Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-07-2021, 05:52 PM   #101
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

My son was close with the prof. Found out that the bear attacked him from behind, killing him instantly, autopsy suggests he didn't suffer. Bear spray or shotguns wouldn't have helped. They are also of the mind that it was a Grizzly.

Last edited by Cheese; 05-07-2021 at 05:55 PM.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 08:34 PM   #102
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
If I need a cohort to cruise the woods with I am choosing Envitro, sorry btimbit.
Get a load of Harry Whittington over here

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
The funniest encounter I ever had with a bear was up in Northern BC. Pretty young bear came galloping out of the woods maybe 20m in front of us, had clearly not seen us or heard us even though I think we were making plenty of noise. As soon as he catches sight of us, he basically jams his back legs into the ground and skids to a halt in front of us, all the while with an expression like a frightened Scooby-Doo. It was amazing, like a cartoon.
The best bear encounters are the ones where everyone involved has the same first second reaction (OH #### WTF A TWO LEGGED HAIRY!/OH #### WTF A TWO LEGGED NOT HAIRY!)...and the bear demonstrates it's superior intelligence by GTFO before our dumb human brains have processed.

Of course, we can't always expect such benevolence.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 10:09 PM   #103
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I wonder if having a dog would have made any difference?
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:38 PM   #104
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
I wonder if having a dog would have made any difference?
Other than increasing the likelyhood of a bear encounter and the addition of a dead dog probably not.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2021, 03:28 AM   #105
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Based on location, I assume it was a black bear.
Grizzly bears are known to be in the Waiparous area as well,Ghost Lake have have a few problems with them over the years, I've had three encounters with a black bear over the years, after the first one I wasn't really scared at all. You pretty much would have to kick one of it's cubs or steal it's kill to get one pissed off enough to attack you, I'm guessing it was a Grizzly.

Sucks, seems like was a very respected nice guy.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 04:05 AM   #106
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Is there any kind of data out there that supports that these attacks are more frequent in the spring as opposed to later in the season?

It would make sense that their behavior would be most erratic or unpredictable at this time of year.

I tend to try to keep my thoughts positive and not look at nature as threatening when I'm out exploring. These animals are not out to get us, or anything like that. That's just our imagination getting carried away. But this is also why I'm hoping to motivate friends to come make the trips with me more often. Aside from being greater in number, having groups also means you're being vocal and making noise that will carry.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:44 AM   #107
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Overall attacks are higher in summer because of the number of people.

Here is a good study from Herraro who is the world leading researcher on the subject.

https://www.nature.com/articles/srep20552

Quote:
From highest to lowest, the five most common human behaviours occurring at the time of an attack were (a) parents leaving children unattended, (b) walking an unleashed dog, (c) searching for a wounded large carnivore during hunting, (d) engaging in outdoor activities at twilight/night and (e) approaching a female with young.
https://wildlife.onlinelibrary.wiley...0.1002/jwmg.72

An abstract from herraro on black bear fatalities. 88% of black bear fatalities are due to predation.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/3873003?seq=1

And this one on BC bears found that 79% of Grizzly attacks were females which you can infer to be defending Cubs.

The patterns seem to be Grizzly attacks tend to be about protecting young or carcasses and black bears tend to be predatory.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2021, 08:52 AM   #108
JJolg
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Overall attacks are higher in summer because of the number of people.

Here is a good study from Herraro who is the world leading researcher on the subject.

https://www.nature.com/articles/srep20552

https://wildlife.onlinelibrary.wiley...0.1002/jwmg.72

An abstract from herraro on black bear fatalities. 88% of black bear fatalities are due to predation.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/3873003?seq=1

And this one on BC bears found that 79% of Grizzly attacks were females which you can infer to be defending Cubs.

The patterns seem to be Grizzly attacks tend to be about protecting young or carcasses and black bears tend to be predatory.
A large reason for this is over population of black bears, younger or older bears with trouble getting it's food they take the opportunity as it presents itself. They are pushing the less dominant bears into areas with less food so they do what they need to in order to survive. Grizzlies will do the same to them as well as eat them

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
JJolg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JJolg For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2021, 01:47 PM   #109
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

On bears and predation, one should keep in mind that they have a natural instinct to chase (similar to dogs). They may not be out looking for prey, but if they see another animal running by them, it can trigger their instinct to chase and pounce. Going running on a trail where there is a good chance of running into bears isn't a good idea in general. You are essentially enticing them. They may not be looking for food at the moment, but the actions trigger adrenaline and hormonal surges that they can't resist easily.
Old 05-08-2021, 02:51 PM   #110
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
On bears and predation, one should keep in mind that they have a natural instinct to chase (similar to dogs). They may not be out looking for prey, but if they see another animal running by them, it can trigger their instinct to chase and pounce. Going running on a trail where there is a good chance of running into bears isn't a good idea in general. You are essentially enticing them. They may not be looking for food at the moment, but the actions trigger adrenaline and hormonal surges that they can't resist easily.
Exactly.

That's why you see all those videos of bears chasing snowboarders and bikers circulating. It's instinctual for them.

Reminds me of this nice big dog of an old acquaintance when I was younger. He was well behaved with people when you were sitting down or facing him/interacting with him. The moment we would start running around the yard though it's like a switch would flip in his head and he would chase us aggressively, and chomp at our sides or arms.

This is why I think if you're going to go trail running, it would be wise to stick to busy trails with other human deterrents.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2021, 03:19 PM   #111
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

On my property in MD of Bonneville I get more bear visits in June than any other month.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geraldsh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2021, 02:01 AM   #112
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
My son was close with the prof. Found out that the bear attacked him from behind, killing him instantly, autopsy suggests he didn't suffer. Bear spray or shotguns wouldn't have helped. They are also of the mind that it was a Grizzly.
I trained martial arts with David, he helped perform a sweat lodge for us at a camp one year and it was one of the greatest experiences of my life. He was such a wonderful person, a great healer.

His wife wrote a post on her wall that said he was attacked from behind and fell down a 300m embankment. Said the injuries were consistent with an instant death, but honestly I couldn’t tell if that meant it was from the attack itself or the fall and I don’t really have the heart to ask her more right now.

Either way, my condolences to your son. Sad day for me today finding out about this. Our little tribe lost a good man.

Love you David.

Last edited by SeeGeeWhy; 05-09-2021 at 07:44 AM.
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SeeGeeWhy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2021, 02:09 AM   #113
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

David always wanted to be a dad and was lucky to have this happen for him later in his life, he leaves behind two young children with his wife. There is a support page set up for them if anyone is interested in contributing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeeGeeWhy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2021, 02:16 AM   #114
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

For any hikers, the bear hasn’t been identified or captured yet. It’s the Moss trail area outside the Waiprous summer village. Be safe friends.

Last edited by SeeGeeWhy; 05-09-2021 at 02:18 AM.
Old 05-26-2021, 11:07 AM   #115
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently there has been another fatal bear attack near Water Valley, so not too far from where this previous attack occurred (45km). In-laws have been told to stay indoors etc while they track down the bear. Occurred last evening.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 05-26-2021 at 11:12 AM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post: