Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2018, 07:48 AM   #1
BurningSteel
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Flames Owners are good guys

https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/co...-gave-her-life

Good read. Also another "benefit" of having a pro hockey team here. I imagine there are many more stories similar in nature.
BurningSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:03 AM   #2
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

But this goes against some people's agendas that Flames owners are nothing but thieving parasites that hurt fuzzy little animals. This will dampen their ability to be outraged.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:36 AM   #3
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
But this goes against some people's agendas that Flames owners are nothing but thieving parasites that hurt fuzzy little animals. This will dampen their ability to be outraged.
Oh f--kin' please. The outrage has largely been targeted at Murray Edwards, and particularly heightened after it was revealed he changed his residency to London UK to avoid paying taxes... while trying to ensure that he got a shiny new toy using our taxes.

I've always heard Allan Markin's a good guy, my FIL knows him; they're neighbours.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:42 AM   #4
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Zomg guys. At the bottom of the arena debacle is the following:

1) it's not economic to build, or it would have already been built with private money. The gap between the cost (450-600m) and private benefit ($200-250m) is substantial

2) the flames are asking for public money to cover the difference between the private benefit and the cost. That isn't unreasonable.

3) it's not clear that the public benefit is as high as the subsidy the flames are asking for. If the public benefit doesn't exceed the public cost, the city can't agree to these terms. That also isn't unreasonable.

It's not personal and no one is being unreasonable. What's made it personal is Ken King and other staff taking shots at nenshi. And nenshi taking shots back.

It doesn't matter how good of people the flames owners are. If the public benefit doesn't meet or exceed the ask for public funds, we shouldn't use public funds to build it. If it does, then we should.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 08:42 AM   #5
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Markin is definitely an interesting character. Met him while he was still at CNRL before he was forced out.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:50 AM   #6
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post

1) it's not economic to build, or it would have already been built with private money. The gap between the cost (450-600m) and private benefit ($200-250m) is substantial

2) the flames are asking for public money to cover the difference between the private benefit and the cost. That isn't unreasonable.

3) it's not clear that the public benefit is as high as the subsidy the flames are asking for. If the public benefit doesn't exceed the public cost, the city can't agree to these terms. That also isn't unreasonable.

It's not personal and no one is being unreasonable. What's made it personal is Ken King and other staff taking shots at nenshi. And nenshi taking shots back.

It doesn't matter how good of people the flames owners are. If the public benefit doesn't meet or exceed the ask for public funds, we shouldn't use public funds to build it. If it does, then we should.
All true, plus:

4) Public benefit is a nebulous concept involving tangible and intangible aspects.

5) If the City can't agree to terms and the present situation is uneconomical for the team, there's really only one solution.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 09:16 AM   #7
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dont know if people have thought that the owners arent good people and even more, good Calgarians.

Unfortunately this is where the age old adage of 'its just business' seems to fall down.

They're doing what they're doing for the sake of their business, that doesnt make them good or bad people, but at the same time the City is doing what its doing for its constituents which puts people at odds and makes fans conflicted.

As fans of the team and citizens of the city we are placed in the unenviable position of being on both sides of the argument.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 09:21 AM   #8
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames owners past and present are terrific people. Most of the owners started from humble beginnings and built their wealth through hard work and keeping that same character. Only fitting and not surprising how they give back to the community. Touching story about Amanda Lindhout.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:47 AM   #9
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, I'm sure some of them are good people.

No, it doesn't mean they deserve lots of public tax money.

EDIT: I write English good.

Last edited by Shazam; 10-16-2018 at 10:22 AM.
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shazam For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 09:51 AM   #10
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I really wish you let at least post #2 be focused on talking about this article rather than dumping on people's opinion.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 10:03 AM   #11
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's too bad that "agendas" are getting in the way of simply a nice story about kindness and generosity.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 10:08 AM   #12
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The owners employ Ken King, maybe they should look at hiring a better person to represent them then a guy who most of the fan base thinks is an incompetent boob.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 10:11 AM   #13
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
The owners employ Ken King, maybe they should look at hiring a better person to represent them then a guy who most of the fan base thinks is an incompetent boob.
The owners of NHL Franchises employ Gary Bettman. The fact that he does a good job aside, they do it so that he can be the Villain.

Individual owners are no different. King is the frontman. Sometimes thats all awesome and sometimes that sucks. Its his job.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 10:16 AM   #14
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post

The owners know much more about the business of the Flames, how it’s run and represented than you, myself and the entire fan base. From their perspective, who cares if the fans think KK is not running the business properly. It’s their company to run as they see fit.
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:34 AM   #15
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd love to get back to this if we can:
"“I’m just so humbled and grateful that Amanda is alive,” the 72-year-old philanthropist said of Saturday evening. “But you know, I’m nobody in particular,” he added, modestly.

Markin acknowledged that he cut a cheque for $750,000, “back at a time when I had too much money,” to ensure Lindhout’s release from 460 days of captivity, that included bouts of torture and almost daily rapes from multiple captors."

Out here I don't know much about the owners besides what's written on CP, so I don't know much about Allan Markin. But wow, that's the kind of guy you're proud to share a country with - let alone a hockey team!
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 11:10 AM   #16
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
It's not personal and no one is being unreasonable.
That's your opinion... my opinion is that the Flames are being very unreasonable and I consider the level of deception coming from Ken King to be of such a level that it basically constitutes lying. YMMV but I consider someone lying to the public in order to extract money from the public (of which I am a part) to be personal.

God I hope he's fired or sent into "voluntary" retirement. If he'd been a straight shooter about the whole thing from the start it might be different but instead he's been a smarmy deceiver at every opportunity.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:16 AM   #17
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
That's your opinion... my opinion is that the Flames are being very unreasonable and I consider the level of deception coming from Ken King to be of such a level that it basically constitutes lying. YMMV but I consider someone lying to the public in order to extract money from the public (of which I am a part) to be personal.

God I hope he's fired or sent into "voluntary" retirement. If he'd been a straight shooter about the whole thing from the start it might be different but instead he's been a smarmy deceiver at every opportunity.
yep back on topic ...
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:18 AM   #18
Cycling76er
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is this a Sam Bennett thread yet?
Cycling76er is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cycling76er For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 11:24 AM   #19
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
yep back on topic ...
Shrug... maybe Rotten and Gull et al shouldn't have changed it then?

Yes, Markin did a wonderful thing... and if other folk had let the conversation be just about that wonderful thing I'd have either commented on just that. If you want to go delete every comment that isn't implicitly or explicitly about that I won't object.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 11:49 AM   #20
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Shrug... maybe Rotten and Gull et al shouldn't have changed it then?

Yes, Markin did a wonderful thing... and if other folk had let the conversation be just about that wonderful thing I'd have either commented on just that. If you want to go delete every comment that isn't implicitly or explicitly about that I won't object.
The post right above you made an attempt to put things back on track.

But all good, we certainly need another topic hammering on King and the owners.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote