Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-24-2020, 08:01 AM   #1
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:
Icon47 CPHL Washington Capitals Update

Thank you all for the welcome to CPHL again. I am excited to be back.

I have been working hard in the last 24 hours to get his team ready for the game on Day 19 against the Pittsburgh Penguins.

I wanted to provide a team update for the upcoming season. First I want to address the question everyone has been thinking - What the heck are the Washington Capitals doing? Rebuilding?

Capitals have a lot of picks in the 2021 draft. Potentially even high picks in the draft. Capitals also have a bunch of cap space available and just over 3M in cheese to send out. The roster is not good. I havent been able to completely assess the team yet and will post more updates as I move along in the process (Thanks Tre for this).

I can say this about the Capitals this upcoming season - we will be active. We will do stuff to improve the team and try to push for a playoff spot. I believe in my teams always pushing for a playoff spot - it is an attribute of a well run organization. It means you do all the other things well (drafting, signing free agents, managing conracts, playing the sim). Given the nature of our roster and my inclination to tinker I will do my best to make the playoffs by tinkering to create chemistry.

I appreciate the teams reaching out with offers and players but currently we are looking at adding to the CPHL roster at low to little cost as we have cap to spend. So with that I am off to continue my assesment and plan for the team .

P.S where do I go for the initiation CaptianCrunch?

Last edited by BagoPucks; 10-24-2020 at 08:16 AM.
BagoPucks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BagoPucks For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2020, 08:11 AM   #2
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

My first order of business is to get the organization roster compliant. Since we are coming in during the season schedule we will also have to build our baseline roster from which we will have to build.

We have made a couple of moves so far:

Extended offers to:

Justin Bailey
Craig Anderson

Released

Patrick Berglund
Brent Gates - who?
Old 10-31-2020, 08:47 AM   #3
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:
Icon47

A week since taking over the Capitals are still looking for their first win. The biggest hoopla has been the trading of Cam Talbot and the rumours of Kulak being shopped.

Capitals have tried to find chemistry with the players that have been picked up. Some of the players brought in are Nic Dowd, Cody Eakin, Joey Anderson, Filip Johansson, Tobias Rieder, Curtis Lazar, Colin Miller, Damota Mermis, Joakim Ryan, Victor Rask, Ryan Miller and Brett Leason.

Currently, the roster is still a work in progress but we are hoping that we can be in more closely contested games.

Tyler Ennis - Mikael Backlund - Kyle Okposo
Zack Smith - Cody Eakin - Drake Caggiula
Tobias Rieder - Nic Dowd - Justin Bailey
Michael Ferland - Curtis Lazar - Hudson Fasching

Erik Cernak - Mark Pysyk
Brent Seabrook - Brendan Smith
Matt Irwin - Martin Marincin

Craig Anderson
Ryan Miller

Scratches - Alan Quine, Nick Bjugstad, Colin Miller, Dakota Mermis, Brett Kulak.

Capitals are out of cheese but are open to taking on a bad contract or two to help another team. However, such a deal hasnt been found yet.
Mostly, we have brought in RFAs for the most part but we arent hesitant to bring in UFAs who can help us play spoiler down the stretch.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BagoPucks For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2020, 10:22 PM   #4
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

Another week has passed and Capitals have got their first win since I took over as GM. Albeit it was a shootout win but we will take it. Capitals brought in a few new and some familiar faces in Phill Kessel, Richard Panik, Andreas Johnsson, Rocco Grimaldi, Greg Pateryn and Jared Tinordi.

Capitals GM Bagopucks made it known that he had some inebriated trade discussions. Perhaps it was a ploy to see who the "opportunistic" GMs in the league were. After a few beers Bagopucks wanted to ensure our popcorn in the arena was as good as the Islanders so we will now use real butter. GM was also happy that we got some Cheese room in some deals from the week which also coincidentally brought in Phil Kessel. Not sure if the Cheese will disappear soon.

Currently, the roster is

Andreas Johnsson - Mikael Backlund - Phil Kessel
Zack Smith - Cody Eakin - Kyle Okposo
Drake Caggiula - Nic Dowd - Richard Panik
Tobias Rieder - Curtis Lazar - Rocco Grimaldi

Erik Cernak - Greg Pateryn
Matt Irwin - Jared Tinordi

Craig Anderson
Ryan Miller

Scratches - Alan Quine, Hudson Fasching, Justin Bailey, Dakota Mermis

Go Capitals!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BagoPucks For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2020, 07:38 AM   #5
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:
Icon47

Capitals sit at the bottom league and the new GM has failed to gather momentum. We have to be consistent with the direction in which the team's inertia is pulling us in. Unfortunately, that is to the bottom of the standings.

GM Bagopucks is starting to look to next season and beyond. The shipping out of Backlund signals the sounds of change. We will continue to tinker and sign players to try to find chemistry and learn the sim but dont have playoff hopes.

We dont believe in tanking and deliberately forcing our way to the bottom of the standings as it breeds a culture of losing. Capitals will win again.

Bagopucks is going golfing in the snow because it is easier than making deals apparently trade talks are not going well because all his players are worth crap and he is fed up.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BagoPucks For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2020, 02:57 PM   #6
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just kidding. Capitals GM is also snoozing like the rest of you.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:13 AM   #7
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

Capitals in another surprising move have brought in Centre Nicklas Backstrom.

The deal breaks down as below:

Capitals acquire:
Backstrom and Patrick Nemeth

Leafs acquire:
Mike Matheson, Carter Verhaeghe, Prospect: Daniel Torgersson and 2021 1st 28th OV or better owed by the Isles.

Capitals since taking over have not been happy with the results of the team.
Brent Burns, Nicklas Backstrom and Phil Kessel have the largest contracts and are expected to continue carrying the torch next season.

Some fans were outraged with the trading of prospects and a 1st Round pick but GM Bagopucks believes in having quality CPHL roster for the young guys to learn from.

Capitals have also been busy in signing some young players. Some of the players signed are:

Philip Kemp - Stay at home Dman. He brings something the NHL Oilers dont have enough of. Hoping he can push up the depth chart faster because of it

Juuso Parssinen - Defensive Forward who is playing in the Liiga at 19. Hoping he can continue his trajectory of putting up some points

Alex Jeffries - NCAA forward. Putting up points early in the season with injuries. Hoping he can continue shining in D+1 year

Linus Oberg - 20 year old SHL forward who has scored a bunch of goals. Hoping he takes a step forward this year. 7th rounder from 2019

Overall, the team is patient and wanting to build from within. However, we will most likely spend to the cap and build towards the playoffs next season.

Currently, the roster is

Alex Iafallo - Nicklas Backstrom - Phil Kessel
Andreas Johnsson - Cody Eakin - Kyle Okposo
Zack Smith - Nic Dowd - Richard Panik
Matt Martin - Drake Caggiula - Rocco Grimaldi

Brent Burns - Patrick Nemeth
Danny Dekeyser - Greg Pateryn

Craig Anderson
Ryan Miller

Last edited by BagoPucks; 12-20-2020 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-20-2020, 10:16 AM   #8
Quigz17
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Nicklas Backstrom sells drugs to kids. That is all.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Quigz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quigz17 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2021, 09:20 PM   #9
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

Capitals GM is caught between the reality that his team has not got the points it needs and the desire for the GM to keep pushing his roster to get sim wins. The best thing for the franchise might be to get a higher pick. However, in the long run learning to get wins in the sim is important to me and for the franchise. We are 5-4-1 and in our last 10.

Capitals got fed up of losing over the last month and brought in some new faces who are basically terrible OVs but have specific ratings that we believe that can help.

We have acquired Frederick Gauthier, Anthony Angello and Troy Stecher. The bigger news is all the signings that Bagopucks has been making - Eric Tangradi, Steven Lorentz, Jalen Chatfield, Nikolai Knyzhov and Nikita Nesterenko.

Currently, the roster is

Alex Iafallo - Nicklas Backstrom - Phil Kessel
Andreas Johnsson - Nic Dowd - Kyle Okposo
Zack Smith - Frederick Gauthier - Richard Panik
Eric Tangradi - Anthony Angello - Rocco Grimaldi
Spares: Steve Lorentz, Justin Bailey, Matt Martin

Brent Burns - Patrick Nemeth
Brent Seabrook - Kurtis Macdermid
Troy Stecher - Greg Pateryn
Spare:
Jared Tinordi, Danny Dekeyser, Jalen Chatfield

Craig Anderson
Ryan Miller

We have no issues bringing in some cheap veterans to continue playing spoiler and getting points. We sit 11 points out with 30 games remaining. It does seem like an impossible task but with a few teams ahead of us looking for lottery picks we might be closer to a playoff spot than the situation suggests. We are going to continue playing our veterans and hope we can inch our way to the playoffs.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BagoPucks For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2021, 11:09 AM   #10
simmer2
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's great to have GM's prioritizing wins over the perpetual re-build.

Good work
simmer2 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to simmer2 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2021, 10:11 PM   #11
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

Capitals are done. We are looking to maximize our future team value now. We also have a new goal to build a team full of waiver claims from the NYI. Bagopucks is so upset at his teams garbage performance against the Panthers and Lightning that has thrown away any long shot hope of making the playoffs.

Capitals will try to trade whats UFAs left on this team but the return might be underwhelming. Bagopucks instead has turned his attention to handing out contracts to free agents and waiving the rest of this team to let them know they suck.
Old 03-06-2021, 12:14 PM   #12
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tough day at the office for Capitals GM as he has traded two of his star players in Burns and Backstrom. They are both excellent CPHLers and NHLers who are going to be rated well going into next season. In return we are excited to bring in Subban and Danault who are servicable and under team control for a few more seasons. Along with them come a plethora of prospects and picks - 2021 1st PHO, 2022 2nd EDM, Brendan Brisson and Jack Finley.

We like Brisson's scoring ability and hope his D+1 in the NCAA season continues to serve as a stepping stone towards being an NHLer. In Jack we get a big centre who has potential to continue developing in WHL. Two more lottery tickets as we try to rebuild the future of this franchise.

We obviously think that Goffie is trying to buy out our ability to make the playoffs by trading our top two players. We hope that we can continue doing what we have been doing and maybe even push Goffie further on his playoff spot.

Last edited by BagoPucks; 03-07-2021 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-27-2021, 10:30 PM   #13
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

Capitals have nothing to play for the rest of the season after being eliminated on Day 157. The GM was pretty adamant to keep the team pushing closer to the playoffs at the expense of a higher pick in the upcoming draft.

Capitals GM is pretty disappointed in missing the playoffs as he came to CPHL to win a championship.

Capitals dont have many trade talks happening as they dont have many players that would fit the bill of a rental. Capitals have 4 picks in the top 56 picks in the 2021 CPHL Entry Draft with 2 1st and 2nd Rounders.

Capitals will probably continue to be active at the draft and into free agency. GM Bagopucks is pretty happy with some of the work he has been able to do to overhaul this teams players.

The team:

Alex Iaffalo - Phillip Danault - Phil Kessel
Rocco Grimaldi - Radek Faksa - Andreas Johnson
Jacob de la Rose - Mark Jankowski - Troy Terry
X-X-X

Mark Giordano - P.K Subban
Troy Stecher - Scott Mayfield
Ben Hutton - Kurtis Macdermid

Tristan Jarry
X

We will continue to improving this franchise's roster for next season and beyond as our goal is to be a perennial playoff team. GM Bagopucks is off on a scouting trip for the upcoming Entry Draft.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BagoPucks For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2021, 08:27 AM   #14
simmer2
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's great you focused on trying to win rather than the long and tedious 're-build'!!
simmer2 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to simmer2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2021, 10:17 PM   #15
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

Capitals have recently spent some of their picks to bring in some veterans. We are trying to make the playoffs next season and in order to do thy we need to have the right mix of players.

We have brought in Dustin Brown and Mike Smith in exchange for pick 59 and 63. We also brought in a 2022 4th in the Smith trade. Capitals GM also sent Andreas Johnson to the Islanders for Angus Crookshank and 2021 4th in a move where we shed some salary.

Overall we are continuing to buy selectively. Capitals have pick 3 and 7 in the upcoming draft and the current plan is to draft with those high picks. It remains to be seen if that pans out or if a deal is made prior to the selections

Last edited by BagoPucks; 05-04-2021 at 09:25 AM.