Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-29-2020, 12:14 PM   #1281
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc View Post
Willow park just came out with a 12 beers of Christmas. Pre-order/pay now and pick up in the 7th.
5 vines has something similar. also local
https://vicpark.5vines.com/products/...s-of-christmas
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:29 PM   #1282
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
5 vines has something similar. also local
https://vicpark.5vines.com/products/...s-of-christmas
$60 for a 12-pack? Why not just go to Co-op or Wine and Beyond and make your own pack? Would save at least $20 that way
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2020, 01:13 PM   #1283
jroc
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

They also ruin the element of surprise!
jroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 08:02 PM   #1284
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife found one at a store in Lethbridge. She gave up trying to find one and was going to just make one. The store she went to wound up having BeerAdvent Calendars! She started looking at all the craft beers and the store clerk asked if she needed a hand and she told him what she was doing and he said "well, why don't you just buy one that's already made, we have some in stock!"

It's all German beer. Brewer's Advent Calendar.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:56 AM   #1285
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

When I lived in Fredericton, the Picaroons did the 12 beers of Christmas where they had a different one each day. Not the same as an advent calendar but similar.

Was just thinking if craft brewery had enough variety they could always just make the boxes and randomly fill them to order.

My local brewery wouldn't have a big enough selection (that said they usually have like 8-10 cans or so available). I suppose if you had 12, you could double up the beers, two of each.

Interesting thought... might mention it to them for next year.

In the meantime I made my own. Everyday I get the surprise of my favourite beer!

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 04:13 PM   #1286
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Anyone still have some of their Westvleteren 12's from 2012, stemming from this thread? https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...t=westvleteren

I just cracked open my 4th one, I have had some amazing self control over these years. I would say it's somehow gotten better, I couldn't test the alcohol but it had to have increased.

I need to find some more craft Belgian Quads, the Rochefort 10 is getting old.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:23 PM   #1287
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
Anyone still have some of their Westvleteren 12's from 2012, stemming from this thread? https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...t=westvleteren

I just cracked open my 4th one, I have had some amazing self control over these years. I would say it's somehow gotten better, I couldn't test the alcohol but it had to have increased.

I have a two year old Orval in my fridge. I meant to take it to three years, but the will is getting weak.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:50 PM   #1288
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post

I had one left in the fridge also. I cracked it in the summer and had to throw it away. Not sure if it went bad or if, as you think, the alcohol level went up but it was almost impossible to choke back. Maybe I'm just a light weight when it comes to flavour and/or alcohol content in beer but I did not like.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 04:12 PM   #1289
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1336799756958326787
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 04:34 PM   #1290
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
My wife found one at a store in Lethbridge. She gave up trying to find one and was going to just make one. The store she went to wound up having BeerAdvent Calendars! She started looking at all the craft beers and the store clerk asked if she needed a hand and she told him what she was doing and he said "well, why don't you just buy one that's already made, we have some in stock!"

It's all German beer. Brewer's Advent Calendar.
So, I've been enjoying the German beer. All the cans are almost completely in German. The minimal english on the can doesn't tell me what kind of beer I'm drinking. I have no clue what I'm getting myself into each day, but I've quite enjoyed every beer so far.

The first one was labelled "Hell". I thought... what a way to start Beer Advent 2020!
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 11:14 AM   #1291
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
I had one left in the fridge also. I cracked it in the summer and had to throw it away. Not sure if it went bad or if, as you think, the alcohol level went up but it was almost impossible to choke back. Maybe I'm just a light weight when it comes to flavour and/or alcohol content in beer but I did not like.
This was my experience too. I opened one about a year ago and it was definitely over. It was stored in a dark cool place, it didn't help. It did not taste good.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 03:17 PM   #1292
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a huge fan of Porters and Stouts during the winter.

Had a fantastic Chocolate Hazelnut Milk Stout from Russell Brewing in BC last night. Going to have to go to ABX to stock up some more!
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 03:21 PM   #1293
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post

Had a fantastic Chocolate Hazelnut Milk Stout from Russell Brewing in BC last night. Going to have to go to ABX to stock up some more!
Wild Rose do a Cherry Porter which is yummy and believe it or not Brewster's do a Coconut Porter that is really good (and I usually dislike their beers).

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:39 PM   #1294
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Agreed. I had the same one from ABX a couple nights ago and it's quite nice. Fitzsimmons Brewery in Airdrie has a Hazelnut Chocolate Milk Porter which I'm also quite curious about. I've liked everything else I've tried from them.
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 01:50 PM   #1295
CompKing
Lifetime Suspension

Thumbs up

Spam post deleted.

Last edited by ken0042; 12-21-2020 at 11:10 AM. Reason: .
CompKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 06:17 PM   #1296
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Okay, we need to have a talk about this, because I need to keep adding to the list. The Rogue chocolate stout - or better yet, the Rogue double chocolate stout - is a pretty safe bet in this area, as is the Philips Longboat Chcoolate Porter.

For somewhat fruity options, Muskoka Winter Beard chocolate cranberry stout is a good option. I like the Whistler Dunkel (which is effectively a Terry's Chocolate Orange in beer form) but it's polarizing because it's quite sweet, and I honestly have to be in the right mood for it myself.

Possibly my favourite in this vein was the Flying Monkeys chocolate manifesto. I haven't seen it in Calgary in years, though you can order it on the website if you're willing to pay rather a lot in shipping.

I'd like to hear about others, though, so, shoot.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 06:31 PM   #1297
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

For stouts, Outcast here in town is usually a safe bet. They currently have two coffee stouts, a pastry stout, and a 14% imperial stout that is something else. They did a PB&J stout earlier this year that was amazing, and I typically dislike peanut butter beers.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2020, 06:35 PM   #1298
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ended up pre-ordering the willow park advent calendar. Picked it up today, but haven’t opened it yet. Will be interesting to see what they have done, and IF it justifies the cost
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 06:38 PM   #1299
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
For stouts, Outcast here in town is usually a safe bet. They currently have two coffee stouts, a pastry stout, and a 14% imperial stout that is something else. They did a PB&J stout earlier this year that was amazing, and I typically dislike peanut butter beers.
That's good advice, I shall give them a shot. I was specifically talking about chocolate beers and variations on chocolate beers, though - if we're talking stouts and porters generally this becomes a pretty ungainly conversation, just too many to go through (though I am currently enjoying an 88 Brewing Vietnamese Coffee Stout which has a really nice silky texture to it, for what that's worth).
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 08:21 AM   #1300
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
So, I've been enjoying the German beer. All the cans are almost completely in German. The minimal english on the can doesn't tell me what kind of beer I'm drinking. I have no clue what I'm getting myself into each day, but I've quite enjoyed every beer so far.

The first one was labelled "Hell". I thought... what a way to start Beer Advent 2020!
Hell is a type of German pale lager. And that was my complaint with the German brewers advent calendar a few years ago- overwhelming majority were pretty indistinguishable pale lagers, even though Germany has an lot of of different varieties. Would be curious to hear how this years went after the Helles.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beer , conway twitty , drunks , yes conway twitty