Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2021, 09:27 PM   #4081
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Got in 9 holes this evening with my daughter. I think my course has done a pretty good job with the way they have set things up. You can only book 9 holes and have to check in with the pro shop at end of 9 to see if there is a chance for 18. Singles and twosomes until 3pm and then 3somes and up after that.

Called this morning and was able to book tonight and Wednesday. It was weird to see the course so quiet but have to admit it was kind of enjoyable! Nice to play with the 11 year and old not have to feel crazy rushed the whole time. Played in 1:40
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:52 PM   #4082
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leondros View Post
Glencoe. Same as the Forest - its a long hike back. Unless we are talking about the same course!

All about finding the twilight routes that maximize holes played.

i.e. 1-4 Forest, take a peek down the Meadows to see if it's busy. If not then it's 4-5 Lakes, play 7 from 6 teebox. Enough light for a couple more holes? 2 Lakes and back in on 8 Slopes before finishing on 9.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2021, 07:39 AM   #4083
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ArmBands View Post
Got in 9 holes this evening with my daughter. I think my course has done a pretty good job with the way they have set things up. You can only book 9 holes and have to check in with the pro shop at end of 9 to see if there is a chance for 18. Singles and twosomes until 3pm and then 3somes and up after that.

Called this morning and was able to book tonight and Wednesday. It was weird to see the course so quiet but have to admit it was kind of enjoyable! Nice to play with the 11 year and old not have to feel crazy rushed the whole time. Played in 1:40
Same scenario for me. Decided in the afternoon to have a look to see what was available. Surprisingly more than I thought - I opted for a later tee time to go with my kids (beginners). Started at 7:45 - and we got 9 holes in.

Was also able to book for tonight, Thursday, and Friday as well.
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:28 AM   #4084
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I cancelled our Monday time due to the weather and the forecast. Got an email from the course the next day saying all tee times for the week cancelled and to call for new times. They won't book more than twosomes but will put two- twosomes together even if not from the same household, not sure how that makes sense but I guess would work for us if we wanted to go as a family.

May not matter now anyway, it will be tough finding time to go for the next few months anyhow.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 02:21 PM   #4085
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

River's Edge is booking tee times every 4 minutes? Even with two people is 4 minutes not going to cause a massive backup as soon as one person stops to look for a ball?
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 02:37 PM   #4086
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

In golf and at any hole, the only two times golfers will congregate are at the T box and Green.

Let's say player 1 tee off, then move to the side 50 yards and let player 2 tee off then player 3 and 4 and so on. On the fairway, people generally will be 100s of yards away anyway so that's not a problem. Once everyone hits the ball to the Green, players will take turn going up to the green and putt so the foursome will not be on the green at the same time.

The first one to the Green will head to the next T box and hit, then step aside like 50 yards. The foursome will move off the tee box with each player basically 50 yards apart so that AHS couldn't say they are golfing together.

This way, tee times could be spaced out at 2 minutes apart and solve this unnecessary problem we are facing now. Agreed?
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 03:05 PM   #4087
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
In golf and at any hole, the only two times golfers will congregate are at the T box and Green.

Let's say player 1 tee off, then move to the side 50 yards and let player 2 tee off then player 3 and 4 and so on. On the fairway, people generally will be 100s of yards away anyway so that's not a problem. Once everyone hits the ball to the Green, players will take turn going up to the green and putt so the foursome will not be on the green at the same time.

The first one to the Green will head to the next T box and hit, then step aside like 50 yards. The foursome will move off the tee box with each player basically 50 yards apart so that AHS couldn't say they are golfing together.

This way, tee times could be spaced out at 2 minutes apart and solve this unnecessary problem we are facing now. Agreed?
I agree that this would work, however the problem would be that most would still play as if they are a foursome, which would lead to either the course having to ban the players or the course being fined for not following AHS rules, or both. And nobody wants either. Most clubs have gone with the KISS formula and I don't blame.
Old 05-11-2021, 03:13 PM   #4088
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
I agree that this would work, however the problem would be that most would still play as if they are a foursome, which would lead to either the course having to ban the players or the course being fined for not following AHS rules, or both. And nobody wants either. Most clubs have gone with the KISS formula and I don't blame.
The purpose of my plan is to adhere with the AHS golfing alone rule. The foursome will not tee off together nor get on to the green at the same time. So the foursome is not a foursome but 4 singles.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 03:49 PM   #4089
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Tried the golfing solo this morning. My course was mostly empty due to the cold weather so i decided to take a power cart as opposed to walking. Played through one couple and ended up playing 18 holes in 2 hours and 15 minutes.

