Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-06-2021, 06:21 AM   #561
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the max height in Calgary is ~13', so you would need a design permit, I believe. Unless they offer exceptions to the BP easier than I thought...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 11:01 AM   #562
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

^ I think you mean "Development Permit"
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 11:02 AM   #563
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
^ I think you mean "Development Permit"
I certainly did! I blame 6:20am posting.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 11:31 AM   #564
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

From what I've read so far it was 15' at peak and just under 10 feet at the walls. Even with the right trusses I don't see how you're getting 12 foot ceilings except for the middle. I'm curious to know how it's done.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 11:50 AM   #565
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah, yes I just looked back at my documents. Walls 9'10" and height 15'1" are max. Mine has a peak at 13'. I use scissor trusses which give you more headroom, so inside I have just under 11' at the peak. My walls are 9', and a width of 22 feet.

Increasing the roof height to 15'1" to increase pitch and raising the walls 10 more inches would give you 13' at the centre, but how far out that would span would require math.
Old 05-06-2021, 11:52 AM   #566
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ah, yes I just looked back at my documents. Walls 9'10" and height 15'1" are max. Mine has a peak at 13'. I use scissor trusses which give you more headroom, so inside I have just under 11' at the peak. My walls are 9', and a width of 22 feet.

Increasing the roof height to 15'1" to increase pitch and raising the walls 10 more inches would give you 13' at the centre, but how far out that would span would require math.
What's the point of a tall garage if you can only have a lift in the middle?! I DEMAND ANSWERS! Damn you, City of Calgary.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 12:01 PM   #567
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well you could do a flat roof, if you like leaks.

But if you did the lift on one side, you'd probably still have enough space. The lift will have to be out from the wall a bit, then the car even further over. I have no idea how high the posts are, but if that is the limit, a post could be placed between the trusses, which gives an extra 2 feet.
Old 05-07-2021, 12:12 AM   #568
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Retractable roof is what you need.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:16 AM   #569
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Random question.

We have a drain the previous owners put into our garage, I assume it connects to the storm system. Everyone says it must be nice, but frankly, the one time a year I use it, washing out my garage in the spring, its a pain as the garage is mostly properly slopped to it, and it backs up and drains slow. This doesn't allow me to simply spray the dirt forward to my driveway which is sloped to the street (which I then use the lovely City Street cleaners to pick it up) as the water comes back to the middle of the garage.

Are there any City approved legal products I could put down this drain to clear it? Or If I really want this I am looking at hydrovac to handle the years of dirt and rock probably in it? I am thinking its gravity so the rock is likely pushed through but its backed up with dirt that even if a low chance of success, some legal product may help.

The drain cap is 6" in diameter, and it feels like there is a lot of dirty near the surface.

Follow-up, any approved soaps I can use on my garage flow with my high pressure washer? The concrete has some sort of nice lacquer that seems to be quite durable.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:19 AM   #570
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's possible it's just draining under your slab into gravel. I'm not sure how it would get into the storm drain system, as you don't have a connection at yuor home for that. Either way, you don't want to use any soap either, it's not allowed. Water only. When you pull the drain cover and try snaking it to see if you hit gravel?
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2021, 12:41 PM   #571
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

We had floor drains put in our attached garage and they go back into the house and are tired into the sanitary connection. I'd guess its tied to sanitary and its probably slow draining because its full of gravel.

Is it an attached garage and is there a drain pipe coming into the basement?
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2021, 01:57 PM   #572
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
We had floor drains put in our attached garage and they go back into the house and are tired into the sanitary connection. I'd guess its tied to sanitary and its probably slow draining because its full of gravel.

Mine is setup this way. I have a big P trap in my basement from the attached garage drain.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 03:18 PM   #573
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone ever used one of the snowmelt systems in their asphalt for their driveway? Been looking into this and while expensive there are quite a few different ways to do this. Either electrical or hydronics attached to your garage heating seems the most logical.
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 03:30 PM   #574
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's possible it's just draining under your slab into gravel. I'm not sure how it would get into the storm drain system, as you don't have a connection at yuor home for that. Either way, you don't want to use any soap either, it's not allowed. Water only. When you pull the drain cover and try snaking it to see if you hit gravel?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post

So, either I am not strong enough to yank the cap, or it doesn't come off.

The garage is attached, and the floor is at the same elevation as the basement floor, so any connection to sanitary would have to be below ground, not visible.

Last edited by Mull; 05-10-2021 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:30 PM   #575
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leondros View Post
Anyone ever used one of the snowmelt systems in their asphalt for their driveway? Been looking into this and while expensive there are quite a few different ways to do this. Either electrical or hydronics attached to your garage heating seems the most logical.
I haven't but make sure you factor in operating cost and not just capital cost. I understand the heating requirements when it is -30 (or whatever coldest temperature we get snow at) out can be a lot, but never looked into it. I would wonder if there are smart systems that only turn on when it snows, with manual overrides, as you wouldn't want it on consistently I wouldn't think ($$$).

Last edited by Mull; 05-10-2021 at 03:36 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mull For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2021, 03:39 PM   #576
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
we rely on our shovel and chinooks and that seems to work well consistently.
That being said yeah I wish we had under-heat to just take care of the snow although I suspect that would come with some costs and other challenges.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2021, 04:13 PM   #577
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
we rely on our shovel and chinooks and that seems to work well consistently.
That being said yeah I wish we had under-heat to just take care of the snow although I suspect that would come with some costs and other challenges.
For what its worth I inquired with a few places and its hella expensive. Like so expensive you could pay a snow removal company for 20 years to clear it and still be out on top...
The Following User Says Thank You to Leondros For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2021, 03:28 PM   #578
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Another question - if you could use any heating system for your detached garage what would it be and why? I am looking for something that is reasonable from a capital perspective but is also efficient.

Background is the following:

The garage will be completely underground
It will be roughly 32 feet by 40 feet and 12 feet tall.
The full slab will be insulated and poly'd for future epoxy/finishing.
We will be spray foaming the whole thing including the steel decking roof.

I am currently split between using the natural gas heater (standard ceiling mounted), an electric unit of a similar nature, or a boiler hydronics heating using coiled radiant heating.

We looked at in-slab but the cost of adding a couple inches to the slab to accommodate and the pricing of the coiling needed within the slab was very very expensive. I did hear it was the most efficient.

Secondly, does anyone have any suggestions on good garage doors with good R values?

Thanks!
Old 05-17-2021, 03:39 PM   #579
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Another question - if you could use any heating system for your detached garage what would it be and why? I am looking for something that is reasonable from a capital perspective but is also efficient.

Background is the following:

The garage will be completely underground
It will be roughly 32 feet by 40 feet and 12 feet tall.
The full slab will be insulated and poly'd for future epoxy/finishing.
We will be spray foaming the whole thing including the steel decking roof.

I am currently split between using the natural gas heater (standard ceiling mounted), an electric unit of a similar nature, or a boiler hydronics heating using coiled radiant heating.

We looked at in-slab but the cost of adding a couple inches to the slab to accommodate and the pricing of the coiling needed within the slab was very very expensive. I did hear it was the most efficient.

Secondly, does anyone have any suggestions on good garage doors with good R values?

Thanks!
Natural gas heater and underground? be sure to consider venting of emissions, adequate air changes, and CO2 detection.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2021, 03:41 PM   #580
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My door is a Steelcraft Thermocraft. It's been great for me, and Canadian made.

For that size garage electric heat is going to be really expensive to run. I've got a 50,000BTU gas heater for 22x32'. You might want to go one size bigger, but it heats mine up quickly, and can maintain the heat no problem. The heater itself is fairly cheap, I think $750 with a ceiling vent? Ge the gas line put in at construction time and it won't be that big a cost, unless you have a tricky situation getting it from the house.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:

Tags
diy , garage , oh ####