Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 06:41 PM   #3801
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
It's all crazy, there are probably 5 guys there is just no value in entertaining a trade at all.

Hamilton

Brodie

Gaudreau

Monahan

Tkatchuk

Monahan could probably come off that list with a great Backlund contract. But you want to make sure you have one of the two of them secured.

Dmen like Brodie and Hamilton just don't get traded before they are 30, unless you are Boston or part of the Xenophobic Quebec culture with a flamboyant black kid.

Johnny still doesn't get credit for his true value league wide.

And Tkatchuk is a Gem and a really unique player. If this team is going to preform beyond the sum of its parts a guy like TKatchuk needs be playing on the edge and producing.

Monahan does not come off that list. Best goal scorer on the team and it isn’t close, a centre, and just 23. We can debate whether he is elite or not but he’s a cornerstone regardless. Future captain too.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2017, 06:44 PM   #3802
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we are trading a dman, I would rather it be Giordano. I would rather us move forward with Brodie and Hamilton... and Giordano does have a lot of value himself.

During the off-season:
Trade Troy Brouwer
Mark Stone for Mark Giordano (I am sure one team will add)

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Jankowski-Stone
Bennett-Backlund-Frolik
Mangiapane-Lazar-Hathaway
Klimchuk

Hamilton-Stone
Brodie-Harmonic
Kulak-Andersson
Hamhuis

Smith
Gillies/Rittich

At that point, maybe sign a #7 d-man like Dan Hamhuis (or dare I say it, Bieksa), for some depth.

Last edited by keenan87; 11-12-2017 at 06:46 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2017, 08:04 PM   #3803
camm13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
It's all crazy, there are probably 5 guys there is just no value in entertaining a trade at all.

Hamilton
Brodie
Gaudreau
Monahan
Tkatchuk

Monahan could probably come off that list with a great Backlund contract. But you want to make sure you have one of the two of them secured.

Dmen like Brodie and Hamilton just don't get traded before they are 30, unless you are Boston or part of the Xenophobic Quebec culture with a flamboyant black kid.

Johnny still doesn't get credit for his true value league wide.

And Tkatchuk is a Gem and a really unique player. If this team is going to preform beyond the sum of its parts a guy like TKatchuk needs be playing on the edge and producing.
Tkachuk.
The Following User Says Thank You to camm13 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2017, 11:29 PM   #3804
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camm13 View Post
Tkachuk.
speeling is hrad
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2017, 07:47 AM   #3805
Wyguy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Realistically, what could we get for stone in the draft? Assuming he has a good year on the power play.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:48 AM   #3806
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2017, 10:06 AM   #3807
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyguy View Post
Realistically, what could we get for stone in the draft? Assuming he has a good year on the power play.
Realistically you would get a guy that in 4 or 5 years would have about a 25% chance of being as good as Stone is, a 5% chance of being better and a 70% chance of being a tweener/bust.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2017, 10:28 AM   #3808
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think folks are getting quite worked up about all this Dman trade talk.

My personal view is that, assuming the flames d prospects continue in their progression, at some point, likely in the next year or two, the flames may have the luxury of improving their roster by moving a player from a position of strength. That could mean trading a dman on the roster, heck it could even mean trading a dman prospet who is clearly ready to make an impact at the NHL level.

I don't think anyone is suggesting moving a flames dman today, heck this season. However, i think it's pretty interesting how the available assets on the block could evolve in the coming year or 2.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:39 AM   #3809
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I honestly don't get why people get worked up over us actually having tradable assets. Rather, we should keep everyone because they wear a Flaming C and hold more value to us than others! That's what HF boards is for. I'm not saying we have to make a move, but I wouldn't be mad at a quality for quality trade that would improve the forward depth, especially a RW in the top 6.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:53 AM   #3810
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

but you can't trade him, he's awesome!

or there's the I'll take the mystery box, it could be (whoever is being traded) gif

The team has holes, clearly, and if a deal can be made that helps the team improve more than it regresses the team then a trade should be made. It's all about asset management and I think people get too attached to players and don't want to see them on a different team. Like some people wouldn't trade their crisp $10 bill for 3 $5 bills because they like how crisp the $10 is.

Making a trade for the sake of making a trade is never the answer but a good GM should always be looking into making trades he feels will improve the team (and I think BT does just that as he's rumoured to be in on every trade)
Old 11-13-2017, 11:02 AM   #3811
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Definitely not out of the question we could trade a Dman this year for some help up front.

Kulak and Andersson continuing to impress only increases that. Stone is the likely option for obvious reasons.

That being said, I think Stone could have a big year for us (especially if he starts getting some PP time).
Old 11-13-2017, 11:18 AM   #3812
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Flames absolutely maintain the d corps as is this season. Looking at what Nashville did last year the Flames have a very comparable top 4 and elite veteran goalie so theoretically this team is built for the playoffs.

Depending how the season goes, how the Backlind extension impacts the cap, and if they can sign Fox could result in the Flames shopping a top 4 D this summer.

Theoretically if Kulak improves and Valimaki or Kylington look ready perhaps the Flames shop Brodie this summer? He could absolutely recoup the draft picks they gave up for Hamonic.

If Andersson continues to progress and Fox signs the Flames could very easily move one of Stone or Hamilton. I personally don’t see them moving Hamonic as he was just acquired, his community involvement is HUGE with Burke and the organization, and he really wants to be here. Moving Stone would likely recoup a 2nd round pick and open up some cap and a bottom role for Andersson. Moving Hamilton could be a blockbuster that could bring the Flames a prime asset like a top young player or top draft pick.

If they go the the second round or further it might be Stone or no one really moving on the backend. A first round loss or miss the playoffs altogether then I can see Brodie or Hamilton being shopped
Old 11-15-2017, 11:37 AM   #3813
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Flames were in on Kyle Turris?

https://t.co/aCB9EdzRgo
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 11:43 AM   #3814
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

Funny, just caught myself thinking 'of course'! I guess the nice part of having BT as a GM is that it's assumed we are in on everything. Perhaps that's misplaced confidence, but I like it nonetheless!
Old 11-15-2017, 11:46 AM   #3815
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

I wonder now if the Flames feel Backlunds next contract will not fit in the Flames plans moving forward.

Tkachuk is gonna have to get paid pretty quick here. If Jankowski has a great rookie season leading into the deadline he's gonna get a good chunk of cap space too.

I feel Backlund should be a flame for life but maybe the salary cap isn't going to allow it.

That's going to be Trelivings biggest obstacle at deadline day and into the off-season.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:48 AM   #3816
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think their really is a need to fill that top line RW hole anymore. For about 45 games now that has been filled by Ferland, and outside of the odd stretch it's been really good.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 11:49 AM   #3817
metal_geek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Treliving has his fingers in everything. Seems like it might be more Brad doing his thing combined with a possible lack of league interest/options for turris. I mean if someone like Turris is gonna move mid season it had to be a deal like the one that went down. Our GM is great
Old 11-15-2017, 11:51 AM   #3818
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I wonder now if the Flames feel Backlunds next contract will not fit in the Flames plans moving forward.

Tkachuk is gonna have to get paid pretty quick here. If Jankowski has a great rookie season leading into the deadline he's gonna get a good chunk of cap space too.

I feel Backlund should be a flame for life but maybe the salary cap isn't going to allow it.

That's going to be Trelivings biggest obstacle at deadline day and into the off-season.
The Backlund contract situation is exactly why I think you'll see the Flames go big for a top tier scoring winger at the deadline. The chips are going to be pushed in this season, for fear of uncertainty going forward.

We have the defensive depth that we should be able to weather the war of attrition in a long play-off run.

We have Smith in the net who looks poised to carry the team deep.

We have solid forward depth, but are absolutely missing that "trigger man" on the PP. Outside of that hole, we have the depth to replace a number of different roles if injuries should strike.

For better or worse, I do believe the Flames are looking at this season as a year to push. I don't think you'll see the Flames subtract anything meaningful from the roster, but adding...a James Neal? Rick Nash? Yeah, I won't be surprised to see that 2019 1st round pick traded alongside something else in a rental acquisition.

Last edited by ComixZone; 11-15-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:55 AM   #3819
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Just over $12 million come off the books next year from expiring UFA contracts, including Backlund's. Depending on how the rookies are developing, there could be some replacement value already in the system and under contract (e.g. Versteeg, Stajan out and Mangiapane, Hathaway in).

I don't see a problem in resigning Backlund, but it really depends on how much confidence the Flames brass has in the juniors stepping up.

I see us trading a D asset before we move/let Backlund walk.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:59 AM   #3820
RichKlit
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Wouldn't they just move one of the higher priced dmen if cap space is needed?
Closed Thread