It was boring not having anyone to talk with so I decided take my bluetooth speaker and music out with me for the rest of my rounds this week.
Old 05-11-2021, 03:57 PM   #4090
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did you play well though, Dion? I’ve debated a cart as last night I played 18 and was so tired by the end, that my game completely fell apart. I think my nightmare would be a solo round and hole in one though!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 04:33 PM   #4091
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Did you play well though, Dion? I’ve debated a cart as last night I played 18 and was so tired by the end, that my game completely fell apart. I think my nightmare would be a solo round and hole in one though!
I had my best round of the year, which totally surprised me. I always walk the course and tend to play better as you have more time to think and plan your next shot as you're walking up to your ball. My body was more relaxed than usuall and didn't feel tight when swinging the clubs.

As for the hole in one sinerio, I hear you. Mind you, with clubhouses closed you'd escape the buying everyone one a round and the expensive bar tab afterwards
Old 05-11-2021, 06:31 PM   #4092
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Tried the golfing solo this morning. My course was mostly empty due to the cold weather so i decided to take a power cart as opposed to walking. Played through one couple and ended up playing 18 holes in 2 hours and 15 minutes.

It was boring not having anyone to talk with so I decided take my bluetooth speaker and music out with me for the rest of my rounds this week.
Golfing with a podcast on is amazing. I did it a few times while I was on gardening leave between gigs. Drop my partner at work in the morning, play 18holes with a podcast in, have a wrap, hit the beach for a surf, hit the gym, and then pick the gf back up for the drive home.

Luckily I never came close to a hole in one on any of those rounds. Ha.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 07:18 PM   #4093
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish I could play solo.
Would be so easy to plan and just go when convenient.

Unfortunately it's so busy everywhere in Vancouver right now you'd get added to a group for sure.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 01:27 PM   #4094
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Does Kananaskis just open the online bookings wide at the start of the season? You can't get a time other than 630 am or 5 pm even in june or july.

Been looking for short notice too like next few days as someone said people just book and cancel and still nothing.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 02:07 PM   #4095
daredevil
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yes they had a live date for bookings in March sometime I think.

I could be mistaken here but: I think Kananaskis is considered low risk zone by AHS - and since no one really lives there the count of COVID cases won't ever grow.
So... it's one of the FEW places you can still play with people outside your family.
Only 1 person per cart and max 2 carts per group guaranteed.

Usually there are lots of cancellations last minute, but perhaps this is why there isn't?

And if you're a person who digs on conspiracy, I believe it's the only AB course owned by the AB gov't?
daredevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 02:39 PM   #4096
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Does Kananaskis just open the online bookings wide at the start of the season? You can't get a time other than 630 am or 5 pm even in june or july.

Been looking for short notice too like next few days as someone said people just book and cancel and still nothing.
Yah they book early. I think it’s 72 hour cancellation so you have to look 3 days ahead.

This year may be real hard to get out there.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 02:59 PM   #4097
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
Yes they had a live date for bookings in March sometime I think.

I could be mistaken here but: I think Kananaskis is considered low risk zone by AHS - and since no one really lives there the count of COVID cases won't ever grow.
So... it's one of the FEW places you can still play with people outside your family.
Only 1 person per cart and max 2 carts per group guaranteed.

Usually there are lots of cancellations last minute, but perhaps this is why there isn't?

And if you're a person who digs on conspiracy, I believe it's the only AB course owned by the AB gov't?
It was an absolute nightmare when they opened booking and their website sucks. I just gave up after 2 hours of trying to navigate to find a usable tee time.
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 03:36 PM   #4098
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Golfing alone was weird but boy did the round go fast. Great day to golf.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 03:51 PM   #4099
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain_e View Post
River's Edge is booking tee times every 4 minutes? Even with two people is 4 minutes not going to cause a massive backup as soon as one person stops to look for a ball?
Pace was garbage today. 2 hours for 9 holes for a single.
Old 05-12-2021, 03:56 PM   #4100
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Pace was garbage today. 2 hours for 9 holes for a single.
That is rough. I've got one of those Clic Gear buggies, and I bought the seat attachment specifically for those days. I find I use it more for a beer table though when I'm hitting my shot.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow