?
Old 12-02-2022, 01:12 PM   #138
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1598768310648459264

Salim asks Sutter about Phillips at 3:08
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 01:13 PM   #139
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonq View Post
Oh wow so we have officially entered the "blow up the team" point where we want to trade Huberdeau et al? 23 games in the season?

To be fair, we reached that point over 10 games ago.

We're in the runout groove on a record right now and it's going to take a pretty long win streak to flip CP to side B.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 01:20 PM   #140
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
easy to say when only one of those players has been given a run in the NHL . who knows what Phillips can do with an extended run here
I think Sutter would say that based on his experience he knows exactly what Philips would accomplish. That's what he's paid to do.

One was given a run in the NHL because of his perceived skill set. The other was not for the exact same reasons.

While their record is not perfect, their job is to access talent. And Sutter has reached the conclusion that Phillps is not going to be a viable NHL player and will walk as a UFA at season's end. And Sutter and the Flames are OK with that.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote