Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2018, 08:27 AM   #21
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah, I thought it was under $100 last year, but I guess that was 2 years ago. At some point they are going to price everyone out of the sport.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:37 AM   #22
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ah, I thought it was under $100 last year, but I guess that was 2 years ago. At some point they are going to price everyone out of the sport.
I don't know how anyone can justify trying to learn to ski or snowboard. I'm a really good skier and I can't justify paying these costs to go.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:54 AM   #23
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl888 View Post
Day lift ticket to Louise is $114 for 18/19 season. This is getting ridiculous. I might get the Mountain Collective again.
I saw that price. Sunshine hasn’t posted their daily lift tickets yet but I assume they will be priced similarly.

I’m leaning towards the Mountain Collective pass.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:35 AM   #24
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whats the appeal of the Mountain Collective?

You have to do 2 days at revy, sunshine, and lake louise to pay it off at a minimum. I only see value if you do a USA trip. Especially with the options of kijiji passes, costco, ski cards etc..

I guess you get 50% off the Ski big 3 rate, anyone know what that is?

Last edited by Weitz; 10-12-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:37 AM   #25
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

if you paid the daily rate and skiied for 6hrs, your cost per hour is around $20. which in itself is not far off of a round of golf.

However, the cost does not factor in driving to/from the hill and the cost of admission to the park. when those are stirred in, the gap really starts to widen.

i'd call the cost of clubs versus ski gear a bit of a wash
Old 10-12-2018, 11:10 AM   #26
Chingyul
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Who has early tune up specials?
Chingyul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:17 AM   #27
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingyul View Post
Who has early tune up specials?
I don't think sportsrent has their october special this year sadly.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:20 AM   #28
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I don't know how anyone can justify trying to learn to ski or snowboard. I'm a really good skier and I can't justify paying these costs to go.
Well compare it to going out for dinner and going to the movies. For $110 you're in the mountains, active, and doing a generally social activity for 8 hours. Opposed to sitting in a movie theater and then at dinner for probably near the same price for only a few hours without any activity.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:36 AM   #29
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I would say dinner and a movie would be less than $110 per person- that may even be the cost for two people.

For two people, your need two lift tickets, plus $20 for gas, $20 for park entry (or portion of annual pass), and $20 each for lunch there.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your logic in trying to justify it.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:10 PM   #30
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

$20 for gas... I wish. Maybe 15 years ago.

I'd say at this point, it costs me $50 for gas both ways to Louise, $30 for food (Whitehorn lunch ftw), and whatever the annualized portion of my season's pass is (~$30), and the annualized portion of my park pass ($5). Add tax, and you're at $120.

If you had to do it by lift tickets and park entry and all of that on an individual trip basis, for two people, you're probably somewhere around $300 for the day.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:41 PM   #31
sl888
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I had a feeling we would see a bump in price this year. My Canadian Ski Council cards cost me $1531 this year versus $1276 last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
I saw that price. Sunshine hasn’t posted their daily lift tickets yet but I assume they will be priced similarly.
I’m leaning towards the Mountain Collective pass.
I'll wait till mid-November, hoping they are gonna do the CAD deal again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Whats the appeal of the Mountain Collective?
You have to do 2 days at revy, sunshine, and lake louise to pay it off at a minimum. I only see value if you do a USA trip. Especially with the options of kijiji passes, costco, ski cards etc..
I guess you get 50% off the Ski big 3 rate, anyone know what that is?
You get 50% off window price, so around $60 for additional days. I believe pricing is in line with ski cards with more savings in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
I don't think sportsrent has their october special this year sadly.
I just gave them a call, $30 special is on!
sl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:55 PM   #32
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'll wait till mid-November, hoping they are gonna do the CAD deal again
What was the CAD deal price? I did a quick search and saw $70 off.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:20 PM   #33
sl888
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
What was the CAD deal price? I did a quick search and saw $70 off.
Purchase the Mountain Collective at par, so it was $489 CAD instead of $489 USD.
The Following User Says Thank You to sl888 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 04:36 PM   #34
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I had a feeling we would see a bump in price this year. My Canadian Ski Council cards cost me $1531 this year versus $1276 last year.

I'll wait till mid-November, hoping they are gonna do the CAD deal again.

You get 50% off window price, so around $60 for additional days. I believe pricing is in line with ski cards with more savings in the long run.

I just gave them a call, $30 special is on!
Oh great! I checked around and couldn't find anything. Royal board shop has a groupon for $38 as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I would say dinner and a movie would be less than $110 per person- that may even be the cost for two people.

For two people, your need two lift tickets, plus $20 for gas, $20 for park entry (or portion of annual pass), and $20 each for lunch there.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your logic in trying to justify it.
For sure, but you're also sitting around doing nothing active. So $15 ticket + $10 snacks + $50 meal and drink. That's pretty standard for people to do at least once a week. So going skiing twice a month really doesn't seem that much more of a cost plus extra time of enjoyment and activity.

I never pay window price though. There are louise cards, AMA and costco passes, etc. Plus a group of us carpool and share one park pass.

I just look at my own budget and never second guess skiing or sports costs. They're well worth the price. It does suck the price seems to go up every single year now though.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:42 PM   #35
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I didn’t know Sunshine sold a spring pass. That sounds like a pretty nice option given the price.

It is a good deal. Particularly when they run the Fat Tuesday sale. You usually get 30% off the Spring Pass price.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 04:44 PM   #36
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And don't have RCR on board this year.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:00 PM   #37
sl888
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
And don't have RCR on board this year.
WTF?!?! How did I miss that? This sucks!
Old 10-13-2018, 12:28 PM   #38
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
WTF?!?! How did I miss that? This sucks!
Ha I did too.

I was offered the gold -> diamond upgrade for my initial price, which is when I actually read the hill list. Saw RCR bailed, and asked if that was new with the changes too. Rep said that was posted in the list before the tiers changed (before I purchased), so there's nothing they could do.

These collective/epic/ikon passes IMO are the worst thing to happen to lift tickets in recent history. It's going to be like streaming services soon (already is, I guess) with every mega-corporation catering to their own factions. So you'll need 4 freaking 'collective' passes to ski at 3 hills.

Hopefully the resort ski cards remain in existence. Those seem to be the best bet for cost vs risk, outside of a season pass, but I prefer to chase storms.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:31 PM   #39
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You get 50% off window price, so around $60 for additional days.
Keep in mind, for LL and SSV, they use the day rate for the SkiBig3 pass. I can't find rates, but reading between the lines and looking at the 3 day rate, you're going to be saving around $50 or less.

I can't imagine they'd use that rate if you saved more than if they used the walk up window rate.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:42 PM   #40
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anybody looking to do a Norquay power of 4 pass? looks like they've knocked the price up, but still a good deal if you have mid-week flexibility...
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote