Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-09-2018, 02:47 PM   #201
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

You need to adjust how you play.

This year I find there to be a perfect balance. There are situations where physical contact is required to defend, where the poke check is effective, and where the stick lift is effective. Defence now feels like a properly balanced skill, and it's effective when done properly.

Thanks to the improved skating and puck physics, offense has never been better.

This is the best the game has been balanced in years, and absolutely trounces '18 in my opinion.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2018, 02:57 PM   #202
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

This year I find there to be a perfect balance. There are situations where physical contact is required to defend, where the poke check is effective, and where the stick lift is effective. Defence now feels like a properly balanced skill, and it's effective when done properly.

This is the best the game has been balanced in years, and absolutely trounces '18 in my opinion.
I absolutely agree, stick lift is a way more viable option especially whenever you're in close or along the boards. I play a lot of RD in EASHL and I still use poke check effectively without tripping but you just can't ever press that dam R1 button while you're behind or even beside the puck carrier, once you learn to press X instead you'll be golden.

I actually liked the skating & turning a lot more before the recent tuner patch, the game now feels much more like NHL 18 then it did in the NHL 19 beta but I knew EA was going to eventually do this. I still enjoy the gameplay but maybe by some miracle the powers that be will change it back or I'll just keep dreaming.

Sent from my SM-T377W using Tapatalk
Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Iceman57 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2018, 06:30 PM   #203
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
But IMO what's even dumber is ONCE AGAIN the lack of OTP mode that every single other version of the game had except for last year and now this year. Now maybe I'm dumb and it's hidden somewhere. But the 6 vs 6 mode that was fun to play is actually gone. Now if you want 6 vs 6, it has to be with your created character in HUT mode. Whomever made that decision is an idiot and deserves to be called out for it. Now I get to enjoy playing my crappy HUT character against people who have higher level characters. Put back in the original 6 vs 6 OTP mode that was a part of the series for 12 years. Don't mess with it.

I'm one of those annoying people who seeming complains about the game every year. But really it's these tiny things that EA never seems to correct that just makes it frustrating. The actual game play itself has its nuances, but overall it's a decent game of hockey. But pausing online games, Powerpoint laggy menus, removing features (6vs6!!!). It's things like this that hold the game back. Essentially every year is just dust off the ol' temple and apply a fresh coat of paint.
Personally I only play EASHL, Ones & Be a GM but isn't the game mode titled "NHL Versus" your regular run-of-the-mill 6 v 6 online mode?

Last edited by Iceman57; 10-09-2018 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:28 AM   #204
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Online is frustrating me more specifically the drop in 3vs3. Just like every year it seems people find that cheap place to shoot from that goes in effortlessly every time. Then there is the hitting, I get that its an arcade type game mode but seriously I'm not in the play and get laid out and I'm on the ice for up to 10 seconds. I'm just getting old I think.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:19 AM   #205
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

I hate that I agree with you because it means I'm gonna be out $90 very soon.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:35 AM   #206
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have also found that the defensive skill stick is a lot more helpful taking away the passing lanes.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:01 AM   #207
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman57 View Post
I actually liked the skating & turning a lot more before the recent tuner patch, the game now feels much more like NHL 18 then it did in the NHL 19 beta but I knew EA was going to eventually do this.
They always do that when they change skating - make a major improvement, then nerf it in an update. I think it's happened at least 3 times now. I'm trying to remember, was it NHL 13 where they originally introduced actual realistic skating physics? Like, you couldn't really catch up to people very easily if they had a step, and if you turned the wrong way you'd get caught flat footed and give up a breakaway pretty consistently? I remember being impressed, but then the usual crew of thirteen year olds who make up (apparently) the core consumer base for the product whined that it wasn't the same as it was the year before and so they just changed it back to how it had always been.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2018, 08:40 PM   #208
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's really too bad they turfed all the progress they made this year with the patch. The game just doesn't feel the same now. Much more like 18.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2018, 10:48 PM   #209
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
It's really too bad they turfed all the progress they made this year with the patch. The game just doesn't feel the same now. Much more like 18.
Right, it's extremely demoralizing. The beta was so much fun and at release the game still felt great but now it's practically back to an unplayable NHL 18 clone.

So disappointing, guess it's back to Destiny

Old 10-14-2018, 10:16 AM   #210
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Skater responsiveness and agility have been completely nerfed, so it's back to trying to maneuver a bunch of Buicks in a physics environment set-up for Fiats (they look agile to me, alright?).

Now I can't counteract some of the stupid mechanics the game has. The board-pin feature is so fundamentally broken and ridiculous. If you're within 2 feet of the boards, no matter which way you're facing or how fast you're going, the CPU will pin you. Before the patch I can pivot quickly and accelerate away. Not anymore.

Same goes with the CPU never allowing any gaps. There is no such thing as a breakaway for user-controlled players in this game as the CPU will catch you every time. Before the patch I had a fighting chance to stay ahead of the defender, now it's back to impossible. Same goes with trying to create space. Zero acceleration and reduced agility makes it near impossible to create any space to do anything effective.

While I'm complaining, why can't I make any trades once the season is over? Why do I have to wait until draft day, and why do I only have 3 minutes to make a trade? These mini-game elements need to at least incorporate reality, like being able to make a trade in June outside of the mini-game.

And what's the point of 'Trade Value' if it's just a guessing game anyway? And teams way over value draft picks.

/Whine Mode

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:33 AM   #211
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I have to assume they'll dial it back a bit. I haven't seen this strong a response over a tuner in a while.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:55 PM   #212
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman57 View Post
Personally I only play EASHL, Ones & Be a GM but isn't the game mode titled "NHL Versus" your regular run-of-the-mill 6 v 6 online mode?

Nope that's your standard vs mode. If you play on competitive, it's 1v1. Casual can be more players, but it's only 1 console vs 1 console.

Such a stupid decision to remove the full 6v6 multiplayer. Like, it's a damn hockey game. Why would you remove that main multiplayer feature?

Then again I'm playing the 10 hour demo, so maybe someone who has the full version can chime in if it's in the full version.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:26 PM   #213
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Nope that's your standard vs mode. If you play on competitive, it's 1v1. Casual can be more players, but it's only 1 console vs 1 console.

Such a stupid decision to remove the full 6v6 multiplayer. Like, it's a damn hockey game. Why would you remove that main multiplayer feature?

Then again I'm playing the 10 hour demo, so maybe someone who has the full version can chime in if it's in the full version.
Wait...what, lol?

My bad dude, I obviously must have misunderstood your original post. I purchased the early version of the game and the only 6 v 6 mode that I have ever known is EASHL. This is where you control one positional player on the ice while your friends control the other five and you play as a team. That mode is absolutely still in the game as it's the main mode I play, lol.

Some of the changes EA has made to that mode is this year EA has inserted several menu screens before you can even find your EASHL club, they now call it World of Chel instead of EASHL, before you could create a player for each position but that's now gone and for Drop-in games you play on an outdoor rink which is still pretty cool but watching that "tree screen" in between the play does get quite old after a while.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:07 PM   #214
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I have to assume they'll dial it back a bit. I haven't seen this strong a response over a tuner in a while.
And yet they won't because it is EA and they have zero competition and people will still buy the same game over and over with just a new paint job.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:32 PM   #215
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
And yet they won't because it is EA and they have zero competition and people will still buy the same game over and over with just a new paint job.
I feel like that actually isn't EAs problem.

Every year I feel like they actually make a bunch of changes that make the game a much better experience.

Then a bunch of people complain about certain things, and how something about the gameplay is broken, since they can no longer spam certain moves or play the same as they did the year before.

Then the first tuner comes out with all the changes based on the feedback and it ends up just being the same game as the year before.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 08:27 PM   #216
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Playing a bit again tonight. I hate how turning up the difficulty doesn't actually make the AI play better, it just makes them intercept and/or deflect every pass even if they're not within stick reach
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 05:05 PM   #217
secol
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sale on the game, so I'll probably hop back into it after being out a few years.....

$49 at EB games, price match at Best Buy and you'll come in under $50 after tax
secol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:03 PM   #218
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I finally picked this up after seeing a price drop and am mostly impressed with the improvements. The game play hasn't really changed in 15 years however they made some good tweaks which make fore checking and defensive play easier and more realistic. Also it seems like they have removed a few ways to score glitch goals which is always good.

One thing that has always bugged me though is the difficulty. When I play on Pro almost every game is a 6-1 win where there is lots of open ice and I out shoot the other team 40-14 but when I move up to All Star almost every game is a nail biting 2-1 loss where open ice is a novelty and I am out shot 25-15. It's not like the CPU is playing any better when I up the difficultly they just get faster and better at blocking passes and shots. Maybe I need a bigger adjustment in my style of play when going up a difficulty but it does seems like a bad game design to not offer a difficultly level that provides an appropriate challenge for me.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:58 PM   #219
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I finally picked this up after seeing a price drop and am mostly impressed with the improvements. The game play hasn't really changed in 15 years however they made some good tweaks which make fore checking and defensive play easier and more realistic. Also it seems like they have removed a few ways to score glitch goals which is always good.

One thing that has always bugged me though is the difficulty. When I play on Pro almost every game is a 6-1 win where there is lots of open ice and I out shoot the other team 40-14 but when I move up to All Star almost every game is a nail biting 2-1 loss where open ice is a novelty and I am out shot 25-15. It's not like the CPU is playing any better when I up the difficultly they just get faster and better at blocking passes and shots. Maybe I need a bigger adjustment in my style of play when going up a difficulty but it does seems like a bad game design to not offer a difficultly level that provides an appropriate challenge for me.
I can't stand that either. To me it seems like the AI just isn't that good at positioning so difficulty just makes them pass better, shoot lazers, and turn into puck magnets that intercept every puck even if it's not within reach.

It's why I pretty much only play Franchise mode now and simulate 90% of the actual games
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:42 AM   #220
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fifa 19 and nhl 19 sell digital for 100 bucks in a combo. Not a bad deal.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote