Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Best prospect left from the following?
Agostino 0 0%
Andersson 1 0.28%
Arnold 1 0.28%
Billins 0 0%
Bruce 0 0%
Carroll 1 0.28%
Culkin 1 0.28%
Deblouw 0 0%
Elson 0 0%
Ferland 63 17.95%
Gillies 61 17.38%
Gilmour 1 0.28%
Granlund 7 1.99%
Grant 0 0%
Harrison 0 0%
Hathaway 0 0%
Hickey 9 2.56%
Jankowski 1 0.28%
Kanzig 0 0%
Karnaukhov 0 0%
Klimchuk 2 0.57%
Kulak 0 0%
Kylington 7 1.99%
Mangiapane 1 0.28%
McDonald 1 0.28%
Morrison 1 0.28%
Ollas Mattsson 0 0%
Ortio 59 16.81%
Poirier 133 37.89%
Rafikov 0 0%
Sieloff 1 0.28%
Smith 0 0%
Van Brabant 0 0%
Wolf 0 0%
Wotherspoon 0 0%
Voters: 351. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2015, 02:00 PM   #41
squirtle
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Asked myself which would sting the most?

Went with Gilles. I truly think he's the goalie of our future. It was close with him and Poirier though
squirtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 02:02 PM   #42
Goodlad
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

^I'd also add to MMF's post that Granlund making Finland's team and Arnold making the US team are much easier accomplishments than cracking the Canadian roster. It doesn't necessarily reflect poorly on him to not make the team.
Goodlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 02:46 PM   #43
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelOtto29 View Post
I didn't realize people were so high on Culkin, care to elaborate?
Before last season I wouldn't have rated him in our top 10 prospects, but he did have a solid junior career before going pro. He improved his point-per-game average every year and had a very good plus/minus in a league that is almost all offense and very little defense. Before his first season in the AHL was cut short with a wrist injury, he worked his way into top pairing minutes, and was used in all situations. This is on a team that had a lot of veteran players like Cundari, Acolatse, Yonkman, and a possible top defense prospect in Wotherspoon. The coach had a lot of praise for him, and he made a lot of strides as a first year pro. He wasn't highly touted when drafted, but he's made steady progress year after year with very little in terms of setbacks. I'm not saying he's got the high end skill to be a top pairing defenseman in the NHL, but I wouldn't be shocked if you see him fill a spot on the bottom 2 pairs within 2 years.

It's just my opinion of course, but I've really liked what I've seen from Culkin over the years.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2015, 02:51 PM   #44
gunsmoke
Draft Pick

For me it came down to the goalies... we need one of them to rise to a good number 1, and Ortio gets the first chance. I think he can do it, and then we judge them against each other when Gillies is ready.
gunsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:09 PM   #45
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gillies has shown that he can steal games at the NCAA level, and he looks like he has all the tools to be really good once he turns pro. He has great upside at the most important position in the game, so I vote for Gillies. However, I also really like Poirier's game, so it was a very close decision.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:13 PM   #46
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I go with need top 6, top 4 and starting goalie upside to be considered in the early rankings and then go to ready ness.

So the leaders early on for me are Ortio and Ferland. They meet the upside criteria and are the closest to getting there.

Voted Ortio as he is more probable to reach his ceiling.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:49 PM   #47
Hatter
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Went with Ortio this round. I think he's the most ready to make an impact next season. Getting wins from your backup is vital, and I think Hiller will be traded.
Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:58 PM   #48
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Love seeing two of the players being discussed are 2 goalies. Bodes well for the future. I'm guessing McDonald won't be near the bottom, either.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 04:00 PM   #49
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tough one to pick.

I love Ferland, and I think he can be game-changer and a fan-favorite for many years to come. Poirier might be less of a fighter than Ferland, but could end up being the next 'Gary Roberts' (as a comparison). Yeah, shiny new toy syndrome, but Kylington's potential is through the roof, and he may become the face of the Flames' defensive core down the road. Jankowski - say what you will about him, but I still think this kid has high upside. Gillies and Ortio...and MacDonald! All three could very well become the next decade-long starter for Calgary. Hickey! Didn't know a thing about him until after the draft, saw him at development camp and thought: "Wow". Seen him play some games and I just think Jacob Trouba - just does everything you want a defencemen to do - checks off all the boxes under 'must have' and also all the boxes under 'nice to have' - seriously, this kid does it all.

Maybe another coffee will help me decide.

Edit: After my coffee and a nice quick hailstorm, I decided on Jankowski. In looking over the Pacific division, one thing stands out - big forwards (and centers) that skate well and have proven to be difficult for the Flames to handle. I see Jankowski helping to address this hole with his size, defensive acumen, IQ and skating, and I really do believe he has absolutely silky smooth hands and will make players around him better.

My voting strategy combines upside with how likely the player is to achieve it. I think Jankowski has addressed a lot of his question marks from his draft year, and I do think he will end up being a very important player for Calgary. I think Kylington - after Bennett - has the highest upside in the prospect base, but just some big questions that (hopefully) this upcoming season starts answering.

Last edited by Calgary4LIfe; 07-04-2015 at 04:37 PM.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 05:00 PM   #50
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm in the very minority who think Gillies game will not translate. Lots of goalies have put great numbers in the NCAA. He didnt impress me when he was the American junior starter. He looked shaky in the NCAA championship game as well. My opinion of course and I hope I'm wrong but I think he'll falter.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 05:02 PM   #51
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Ortio could be a regular in a key position at the start of the season. The only other guy I think you can say that about is Bennett (who is more likely to be an impact player.)
Ferland as well IMO.

And that's why I chose Ferland. But it's pretty close and I think Gillies, Ortio and Poirier are all legitimate for getting the #2 vote as well.

I think Hickey is not quite in that group yet (but is in the next group)

Last edited by Enoch Root; 07-04-2015 at 09:52 PM.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 05:03 PM   #52
Wolven
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Poirier for me.

Once he translates that speed + finish to the NHL I can see him becoming that player we hoped Lombardi to be (unfortunately lombo wasn't able to finish the opportunities that his speed created). Add to that the grit and physical play in his game and I think will become a great RW able to move up and down the lineup.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:28 PM   #53
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gillies is probably worth a late first round pick, and Ortio has small enough value that we could send him down on waivers (and possibly not lose him).

Gillies is also one of the best goaltending prospects in all of hockey, whereas Ortio is an average prospect who is 3 years further along.

It's pretty hard to justify rating Ortio higher than Gillies IMO.

Poirier has shown more offense in his rookie year of the AHL than Ferland has at any point. Same idea.
1qqaaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 05:37 PM   #54
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Gillies is probably worth a late first round pick, and Ortio has small enough value that we could send him down on waivers (and possibly not lose him).
Your logic is flawed. No way Treliving risks losing Ortio on waivers and keeps two pending UFAs.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 05:41 PM   #55
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Poirier. Best RW prospect in the system and has game breaking speed and hands.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 06:03 PM   #56
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
I'm in the very minority who think Gillies game will not translate. Lots of goalies have put great numbers in the NCAA. He didnt impress me when he was the American junior starter. He looked shaky in the NCAA championship game as well. My opinion of course and I hope I'm wrong but I think he'll falter.
I won't say Gillies will falter but the same question marks are there for me. Never the less I have him ranked 4th amongst our prospects with Ortio edging him out as he's more proven and is almost ready. Saying that I didn't like the way Ortio started last season. He was given time to get sharp in Penticton and rookie camp but didn't have a great camp and had a slow start in Adirondack. If he has another so so camp, he may find himself back in the A this season.

Poirier is a nice prospect as well. I just wonder if his physical game can translate to the NHL. I'd like to see him come to camp with another 10 lbs of muscle if that comparison to Gary Roberts is possible.

My pick at 2nd is Ferland. He showed he can be a difference maker in the NHL and how many rookies can say that. I just hope he stays on the straight and narrow and comes into camp in good shape.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 06:19 PM   #57
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Gillies is probably worth a late first round pick...
No chance. When was the last time a prospect with no professional games played was traded for a first round pick? Gillies is a good prospect, but he is still a college goalie who has yet to play a single pro game.

Quote:
...Ortio is an average prospect who is 3 years further along.
Ortio has played fifteen NHL games, sports a winning record, and he only just turned 24-years-old. He has played in North America for only two years, and looked absolutely fantastic in a few of his starts with the Flames last season. Yes, he is further along, but has accomplished a tremendous amount more than Gillies to this point. One of Ortio's most impressive assets is his ability to handle big game pressure—this is something that can be notoriously difficult for even the most technically sound goalies, and has prevented a long list of former college, juniour, and minor league stars from ever becoming elite level starters. With the variable development trajectory of goalies at the NHL level, Ortio still has at least another two or three seasons to establish himself; he still has time to go along with an impressive physical and psychological skill set to be a legitimate top level starter.

Quote:
It's pretty hard to justify rating Ortio higher than Gillies IMO.
It is not at all difficult. For all of Gillies' success, he is not a "wart-free" prospect, and Ortio is very realistically now, and possibly even in the future a better goalie when all is said and done.

I like both of them, but have simply not seen enough from Gillies to convince me that he is the clear winner here. As of today, I think Ortio has a higher ceiling with a better likelihood to meet it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 07-04-2015 at 06:21 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2015, 06:39 PM   #58
PlayfulGenius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I favor ceiling more...and Poirier was drafted 3 YEARS after Ferland...he's got a higher ceiling as far as offensive output at the NHL level.

Man...I love BOTH these guys!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
Yeah, Gagner's line was -4 and Kessel's was +4, so it all evened out.
PlayfulGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:07 PM   #59
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Ferland, loved his game in the playoffs. If he can keep up that intensity throughout the regular season, every other team in the league will both simultaneously hate him and wish they had him on their roster.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2015, 07:44 PM   #60
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well it looks like Poirier has this but I can see some heated arguments in the next round between Ferland, Ortio and Gillies supporters.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote