- Flames respond from a penalty shot
- 5 Flames forward 25 and under score the goals
- Calgary has 5 straight wins
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:02 PM   #2
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I can't believe how much of a difference the duo of Jankowski and Hathaway have made to this team. Their 2 way play has been stellar and has helped to shore up the PK and defensive end of the game.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:08 PM   #3
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Nice writeup. Another situation where a game actually well played is sullied by advanced stats
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:22 PM   #4
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

I agree Brouwer has looked better for a while. I do think though that whether or not he was the target of the rant, he has responded the last couple games huge. Love seeing fire in him again.

Stajan is also working real well on that 4th line. I just don't think there was chemistry with the old guys and they didn't play off each others strengths. Having two speedy wingers crash and bang lets Stajan relax and focus more on positioning and defense and not feel like he has to be the one crashing and banging. He also acts as the stabilizing "old balls" on the line. I want to see Hrivik, but I think I'd rather see him slot in for Lazar to see what he can do before giving up that veteran presence.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:37 AM   #5
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Nice writeup. Another situation where a game actually well played is sullied by advanced stats
You make advanced stats sound like some omnipotent beast from a move like the conjuring!

The Flames had great goaltending, and great finish, but they got worked for some pretty big stretches in the first and second period last night. Their PK made it through, but that Tampa powerplay was scary.

Take the two points for sure, as the Flames have been on the other side of games like that (6-0 to Ottawa comes to mind), but that wasn't a 5-1 game in terms of play.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:49 AM   #6
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting observation about the PK setup. I'm not sure I like it. They didn't get scored on but the cross-ice passes were going through the middle and some nice chances were setup in the slot. Against Minny and last night too. Luckily they didn't go in but opposition is getting some great looks due to this setup.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:15 AM   #7
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
You make advanced stats sound like some omnipotent beast from a move like the conjuring!

The Flames had great goaltending, and great finish, but they got worked for some pretty big stretches in the first and second period last night. Their PK made it through, but that Tampa powerplay was scary.

Take the two points for sure, as the Flames have been on the other side of games like that (6-0 to Ottawa comes to mind), but that wasn't a 5-1 game in terms of play.
That's how I saw it too. Flames were opportunistic. After getting worked all 2nd period they got 2 late goals. Very fortunate.

Smith was excellent. Best player probably.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:00 AM   #8
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is the best the Flames have been over the whole of the year. Bingo you were correct in saying the Flames were just a bounce away.

Take a bow. You saw this coming and I definitely did not.

Perhaps advanced stats are symptomatic of losing. A winning team is not as concerned with directing shots in the general direction of the opposition goal.

With Frolik out and Brouwer moved up they have won 5 in row against very good teams while being the #1 line in ev strength TOI.

When you are playing very good teams you are hoping to play their best lines even and stopping them from winning the games by themselves.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:06 AM   #9
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just came to tip the cap to Bingo and the article that suggested the Flames were poised to take off.

I didn't agree, personally, for reasons that have already been hashed through. But they are playing better. Period. Their defensive coverage is solid, they are playing with more emotion, they have been resilient, and the offense has returned.

Based on the way they have looked since the new year, I can get fully on board with the team and the style of play (PP not withstanding).

Again, good call Bingo.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:11 AM   #10
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Curious. Did the Flames win the advanced stats battle to match the record?

They didn't last night. How about the other 4 games?
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:34 AM   #11
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Curious. Did the Flames win the advanced stats battle to match the record?

They didn't last night. How about the other 4 games?
No
Yes
Yes
Yes
No

Score adjusted ...

Yes
Yes
Yes
No
No