Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2017, 11:33 AM   #201
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Parsons is exactly why you take the BPA every draft, position be damned.
Calgary4LIfe is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2017, 11:35 AM   #202
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hope this kid keeps progressing. We're due!
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:37 PM   #203
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like this one:

Quote:
In @GoLondonKnights 3 wins this series @NHLFlames prospect @Tylerparsons22 allowed just 3 goals on 119 shots (975SV%!!!) Gm7 Tues
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2017, 12:54 PM   #204
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Parsons is exactly why you take the BPA every draft, position be damned.
A good general rule of thumb, but draft strategy and competitive intelligence factors in as well. For example, Button indicated the Flames had Dube ranked higher than Parsons, but took Parsons first because they thought he'd be taken if they waited. The next pick the Penguins also took a goalie. They took a chance and got both players they wanted.

They did something similar with the Fox pick. They selected Fox first because there were fewer puck moving D-men remaining. Sounds like they still had several forwards on their list that they liked, but only Fox on the blueline. Took Fox then hoped one of the forwards would still be there at their next pick

Last edited by Canada 02; 04-17-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2017, 01:08 PM   #205
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hopefully this kid is going to be "the one" for us and we don't have to waste any more draft picks or assets a acquiring goaltenders. We need to stockpile more depth in other areas of this team so we don't have to sign expensive and underwhelming UFAs like Raymond, Brouwer, Wideman, Hiller and etc.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:58 AM   #206
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I hope he saves the organization's bacon in the coming years. I've had enough of big name, underwhelming goalie signings.

Maybe can be our Matt Murray.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 10:39 AM   #207
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Hopefully this kid is going to be "the one" for us and we don't have to waste any more draft picks or assets a acquiring goaltenders. We need to stockpile more depth in other areas of this team so we don't have to sign expensive and underwhelming UFAs like Raymond, Brouwer, Wideman, Hiller and etc.
To be clear, players that do not pan out should not be looked at as "wasted picks," especially since the vast majority of every team's draft choices will not become NHL regulars. Even if Parson's carves out a NHL career in the short term, the team should and will continue to draft goalies every year—along with players from every other position—because they need to ensure that there is a steady stream of available talent in the pipeline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:36 AM   #208
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
To be clear, players that do not pan out should not be looked at as "wasted picks," especially since the vast majority of every team's draft choices will not become NHL regulars. Even if Parson's carves out a NHL career in the short term, the team should and will continue to draft goalies every year—along with players from every other position—because they need to ensure that there is a steady stream of available talent in the pipeline.
I think the poster is referring to trading draft picks to acquire veteran goalies that don't end up in our long term plans. Brian Elliott.

But also would be nice not to spend 2nd round picks on goalies for next few years.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 12:43 PM   #209
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I'm hopeful that one of these two young American born goaltenders will eventually be able to solve our Anaheim problem. Both of these guys do have winning pedigree as they develop so that's encouraging.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:44 PM   #210
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
If you look at what the Flames have given up in trades to acquire the likes of Reto Berra, Kari Ramo, Brian Elliott and the picks we've spent on all the goaltending prospects, its a lot of assets that could've been used elsewhere to add depth on wing or on defense. You should still always pick the best player available and if it's a goaltender then it's a goaltender. But I feel like when you can find that true elite #1 goaltender, you have the luxury to add depth and draft elsewhere instead of using it on a goaltender.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:17 PM   #211
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Parsons season is done and therefore could technically be called up. Though the kid probably needs a rest. As usual, he was the only reason the Knights were in it against Erie. The Knights lost 5-4 in OT through no fault of Parsons as he made 58 saves in game 7. The Knights were out-shot 63-29.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:22 PM   #212
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post
Parsons season is done and therefore could technically be called up. Though the kid probably needs a rest. As usual, he was the only reason the Knights were in it against Erie. The Knights lost 5-4 in OT through no fault of Parsons as he made 58 saves in game 7. The Knights were out-shot 63-29.
He can't be called up to the NHL, his NHL contract starts next season.

It is almost certain he will join Stockton on an ATO.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:07 PM   #213
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just crazy that London was out shot 289-167 in that 7 game series. Parsons almost got them through it to. Kid is a keeper.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2017, 12:05 AM   #214
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

I lived in London for a few years and still have some good friends there. One of my pals is a die-hard Knights fan, season ticket holder for years. He told me to "go ahead and be very excited about Parsons." He's seen every game the kid ever played and he assures me that he is the real deal.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:31 AM   #215
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racki View Post
I lived in London for a few years and still have some good friends there. One of my pals is a die-hard Knights fan, season ticket holder for years. He told me to "go ahead and be very excited about Parsons." He's seen every game the kid ever played and he assures me that he is the real deal.
Even as a rookie, despite numbers that weren't as good as as his two years to come, you could see that he was going to be really good. By the playoffs, he had taken over as the starter.

Last year's team eventually got really good, but at the start of the year, Parsons was the reason they were as good as they were. His domination in the WJC and the remainder of last season through the Memorial Cup is well documented.

Can't wait to see how he does in camp next year.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:50 PM   #216
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a surprise, but local news in London says Parsons is on his way to Stockton. Video is talking about how good he was/is.

http://london.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1104360
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2017, 08:02 PM   #217
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Great Wall of Parsons

Tyler deserves a Main Forum bump after his stellar performance this past week with Mavericks.

Source: http://kcmavericks.com/news/?article_id=976

Great Wall of Parsons

Tyler Parsons claimed his first professional shutout in the Mavericks’ win, stopping all 28 pucks that he faced in the game while earning first star honors. Parsons excelled all week long, leading the Mavericks to four of their five wins in the current streak. In those four games, Parsons stopped 135 of 141 shots faced. Expectations were high for the former second-round NHL Draft pick and NHL.com's top prospect within the Flames system when he was assigned to Kansas City and it’s safe to say that he has surpassed most of what was anticipated from the 20-year-old netminder.
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:14 PM   #218
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Slow start, but he seems to be playing much better now. McDonald was actually out-playing Parsons, but now it seems that Parsons is indeed playing better.

Also, don't give up on McDonald yet - he has been playing fairly well from what I have been reading/following (though I haven't seen a game myself). It SEEMS like McDonald is finding consistency in his game, and if he manages to remain consistent, he may yet have a bright NHL future ahead of him.

I wasn't worried about Parsons, but it is relieving to see him start to do well now.
Calgary4LIfe is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2017, 08:18 PM   #219
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last 4 games:

4-0-0
1.49 GAA
0.957 sv%
1 SO
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:08 AM   #220
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

https://www.echl.com/playeraward/par...oaltender-week

Quote:
Tyler Parsons of the Kansas City Mavericks is the CCM ECHL Goaltender of the Week for Nov. 13-19.

Parsons went 4-0-0 with one shutout, a 1.49 goals-against average and a .957 save percentage last week, helping the Mavericks to a five-game winning streak.

The 20-year-old stopped 34 shots in a 5-2 win against Tulsa on Tuesday, made 38 saves in a 2-1 victory at Wichita on Wednesday, turned aside 35 shots in a 4-3 win at Fort Wayne on Friday and stopped all 28 shots he faced in a 2-0 victory at Quad City on Sunday.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post: