Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2020, 11:51 AM   #81
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

maybe not empty stadiums, but the pricing structure may have to change a lot.

i have not heard, but are NHL players still getting paid today?

i wonder if the NHL contracts can be terminated and reworked?

How does the NHL figure out it's price point on the other side of this?
Old 03-24-2020, 12:01 PM   #82
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
By the time that any sports come back, in whatever form, I would have to think that the teams will be playing to empty stadiums.
Even if this is true, how do they protect the players from eachother? I don't think close contact sports will be able to resume until risk of contracting the virus is extremely low. Or there's a vaccine or something.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:23 PM   #83
Press Level
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Obviously everything right now is unknown, and we won't know the aftermath until we get to that point (and when that will be to respond to your first post). But as much as there's a lot of people who have lost jobs and will be financially hurting, there is still others that are continuing to work, and many of those in the upper class are gonna be able to weather this storm, and be able to comfortably spend again afterwards.

It's jarring how much of an effect this virus has had globally, but I genuinely believe that it's not as doomsday as it's getting portrayed by some. There will be a point where the virus has diminished enough (and is controlled as much as it can be until a vaccine is mainstream) that reasonable risk will be weighed against the pressure of the economy and push for people to live life socially again.

There's gonna be an overwhelming appetite from society to live life like they did beforehand again by the Fall if there's a low number of cases at that point.

The problem is, it's not just the virus. Even if COVID-19 did not exist, our economy would be getting decimated by the oil price war between the Saudis and the Russians. Combining this with the near-complete shutdown of the rest of our economy (for any period of time) and we have a recipe for disaster. It is not an exaggeration to compare what is coming to the Great Depression. 500,000 people applied for EI last week. That was Week 1. People are being allowed to defer mortgage payments and utility bills for a few months, but at some point they will still be expected to pay.

A significant percentage of people who have traditionally attended NHL games and/or paid for TV sports packages will simply be unable to do so for the next few years. There are NHL franchises that will not survive this.
Press Level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 01:01 PM   #84
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Even if this is true, how do they protect the players from eachother? I don't think close contact sports will be able to resume until risk of contracting the virus is extremely low. Or there's a vaccine or something.
Pre game testing for every player. If a player gets a positive, they are put on IR until they receive 2 negative tests.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:11 PM   #85
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post

Whether or not the players are getting paid is actually immaterial. They will get 50% of HRR one way or another.

Terminating or re-negotiating contracts would require a CBA amendment. Which, honestly, I'd be leery of if I was on the owner's side.

And as far as price point goes, I would expect no real changes for 2020-21. It's going to be 2021-22 that will change things if we see significant declines.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 01:16 PM   #86
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post

Yes.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:05 PM   #87
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I made a similar point a while back. I think people are underestimating the economic impact this will have.
I think the economic and financial impact will take decades. We may never fully recover.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:27 PM   #88
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

US will be fine by Easter...just ask Trump
Old 03-24-2020, 05:47 PM   #89
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Of course the Oilers look like they're on the brink of making the playoffs, and it's the end of the world!
Old 03-25-2020, 08:34 AM   #90
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 03-25-2020, 09:02 AM   #91
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

If Trump wants to open up US by Eastern it would seem like a guaranteed second wave. How many months in is China? And they're afraid that there will be another wave still despite the lockdown.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:23 PM   #92
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
If Trump wants to open up US by Eastern it would seem like a guaranteed second wave. How many months in is China? And they're afraid that there will be another wave still despite the lockdown.
Second wave? They are barely in the midst of the first wave. Opening the US by Easter would ensure that the peak of this wave would probably reach to over 30% of the population, which *could* result in a death toll of around 500K-1 million people. Economic disaster is coming, whether you remove restrictions or not, it's more a question of how many people are going to die and having your entire healthcare system collapse.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 01:45 PM   #93
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think there will be hockey again in 2020.
I doubt any live crowds but they'll be playing in closed arenas, testing before each game and TV viewing will be at an all time high because we'll still have limited public things to do.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:13 PM   #94
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a depressing time, and I just don't see any way thus season is salvaged...

Let's move the Stanley cup to Esports where the rest of the year is played out but each team having to rotate the players (the actual team's players) having to play each game, and create some kind stream of it.

As a fan, I would pay a subscription to watch that.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 08:38 PM   #95
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
I doubt any live crowds but they'll be playing in closed arenas, testing before each game and TV viewing will be at an all time high because we'll still have limited public things to do.
I seriously doubt that. There won't be hockey until there is a vaccine, this this is going to come in waves.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:57 AM   #96
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
When Athletes say it's hard to play in front of half empty arenas imagine how it'll be for them as a staged TV event in a hollow building, TV viewing will go up but I doubt corps such as Sportsnet will rip up their TV contract after overpaying on the current one.

TV contracts pay about 20% of player wages,the numbers don't work. Only a miracle or vaccine will
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:08 AM   #97
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

If more and more people start getting the virus, have an all virus league! Only sick players are allowed to play and they have to suit up no matter what. Need a respirator, bring it on the ice with you. Have a fever, the ice will cool you off. The crowd, yep they're all sick too. Healthies (or non-virusers) are allowed to come too but they have to know that they'll leave sick like everyone else. The only thing sold in the concession stands, the thing that started it all...bat on a stick!
Old 03-26-2020, 07:45 AM   #98
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
When Athletes say it's hard to play in front of half empty arenas imagine how it'll be for them as a staged TV event in a hollow building, TV viewing will go up but I doubt corps such as Sportsnet will rip up their TV contract after overpaying on the current one.

TV contracts pay about 20% of player wages,the numbers don't work. Only a miracle or vaccine will
So sportsnet would rather have no TV Revenue like they do right now ?

The minute players stop getting paid they will be fine playing in empty stadiums
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2020, 09:32 AM   #99
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
So sportsnet would rather have no TV Revenue like they do right now ?

The minute players stop getting paid they will be fine playing in empty stadiums
Maybe sportsnet would go to a PPV model. I could see them charging $15 or $20 a game. more revenue generated for everyone. lot of people who would pay up if it means they could watch hockey again.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:48 AM   #100
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
Maybe sportsnet would go to a PPV model. I could see them charging $15 or $20 a game. more revenue generated for everyone. lot of people who would pay up if it means they could watch hockey again.
I very much doubt it. I certainly would not.

Such a model would also be seriously damaging as it would completely eliminate any justification for maintaining Sportsnet in one's cable package, and carriage fees are where SN makes most of its money.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote