Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-15-2018, 03:26 PM   #1141
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Not that celebrities matter in the grand scheme of things but was anyone else a little disappointed in the lack of public support or feelings towards Gord Downie and the Tragically Hip dating back to his diagnoses from Canada's huge celebrity community?

Especially these days where Canadian artists are a more powerful force than ever in music. You've got Drake, Beiber, Alessia Cara, The Weeknd, Sean Mendes etc all topping the charts and so many more in film and TV, and the CBC and other media had to reach so far for anything, basically posting a few "So sad to hear (Canadian flag icon) -Seth Rogan" type comments.

I figured we'd hear about more than a few celebrities making it a point in their lives to see the Hip one more time on their last tour, and figured we'd even see a big number at the final show with "I wouldn't miss this for the world" type proclamations.

But really just a whole lot of nothing, seems the Hip meant way more to the rest of Canada than our celebrity community.

Last edited by jayswin; 01-15-2018 at 03:29 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:51 PM   #1142
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Not that celebrities matter in the grand scheme of things but was anyone else a little disappointed in the lack of public support or feelings towards Gord Downie and the Tragically Hip dating back to his diagnoses from Canada's huge celebrity community?

Especially these days where Canadian artists are a more powerful force than ever in music. You've got Drake, Beiber, Alessia Cara, The Weeknd, Sean Mendes etc all topping the charts and so many more in film and TV, and the CBC and other media had to reach so far for anything, basically posting a few "So sad to hear (Canadian flag icon) -Seth Rogan" type comments.

I figured we'd hear about more than a few celebrities making it a point in their lives to see the Hip one more time on their last tour, and figured we'd even see a big number at the final show with "I wouldn't miss this for the world" type proclamations.

But really just a whole lot of nothing, seems the Hip meant way more to the rest of Canada than our celebrity community.

I think it helps if you had grown up with Downie's music though. I doubt that many of the younger mainstream pop acts like Bieber or Shawn Mendes know much about the Hip or their impact on Canadian music, or if they even care that much. So I wasn't surprised at all that those people didn't talk about Gord's influence after he passed.

Drake did though, so good on him.

Plenty of other artists/celebrities chimed in as well, including people like Neil Young, Feist, Dallas Green, Sarah Harmer, Blue Rodeo, Rush, Barenaked Ladies, Sarah McLachlan, Joel Plaskett, the Sadies, Our Lady Peace, Cowboy Junkies, Stars, Ron Hawkins (Lowest of the Low), Arkells, George Strombo, Bob Rock, the entire Hockey Night in Canada crew, and a whole bunch of other people too numerous to list here. Some just shared their thoughts and condolences. Others, like Feist, recorded cover versions of Hip songs (her version of "Flamenco" is absolutely stunning).

This article in Macleans by Dave Bidini is probably my favorite piece on Downie's passing. I highly recommend giving it a read if you haven't already. It really hits you in the feels.

http://www.macleans.ca/opinion/the-g...to-this-world/

And then there's this guy:

I also like Geddy Lee's take:

Last edited by direwolf; 01-15-2018 at 04:54 PM.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2018, 04:58 PM   #1143
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

That's all fair, I guess I was specifically disappointed in artists that made it in the US as they always seem to lose a lot of their Canadian-ness. Didn't know about Drake and you're probably right about the age of the others.

Beiber was a little disappointing as he actually talked about the Hip being an influence early on in his career and even used to proudly cover Wheat Kings even though 0% of his audience on his non Canadian dates would have known it.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:00 PM   #1144
Hockeyboy2
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post

Celebrities definitely matter as everyone does on a micro level, Gord Downie had friends and family and I am sure they will miss him very much. Same as if you or me croaked our friends and family should and would be the ones that care the most. Fame is fleeting and so are the feelings of most who are not close to those individuals.

I think you will find that today the Tragically Hip are not that relevant in the popular music category which is why his death was not very well publicized North American wide. The same could be said about the artists that I like as well, their music just is not relevant anymore, success and popularity are very fleeting.

I think this is why you see the lack of public support and feelings.

BTW you mentioned that Canadian music is now more of a force than it ever has been. So what about in the early 90's when Bryan Adams, Alanis Morrisette and Celine Dion among others were at the top of their popularity? I considered them to be pretty huge when I was a kid, would you say that the artists you noted from today are bigger? Yes I am serious in case your asking if I am serious haha!
Hockeyboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:36 PM   #1145
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Dying of cancer is a fairly personal thing. You don't know what these celebrities may have done or said to Gord personally.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2018, 11:35 AM   #1146
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir skated to Long Time Running at the Olympic Figure Skating Gala this weekend.

https://olympics.cbc.ca/video/highli...ie-gala-skate/
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frequitude For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2018, 04:17 PM   #1147
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Damn onions
Old 02-26-2018, 06:44 PM   #1148
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir skated to Long Time Running at the Olympic Figure Skating Gala this weekend.

https://olympics.cbc.ca/video/highli...ie-gala-skate/
I find those 2 very annoying, but that was a nice gesture and performance.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 01:06 PM   #1149
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just picked up the new biography on the Hip by music journalist Michael Barclay. It wasn't supposed to be on shelves until April 3rd, but it looks like most book stores have it in stock now. I'm just a couple chapters in, and it's pretty damn good so far.

https://ecwpress.com/products/the-hip

https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca...#overlayOpen=1

Barclay has written many articles for Macleans and Exclaim, and is also the co-author of the excellent CanRock tome "Have Not Been the Same". If you have even a passing interesting in Canadian alternative & indie rock, that book is an absolute must read.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2018, 02:14 PM   #1150
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/b...9780771014567/

About On a Cold Road

David Bidini, rhythm guitarist with the Rheostatics, knows all too well what the life of a rock band in Canada involves: storied arenas one tour and bars wallpapered with photos of forgotten bands the next. Zit-speckled fans begging for a guitar pick and angry drunks chucking twenty-sixers and pint glasses. Opulent tour buses riding through apocalyptic snowstorms and cramped vans that reek of dope and beer. Brilliant performances and heart-sinking break-ups.

Bidini has played all across the country many times, in venues as far flung and unalike as Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto and the Royal Albert Hotel in Winnipeg. In 1996, when the Rheostatics opened for the Tragically Hip on their Trouble at the Henhouse tour, Bidini kept a diary. In On a Cold Road he weaves his colourful tales about that tour with revealing and hilarious anecdotes from the pioneers of Canadian rock – including BTO, Goddo, the Stampeders, Max Webster, Crowbar, the Guess Who, Triumph, Trooper, Bruce Cockburn, Gale Garnett, and Tommy Chong – whom Bidini later interviewed in an effort to compare their experiences with his. The result is an original, vivid, and unforgettable picture of what it has meant, for the last forty years, to be a rock musician in Canada.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2018, 02:30 PM   #1151
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/b...9780771014567/

About On a Cold Road

David Bidini, rhythm guitarist with the Rheostatics, knows all too well what the life of a rock band in Canada involves: storied arenas one tour and bars wallpapered with photos of forgotten bands the next. Zit-speckled fans begging for a guitar pick and angry drunks chucking twenty-sixers and pint glasses. Opulent tour buses riding through apocalyptic snowstorms and cramped vans that reek of dope and beer. Brilliant performances and heart-sinking break-ups.

Bidini has played all across the country many times, in venues as far flung and unalike as Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto and the Royal Albert Hotel in Winnipeg. In 1996, when the Rheostatics opened for the Tragically Hip on their Trouble at the Henhouse tour, Bidini kept a diary. In On a Cold Road he weaves his colourful tales about that tour with revealing and hilarious anecdotes from the pioneers of Canadian rock – including BTO, Goddo, the Stampeders, Max Webster, Crowbar, the Guess Who, Triumph, Trooper, Bruce Cockburn, Gale Garnett, and Tommy Chong – whom Bidini later interviewed in an effort to compare their experiences with his. The result is an original, vivid, and unforgettable picture of what it has meant, for the last forty years, to be a rock musician in Canada.

Another one of my favorites! Great book.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:32 PM   #1152
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Sloan just released a new song with a reference to Gord.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 08:25 PM   #1153
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Downie tribute from tonight's Junos. Damn onions.

(for the Flames fans, Travis Hamonic appears around the 0:21 mark)

Last edited by direwolf; 03-25-2018 at 08:33 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 05:02 PM   #1154
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pearl Jam in Barcelona last night. Check out Jeff Ament's t-shirt.

Old 07-12-2018, 05:33 PM   #1155
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's a great little tribute. They weren't famous down there for the most part, so for Pearl Jam to recognize Gord like that is awesome.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:30 AM   #1156
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

One year ago today.

We miss ya, Gord.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:03 PM   #1157
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still hard to believe Gord is gone. So much charisma and talent, and just a great human being. I miss him.

That last record of theirs, Man Machine Poem, is one of the best the Hip have ever made IMO. I imagine it's not easy to knock it out of the park on your 14 album, but they certainly delivered.

This song is so beautiful:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2018, 11:16 PM   #1158
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's the full version of the CBC documentary "Finding the Secret Path" which aired last week. The film chronicles the preparations leading up to Gord's Secret Path concerts that he performed shortly after the Hip tour ended.

https://watch.cbc.ca/media/the-secre...5a-00f9955778e

Last edited by direwolf; 10-18-2018 at 01:00 AM.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:30 PM   #1159
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hey guys just wanted to mention that some friends and I released our tragically hip podcast today.
It's called 'The Cast of the Unplucked Gems' and the show breaks down hip songs album by album, beginning with the self titled EP.
The first 3 Episodes are up with the latest being Road Apples. Give us a listen on ITunes, Stitcher, or at www.hipcast.meterroom.ca

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to handgroen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2018, 12:10 AM   #1160
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Still hard to believe Gord is gone. So much charisma and talent, and just a great human being. I miss him.

That last record of theirs, Man Machine Poem, is one of the best the Hip have ever made IMO. I imagine it's not easy to knock it out of the park on your 14 album, but they certainly delivered.

This song is so beautiful:

Totally agree. That is a powerful emotional and haunting record
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote