Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Buy And Sell > Ticket Exchange
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 04-27-2022, 07:00 PM   #1
questionmotives
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Flames Questions about face Value (Split)

When did this forum change to allow people to sell for more than face? I’ve been out of town for awhile, and while I appreciate the transparency, the former was what made this a great place to buy secure tickets between fans…
Old 04-27-2022, 07:35 PM   #2
Blankcanvas
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by questionmotives View Post
When did this forum change to allow people to sell for more than face? I’ve been out of town for awhile, and while I appreciate the transparency, the former was what made this a great place to buy secure tickets between fans…
From the 'sticky' at the top of the Ticket Exchange sub-forum:

"Starting with the 2018-19 season and the playoffs, we are going to allow posts over face value."
Blankcanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blankcanvas For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2022, 02:59 AM   #3
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

It still a great place to buy secure tickets between fans.

All season, many of us have had to sell some of our tickets at 20% losses; I had to even sell some games at 50% my cost. Now that playoffs are here, the demand is high enough that a loss doesnt need to be taken, and it's a chance to recoup a portion of those losses.

The market price, as set by the public (and the Flames) is ussually very close to face value or a bit above. The Flames raise and lower Face with the market. So, we could have a rule of less than Face here, but in that scenario, nobody wins. No tickets would be posted here. Then, the buyer still pays way more due to high Ticketmaster fees, and the seller shares that burden. Selling here, even if above Face, saves the buyer and the seller money in the end.

Nobody here is a big business enterprise scalper. We're just trustworthy fans with season tickets that can't attend 45 + 16 games a season.
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 07:18 AM   #4
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agree completely, with Draug’s post. I regularly have moved my tickets at huge discounts below my cost through Calgarypuck. This is generally the only place I sell them for below my cost, since it is such a great forum. Many of us have also ended up giving our tickets for free on Calgarypuck, myself included.

Tickets are still available, folks. Make me an offer, if interested. I have received a few offers on Facebook, but would rather sell them on Calgarypuck. Game A in Sec 225 R9 is potentially sold.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2022, 07:59 AM   #5
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Many season ticket holders (myself included) often discount heavily during the regular season. It's a bit bothersome when posters complain that the legal activity of selling higher than face value during playoffs (forum allows it) and it comes off a bit whiney.

I've taken a complete loss on many many pairs of lower bowl tickets for a simple donation to the Childrens hopsital and its worth every penny.

Don't ruin it for people, nobody is forcing you to pay the price, heck even ticketmaster is littered with resale tickets for double/triple what people are paying.

Enjoy it, embrace the playoffs and do what works best for you. But dont slander those selling tickets.
Royle9 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2022, 09:22 AM   #6
questionmotives
Scoring Winger

Exp:

No slander, was legit curious as to when the changes were made as I’ve been gone for sometime. Hope the Flames go on a run and STH can obviously do as they please.
Old 04-28-2022, 12:13 PM   #7
3thirty
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by questionmotives View Post
No slander, was legit curious as to when the changes were made as I’ve been gone for sometime. Hope the Flames go on a run and STH can obviously do as they please.

Username certainly checks out.
3thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 3thirty For This Useful Post:
Kev
Old 04-29-2022, 07:25 AM   #8
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I split this from the thread it was in originally. As mentioned, a few years ago we started allowing sales above face value. When that didn't turn us into a haven for scalpers, we continued to allow it. Now that we require confirmation info from any new members, I think the likelihood of there being an issue going forward is low.

Fun fact, speaking of requiring confirmation info- we now see that about 90-95% of all new registrations are bogus.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2022, 01:59 PM   #9
Smartcar
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Also, face value seems to be a moving target. When you had to commit to the tickets it was 40% below face for STH and Red1 lower bowl seats were $405 each. Now it's $455 each.
Smartcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 11:04 AM   #10
bcneil
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

If you sell playoff tickets for face or season ticket holder cost. You will see your tickets listed on Ticketmaster 20 minutes later, by your buyer.
bcneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 01:04 PM   #11
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Disagree. I think if you sell to someone here who is actually a contributor to the forum there is a reasonable expectation they will attend. I've been checking periodically for tickets in the $150-170 range and if I'm able to find any, I'll take my dad for his birthday!
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2022, 04:04 PM   #12
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
Disagree. I think if you sell to someone here who is actually a contributor to the forum there is a reasonable expectation they will attend. I've been checking periodically for tickets in the $150-170 range and if I'm able to find any, I'll take my dad for his birthday!
Agreed. I want to take my son but my budget is only $150/ticket. Hoping price will drop before Tuesday but watching it with him at home will be fun too.
albertGQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 06:03 AM   #13
Reggie28
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Lots of tickets on fansfirst for under $150.
Reggie28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 07:11 AM   #14
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie28 View Post
Lots of tickets on fansfirst for under $150.
By far the most tickets I’ve ever seen listed on fanfirst. Prices are coming down fast. I bet we see sub $100 2nd level tickets by tomorrow afternoon.

As has been repeatedly mentioned on CP, the market for tickets was quite soft this year. It can’t just be covid. A little unexpected. Figured flames tickets would have been a hot commodity coming out of two years with no fans in attendance. Can’t help but wonder if other economic factors are at play and people just don’t have the disposable income to afford the prices.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 08:51 AM   #15
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Current issue I have with this policy is I know there are season ticket holders that acquired a 2nd set of tickets and are selling those WELL above face to allow themselves to fund their playoff tickets for free.

This doesn't allow a regular fan much option to purchase tickets. I had been looking to take kids to a game and the best I could do was row 5 in PL for $120/seat on ticketmaster presale. That's the same price STH are paying for a second set of tickets in Green/Orange 2nd bowl and selling for $350/seat and up

Not sure if there's a solution for the site or if it's only me that has an issue with this. I get the whole free market thing it's just frustrating. I'd take my son to a game every round if I was able to get orange/Green's for $200 at Stanley cup finals.

Last edited by MacDaddy77; 05-17-2022 at 08:59 AM.
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MacDaddy77 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2022, 09:05 AM   #16
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I’d blame the flames more than the STH’s taking advantage of the extra buying opportunity.

It was set up from the start as a scalping opportunity for STHs to recoup their costs.

If flames wanted reasonably priced tickets to get into the hands of fans, they would have done things differently. But that’s not what they or their STHs want.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 09:09 AM   #17
kipperiggy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I’d blame the flames more than the STH’s taking advantage of the extra buying opportunity.

It was set up from the start as a scalping opportunity for STHs to recoup their costs.

If flames wanted reasonably priced tickets to get into the hands of fans, they would have done things differently. But that’s not what they or their STHs want.
Hopefully this changes next season and was just a recoup your COVID losses thing. The issue isn’t with CP allowing sales above face its this setup from the Flames in the first place.

Thanks AC!
kipperiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 09:11 AM   #18
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
Current issue I have with this policy is I know there are season ticket holders that acquired a 2nd set of tickets and are selling those WELL above face to allow themselves to fund their playoff tickets for free.

This doesn't allow a regular fan much option to purchase tickets. I had been looking to take kids to a game and the best I could do was row 5 in PL for $120/seat on ticketmaster presale. That's the same price STH are paying for a second set of tickets in Green/Orange 2nd bowl and selling for $350/seat and up

Not sure if there's a solution for the site or if it's only me that has an issue with this. I get the whole free market thing it's just frustrating. I'd take my son to a game every round if I was able to get orange/Green's for $200 at Stanley cup finals.
FWIW, the "second" set of tickets were offered at 15% off face value, not 40%. So Oranges and Greens were $126-160 for R1, $142-$181 for R2. Tickets for R4 are $238-$302.

But your point stands -- I think the Flames have tried to "reward" season ticket holders with the extra playoff options; otherwise it would be scalpers/bots buying those tickets and selling them for $350 and up.

Also, current prices are obviously inflated due to the BoA but I can see them being lower in R3 simply because of who we would be playing (if we get there).
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2022, 09:13 AM   #19
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

yea I guess my issues lies more with the flames allowing the 2nd set at reduced price.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:14 AM   #20
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipperiggy View Post
Hopefully this changes next season and was just a recoup your COVID losses thing. The issue isn’t with CP allowing sales above face its this setup from the Flames in the first place.
Well that being said, if there are CP members with 2nd sets "scalping" perhaps offering them here at cost would reduce the number of Coilers fans getting into the dome.